A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 322,828
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: some tumble sanding questions  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Chicki
« on: September 19, 2007 09:20:55 AM »

Hi everyone!

I just got a kiddie tumbler and want to sand my beads using it.  I have read glassattic and found some interesting information but wanted some opinions.

What works better, wet or dry sanding?  I tried cutting up sandpaper and it curled up and stuck to itself and was a mess.  Do you use any other mediums besides sandpaper?

Thanks for the input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007 10:32:30 PM »

If you line the drum of the tumbler with sandpaper, you need to make sure that it is very secure (taped, whatever) and your little bits of sandpaper are cut to no bigger than 1/4" (that may even be too big, you might want to toss different sized bits into a bowl of soapy water and see how they curl).  Any bigger than that and they will curl up on themselves so much that none of the abrasive is exposed.

Wet sanding is the way to go for most applications.  The water (wit soap to reduce surface tension) helps keep the sandpaper from getting clogged and becoming useless, lubricates the process, and produces a more satiny to glossy finish, as opposed to the matte/a little satiny finish you'd get with dry paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...