A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
267 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toy recalls and the handmade christmas...  (Read 9057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007 04:33:54 PM »

I made some for my niece with cardstock and then I covered them with clear contact paper so she couldn't rip them.  I used this website

http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/9169/betsy.html

sometimes it takes a little bit to get on it but it's worth the 'keep trying" 
its worth it.  They are SO cute.  I always say "Yahtzee!" when it does open.  I can get on about every other hour..lol.. but never when I want to.

If it doesn't work at all EVER for anyone I will scan them in and send them over to you. 

One more  thing.  I always see the Gwen Stephani for HP thing.  I went there and she actually has some cute stuff to print off on her little portion of their website.  You can make dolls and such but they don't have outfits.. cards, etc too.  I thought of doing some cards for my older nieces.  Check it out.  You'll be surprised.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 04:56:34 PM by jnaos » THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007 05:31:09 PM »

I loved paper dolls growing up!

My grandma found some for me at a yard sale when I was a kid, and they were FANTASTIC.  They were mounted on magnetic sheets!  That way, I could play with them on the fridge, and their clothes would stick without bending (and tearing) the tabs.  I have never seen them anywhere-- but I bet they would be so easy to make with a few sheets of magnetic paper, and then mount some heavy cardstock on to them with rubber cement.  OOH OOH idea!  And what if, since you're making them yourself anyway, you used a photo and cartoon likeness of the gift recipient to be the "doll" instead of any old generic face?! 

I need a daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007 08:11:53 AM »

Not sure if this will help but I know we got some good ideas of gifts to make our niece and nephews from here - http://www.hearthsong.com
They have a lot of cool toys... we plan to re-create some of the block sets and craft kits  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kedrock
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007 06:00:36 PM »

I love the ideas here.  Thanks for sharing everyone!  I have 11 nieces and nephews I would like to make presents for.  Buying gifts from a store would be way too expensive.  Here are some ideas I have:

Soft stuffed blocks with different textured fabrics on each side

Gift certificate for a sewing class to make a pair of shorts.  (I did this with my 8 year old niece for her birthday this year and she said it was her favorite gift).

Help!  What can I make for a 13 year old boy that he might possibly like? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007 02:26:35 AM »

I think the suggestion I've heard the most around here for boys of that age is to knit a hacky sack if you know how.  They're quick and mega cheap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007 07:00:39 AM »

Not sure if this will help but I know we got some good ideas of gifts to make our niece and nephews from here - http://www.hearthsong.com
They have a lot of cool toys... we plan to re-create some of the block sets and craft kits  Grin

Kwik Sew sells a pattern for this puppet theater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007 07:19:45 AM »

I guess I hit post?  I wasn't finished!

I'm making (from instructions found online):

this knotted doll
this cube baby toy

You could also easily dye some playsilks from purchased habotai (china silk) scarves - you can get the scarves inexpensively from Dharma Trading or Thai Silks, and they can be dyed with fabric dye or kool-aid.  I had a hard time finding a description of playsilks, but I guess this retailer sums it up pretty well: http://www.elliebelly.com/catalog.html?category=4

I'd love to hear more ideas of what people are making for babies/toddlers this holiday season - amazingly I just scanned the baby shower board and came up with very little!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Speakaboo
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007 08:30:18 AM »

I've done a quilted doorway puppet theater in the past (before I knew that doorway puppet theaters actually really existed!)

This is it on the floor (don't have a pic of it hanging in their doorway)

It was quite easy to make.  Just ensure that the area around the opening is reinforced (I used doweling in a pocket just under the opening) so that it doesn't sag.  I made mine so that it can roll up and be put in a bag (similar to a yoga bag) for storage.  It also has extra scenes (under-water, forest, castle, sky) that can be velcroed to the "window" top.

Last year, I also made a playmat for my son, with a road on it so he could zoom his cars around.

This year, I plan to make a few more puppets for the theater.  I'm also going to make a sketch pad/pencil crayon case, similar to the pencil rolls that people have been making lately, but with an area for a sketch pad on one side.  My daughter loves drawing, and it'd be nice to have an easy way to take her supplies along with her on car trips.  I had plenty of other ideas for homemade gifts, but they've momentarily slipped my mind!  I'll be back to update later, and to get more ideas, I'm sure. Wink

Felt boards are super easy to make.  I did one a couple of years ago  , for free with materials I had around the house.  I used an old Ikea picture frame (that originally cost $5 for 2, but I had this one sitting  in storage for years) and replaced the glass with a piece of flannel.  I sewed a quick pouch that I attached to the bottom of the frame for storage, and cut out a ton of felt letters and numbers, along with some shapes and figures.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007 08:50:23 AM »

Speakaboo- AWESOME ideas.

I bet my husband would really, really get into making a play mat for toy cars. 

We're making salt dough ornaments this weekend for the parents/grandparents' trees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_avalanche
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007 11:08:36 AM »

Love all these ideas!  Thanks everyone for sharing...

Another easy idea for toddlers would be a handmade smock/apron packaged up with some craft supplies like finger-paints. 

One scrapbooking idea I've been itching to make for my daughter is a photo album of loved ones.  All my family is out of state, so I really want to make a little photo album of all the aunts/uncles/grandparents/etc.   Bonus points if I can find nice pictures of her with each of the folks!

Oh, and pillowcases are cool gifts for kids.  My DD is still in a crib, but I'm planning to start stashing away holiday flannels as I find them on sale this year, and then I'll make her one for every holiday.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...