A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,446
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making clothes look dirty without uhm, being dirty? ;D  (Read 1608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

thekrystalmethod
« on: October 03, 2007 03:16:24 PM »

Hey guys!

A friend of mine referred me here to your site because she feels that this is a great community that will help me get the answers/help that I need.

Halloween is coming up and I wanted to attempt at making the Silent Hill nurse costume. Being that I have no sewing experience really [for lack of sewing machine!], I thought I'd get an already made nurse dress. Now my only problem is making it look dirty and gritty like it does in the video game. And for those who want a visual, this is what it looks like:

http://silenthill.ugo.com/images/galleries/silenthill_enemies_games/bubbleheadnurse_1.jpg

I'm thinking tea or coffee to stain the dress (it's white). Leave it in there for about an hour or so and let it hang dry. My questions are this:

1. Won't the outfit smell after that? [which leads to...]

2. If I do wash it to get the smell out, won't the color start to fade and not look so dirty/grittish? So how can I prevent this from happening?

3. I want to add blood stains that look old as well as ones that look fresh. I figured the fresh ones I can splatter myself day of, but for the antiqued ones, I was thinking maybe using some sort of maroon dye and splashing it on the outfit and letting it dry out. Or should I use the fake blood and let it dry on the outfit?

So those are my questions. Oh, and I'm definitely open to feedback, opinions, and/or suggestions for this.

Thanks to everyone in advance! <3

P.S. Also, I plan to wrap my head in gauze, think the tea/coffee thing will work on it to make it look aged/dirty/gritty?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachieann55
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007 05:23:09 PM »

i did the coffe  stain to dye some lace darker, it did smell, but not for long, like a day or two.  so far washing it hasn't faded the stain, but i also didn't wash it for about a week after staining it.

i have no clue about the blood stains though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007 11:34:03 AM »

shoe polish works well for dirtying things as well. perhaps that comes in red?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007 05:00:07 PM »

Use acrylic paints for your "blood"- fake blood either doesn't dry or doesn't look right when dried, some stay sticky forever. 2 bottles of 87 cent craft acrylics at Hobby Lobby/ Michael's/ JoAnn's should do you just fine, look right, and be actually clean while wearing vs. fake blood and other stuff that will smear, smodge, transfer, yadda yadda.

if you intentionally twist up & secure (like string or rubber bands to keep in knotted) your item to be dyed before dousing it, you get some neat mottled effects- this would probablly look really good with your intended look & a coffee dye : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leradny
Vintage Connoisseur

wild seahorses couldn't drag me away

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007 09:45:28 PM »

I second the dye suggestions, and if you want a non-scented alternative to the tea/coffee staining, just use some yellow dye and put it out in the sun to dry off.  I find that sunlight really fades just-dyed shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
apriljane
They named the dog Indiana!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 10:54:16 PM »

I used a little spray bottle of varying portions of water and RIT dye in browns, greens, and black to distress and age my Boushh Leia Skywalker costume.

It's best to start off with 1/4 RIT, the rest water in the lightest shade you have, like a light brown. Spritz, shake the item, dab a little to spread the droplets and make for a smoother color transition, then let it dry.
It takes a while, but it's alot more realistic. Also, you work your way up to having the cahones to really spray on the darker shaded, higher concentrations of the 'deepest' aged spots.

Also, tea-dyeing works pretty well--for small items.
If you're able to cram it into a large glass jar and still get the superstrength tea in and screw the lid on, you're good to go. It's alot easier to let it stew in the jar than any other method I've tried.

I save all my old teabags (and collect them from others) and brew the supertea. It normally takes two go's before it's dark enough, and at least 4 teabags per cup of water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For Sale - wigs, clothes, costumes, shoes, jewelry:
Online Yard Sale!

My Wists

My Costuming Site (under construction)
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007 12:44:59 AM »

my kinda question!!

for a *dirt* look:
take paint (regular acrylic craft paint, in 3 colors of dirt, light, medium and dark) and sand and water, mix at a 50/50 water to paint ratio(keep them seperate) mix in the sand to each container ( for a regular size dress, i would say mix an entire bottle of paint to one cup of water and add 1/2 cup of sand) apply in 3 stages...first light, then medium, then dark....but leave a little in each cup, to make sure you get even coverage...

for set in blood:
use brown acrylic paint at a 3 to 1 ratio (you want the consistency of blood, or milk) and lay it on the grass outside, and drip, plop and smear the blood on, and let it dry (the water will add the needed mottling)

for new blood:
use either: acrylic paint (cheap) or blood glue sticks (not expensive, but more expensive, more realistic)
if you choose the latter, i would still buy a blood red paint to ensure smearing and multiple bloody scenes, the blood sticks are great for plastic, and temporary, day of on fabric, but not permanent...

there are a million other ways, but paint is the cheapest, easiest and most effective...

i was the stage manager/costume and set designer at my high school.........knowing this stuff was important.....and im so sad that im still proud of that.......i know it now, because my whole house is obsessed with realistic gore and story telling (both horror and non) so im still the go-to for make up and costuming...

one year i went as *failed suicide attempt girl* (dadada) and i had blood everywhere, wounds, bruises, tears in my clothes....easily the goriest, but not the only blood shed halloween...haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007 09:18:28 AM »

I was a silent hill nurse last year and again this year (we've upgraded with costume contacts and better weapons! woo!)

anyway, to stain our dresses, we used a mister (erm, that looks weird... a spray bottle set to fine mist) and then over the course of a week layered on different mixtures of coffee, tea, diluted green/brown food colouring (to look like mold), etc. - anything we could think of really. for the mold colours in particular, we used a less fine mist so there were visible spots. its best to let dry between the mistings because everything would kind of mix together if it all got too wet. and, btw, no smells. then for the blood, we had some store bought blood gel that we used to make hand prints, streaks and splatters on the dress. i found it looked too fake, so we then made our own blood with this recipe:
Dilute K-Y Lubricant with water until you get a syrupy consistency, add some flour or white frosting mix to make the mixture opaque, then add red and yellow to get a good blood color. add a bit of green food coloring to get reddish brown. Real dried blood is quite brown, but it'll look better if its still a bit red. apply and let it dry. This mixture has a great looks when it is dry.
this recipe was amazing, made great dark crusty blood. we used the mixture to layer over the other fake blood and, together, the two give a new and old blood effect. we also went outside in the full costumes and had someone whip gobs of the blood at us to get realistic spatter patterns. i think that is all we did to the dresses, hope its helpful. oh, we also used iron on transfers to put the red cross and Brookhaven Hospital logo. these are like, seriously, the funnest costumes ever to wear. we SCARED people ^_^

here is a shot of the dress... i'm not wearing the mask in this. i suggest making a removable mask and then doing makeup underneath, it gets hot wearing the masks for too long in a club.

btw, this is from last year - i will post the updated costume when its all done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007 02:19:09 PM »

that looks awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
alyce1611
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007 03:20:12 PM »

i don't know if this is helpful at all but last week when i delivered a package to my upstairs neighbor (who is new in the building), i wondered at first why she kept staring at my sweat pants. hmmm. then i went back downstairs where my niece, nephew and i were making brownies from a powdered mix. i apparently had the unfortunate
experience of having no apron handy, and wiping my hands on my sweats as we cleaned up. the kids thought that was a hoot so they too wiped their hands on me. it was just the brown powder from the mix that had spilled onto the table, but it really looked filthy and you could not tell it was just powdered chocolate. plus, i could not merely wipe it off with a napkin or brush it off with my hands, it really got into the fibers. i looked like i had rolled down a dirt road. wonder if something like nestle quick would also work? no bad smell and did come out when washed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs
@Home This Weekend: Hamper Revamp
Tute Tuesday: Felt Owl Costume

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...