A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hubby's Christmas Gift, Modeled!  (Read 2469 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2004 06:39:21 AM »

A week ago I finished one of hubby's Christmas Gifts and only now got the chance to take pics. I made one for hubby and a matching one for the 8yo son. The 8yo ran off with his already, but hubby's was available to take pics of- however hubby wasn't. So hubby's hat is seen modeled here by our 3month old.

I do so love that scared surprise look that babies get when you take their picture.

This is the hat by itself, without the cute surprised and scared baby.

The hat is about 2feet long, w/ a tassle (I'm sorry, you just can't make a hat without a tassle). I used Red Heart yarn from Walmart ($2.17) in "Camoflauge".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004 07:05:53 AM »

ohmygosh, that baby is so adorable!
oh yes..... nice job on the hat too. what size needles did you use and what stitch is that? Can you tell I'm a new knitter by the dumb questions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004 11:00:01 AM »

Good thing I am an inexperienced knitter, so I can answer you  Grin (and they weren't dumb questions)

I used size 7 dpns. Sadly I don't know what the name of the stitch is called (is that lame or what?) since I taught myself  from random knitting sites on the web. I know that its usually the first stitch you learn when knitting on 2 regular needles, but when you knit that stitch in the round on circulars or dpns it makes the little "v".

But, basically (bear w/ me since I don't know how to write patterns) I cast on about 75 stitches (I can't remember I was just trying to size for hubby's big head) and just went to town. After knitting past where the end of his head would be, I started decreasing. I decrease three stitches, then knit 4 rows, decrease 3 stitches, knit 4 rows, etc, etc, etc until I got to the end. Then I made a little tassle from the yarn, even separating the yarn strands into its separate strings so it would be full, poofy and wavy (like my hair).

Did that make sense? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
acesulfamek
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004 10:35:01 AM »

Your hat is very cute.  Good "manly" colorway.

When you have the v's on the right side, and the interlocking-on-thier-side-s-shapes (is that at all clear?) on the wrong side - in other words "regular knitting" - it's called stockinette stitch.  If you are knitting flat, it's achived by knitting a row, then purling the next, and so forth, but, as Conley mentioned, when you're working on something circular it sort of makes the purls on its own and you just knit.

Does that help at all, Paper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004 07:05:24 PM »

I just thought I'd post more of my Christmas gifts that I've made, once again using my 3mo as a free non paid model!
I knit this hat for my (get ready) Mother In Law's Longtime Friend's Youngest Daughter. She asked me to make her something so I did. It has pink and purple which are her favorite colors. This will be the pic I'll blackmail my son with when he's older.

I made these for my nephew Gabriel (who is a week older than my boy) they are very simple no thumb mittens (have you ever tried putting thumby mittens on a baby?) with little drawstrings and a string to lace through his jacket sleeves so they won't get lost. I made them very simple so when he grows out of them, my sister in law can use them as pouches for his firsts (like his first lock of hair from his first haircut, his first lost tooth, etc). Sorry about the bad pic, you can't tell but the white in the pic is actually neon green and the other colors are very bright.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...