A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,640
Currently Running With Scissors:
251 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toy recalls and the handmade christmas...  (Read 9075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kedrock
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007 11:38:22 AM »

Love all these ideas!  Thanks everyone for sharing...

One scrapbooking idea I've been itching to make for my daughter is a photo album of loved ones. 

Piggy-backing on the scrapbook idea:  I made an ABC album for my son with one page for each letter of the alphabet and a photo that goes with it.  "A is for Aunts" and I put a photo of each aunt.  He loved it when he was 2 and even more now that he is older.

Another idea I have is for a simple drawstring bag to hold toys in.  The key is to use fabric that the kid really likes.  (Of course, we need to be careful of strings around small kids...I keep mine super short.)  This has been a big hit with 2 and 3 year olds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007 12:57:56 PM »

Speaking of... does anyone know a good pattern or tutorial for the soft baby activity books?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jan1972
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007 03:31:49 AM »

Thers some great ideas here.  I'm making all the children in our family I spy bags this year.  To make them personal I have printed photo's of the family onto shrink plastic, so they can find mum or grandad as well as all the other little bits.  I'm making these for my 12yo son and 16yo niece as well, as they both saw my prototype and asked for them.
Going to make them with a small window and the tiniest items I can find for the older ones to make them more difficult.

Janette
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007 06:10:10 AM »

Thers some great ideas here.  I'm making all the children in our family I spy bags this year.  To make them personal I have printed photo's of the family onto shrink plastic, so they can find mum or grandad as well as all the other little bits.  I'm making these for my 12yo son and 16yo niece as well, as they both saw my prototype and asked for them.
Going to make them with a small window and the tiniest items I can find for the older ones to make them more difficult.

Janette

I've also seen people make I Spy bags for older kids with only all-white items in the white beads to make it harder. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bardtard
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007 09:25:15 AM »

I've got a 10 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. It was so much easier to make them stuff in the past. This year poses challenge.

My daughter has an American Girl Doll so making doll clothes and knitting a doll sweater hung on home-made doll hangers (cut down a human coat hanger and bend and twist). She's also got an easy bake oven and just yesterday I found make-your-own recipes: http://www.budget101.com/kids.htm#Easy_Bake_Mixes

Stocking stuffers I could make. Jacobs ladders, book thongs, sweets, ornaments, etc...

My son? Don't know yet. He loves Star Wars so maybe I could make a see thru vinyl "guy" holder for the back of the closet door.

Last night I let them pick a charity we will donate to. They chose The Heifer Project and we're buying a goat:
http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/k.9430/Gift_Catalog.htm?msource=kw1882

DON'T FORGET..... books, new or used, are always a good gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2007 10:12:01 AM »

So after speakaboo suggested making a play mat for toy cars, I ran it past the husband and he freaked out over how much fun it would be.

I hit up JoAnn's over the Veteran's Day sale, and all the red tag clearance fabric was an extra 50% off.  I got 3 3/4 yds of lush green sherpa style green stuff, I intended to get 4 yards, but the girl rang me up for 3 and then gave me the remaining 3/4 of a yard at 75% off.  I believe I paid $6 for almost 4 yards of "grass" for his new fabric roadway.  I got some felt sheets for 20 cents each, and we are going to sew on the roads and landscape this weekend.  The best part, though, is that the fabric I found is soft and big enough to be a blanket, and doesn't need to be hemmed because it's no fray stuff.  We've been using it as a blanket the last few days because it's so comfy. 

So voila!  blanket and race track all in one.  And a huge blanket/track at that.

Also, my son recently confiscated one of my old cabbage patch dolls.  I'm either going to have to find him his own doll (which seriously, is there such a thing as a non-ugly, non-girly BOY baby doll?  IMPOSSIBLE! I've been all over looking for one) or make some new outfits for the one he fell in love with.  He's only two, and he's just figuring out that boys and girls are different, so every girl is mama and every boy is dada.  His baby's name is "Mama", and we have to call her that.  So now in our house there's mama the mom and mama the baby.  Yunno, so nobody gets confused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2007 11:01:32 AM »

Waldorf dolls are wonderful - http://simmy.typepad.com/echoesofadream/2006/10/basic_instructi.html
There are also a lot of people who make them in their homes and sell them - they're pricey to buy already made, close to $100 - but the boy dolls look wonderful.
Selkie - Waldorf mom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
bardtard
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2007 11:25:09 AM »

AAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! How easy would THIS be to make?!?!?! I say very easy. In August I moved from a huge house with 4 bedroom, 3 baths, a library, a play room, 7 acres....... to an itty bitty row house  with only 6 rooms in a quaint village with no acreage (left an abusive husband) and my daughter's room is soooo cramped she doesn't have a "special" place to read and has been telling me she wants a hammock above her bed. Well, this is the HAMMOCK SEAT and it sells at Ten Thousand Villages for more than $100.  Heck, I can make two, one for each kid. Oh, I am so enthused now.

http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/catalog/product.detail.php?product_id=8161
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007 12:22:27 PM »

Thanks Selkie!  Those dolls look easy enough to make, and I could even make it look like him!  I already have fiber fill for the body and yellow yarn for hair, I would just need flesh toned fabric.  Cool!

bardtard- I've seen those kind of chairs at fairs before...they are so comfy, I would've loved one of those in my room.  Just make sure you mount it in a really sturdy spot, I bet you could find something online about how to find a beam in your ceiling.  Google something like hanging hammock chair from ceiling or finding ceiling beam. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bardtard
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007 01:22:39 PM »

Cut into the ceiling and bolt in some metal support to your joist. My friend's brother built a swing for her daughter's room to hold 300 lbs. But it looks like it's just there. Know where I can buy Guatemalan fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...