A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 315,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need ideas  (Read 1789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Kimberlie
« on: December 15, 2004 09:08:43 PM »

Help!  I need some ideas of some easy sewing projects.  I am just learning how to use my sewing machine and need ideas of what to do with it. 

Any Ideas e-mail me at Kawhite@gmail.com or post here.

Kimberlie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exodus3318
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004 01:05:44 PM »

Skirts with elastic waistbands are the easiest. In my humble opinion anyway...You basically stich up the sides, make a casing for the elastic, and hem. Then you're ready to wear it.  Simplicity 7090 is a good patern to start with. Another easy project is an off the shoulder top (Simplicity 5875) It was my second project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body. -- C. S. Lewis.
Kimberlie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004 01:14:30 PM »

I thought a skirt would have been a hard project.  I have been doing quilts.  Buying the Crib blankets out of the fabric section at wal-mart and putting binding tape on and sewing them together.  I have done 2 of those made a valance for my computer room window and that is about it.  I just bought today some fabric to do a quilted Care Bear diaper bag and I want to make a fabric bag to put plastic grocery bas in. 

Kimberlie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005 01:48:36 AM »

Nah, skirts are easy (depending on the style of course, but a plain skirt is really easy).

My first ever project was a cushion.
You get two squares of fabric (the same size).
Sew round the edges, right sides together. (You probably know this, but that's the side that has the pattern/pile on it, the side you want to show, rather than the opposite of left, as it were.)
When you sew, leave a little gap in the middle of one side (I find about an inch or an inch and a half works, but it really depends on how big you're making your cushion.)
Turn the cushion right side out and stuff it (you can use leftover bits of fabric for this, or get some fibrefill stuffing or plastic "beans").
Hand-sew the gap closed and there you are, one cushion! Cheesy

You can decorate it in weird ways too if you want, like when you're sewing the fabric together, you can put fringes on it (put the fabric strip the fringe is on around the edges with the fringe sandwiched between the pieces so that when you turn it inside out, the fringe will be on the outside. You can pin it in place if you like, but take the pins out as you come to them when sewing or you'll damage your machine.)
You can sew tassels on the corners or if you want to be really ambitious, embroider the right side of one of the fabric squares before you sew them together.
You don't have to use squares either; you could make your cushion any shape you like! Just go crazy with it. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kandipop77
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 02:55:01 PM »

You should try a simple book bag. they are easy,and they are useful too, cause if you are anything like me skirts aren't.
You can get a pattern that included a bunch of different styles of purses and bags, start with the easier one and move up to the hardest one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimberlie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005 07:15:52 PM »

Laugh, About all skirts are good for with me is more fabric for other projects. 

Kimberlie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...