A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with the crochet/provisional cast on method  (Read 685 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
michelle2007
« on: September 16, 2007 05:36:49 PM »

Hi  Grin

I am planning on making the tubey sweater from knitty http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html

One thing i don't seem successful with is making the crochet/provisional cast on, i've searched the net and seen methods that come out with perfect live stitches, but when i copy these methods i just end up with a regular crochet chain rather than live stitches... arghh so frustrating!!

I wonder if anyone can help me or direct me to a site that can give simple instructions or where they learned how to do the provisional cast on... and if anyone else finds it difficult???  Huh

Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007 06:50:03 PM »

There is a video of one method here(no crochet hook needed): http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/ (scroll down)

With a crochet hook, the tricky part is to remember to bring the working yarn back under the knitting needle after you pull through.
http://www.knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html (video)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madgirl66
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007 07:18:32 PM »

I just finished the summer shawlette pattern from IWK's Knitting Daily, which required the same cast-on. I'm not much of a crocheter, and I simply crocheted a chain of 11 (if I remember my numbers correctly- don't quote me on that!) loops. I placed 7 of the loops onto one end of my circular needle (with 2 left hanging on each side) and cast on with those loops, simply knitting into the loops themselves.
After starting the pattern and following the directions, I realized the cast-on chain served as "waste yarn", in a way, for me to keep the work going on the opposite side of the knitting I'd already done. I unraveled the chain (you may want to do it in a contrasting color, and it's okay to cut it off or use your yarn needle to undo the chain) and picked up my work from the stitches that were there.
Did that help at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Could you tell me...why you got a dead man with an arm missing in your boot?
   Hey, George...is that a tea cosy on his head?
~Snatch

Simon: How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?
Mal: ...If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
~Firefly
michelle2007
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007 08:36:22 AM »

thanks for the replies and the help  Smiley

I think i'm following and its clear what to do, but when i unravel the temporary cast on, the live stitches don't look the same as the videos i've seen... guess i must be doing some small detail wrong.

This is a great provisional cast on (for anyone who is searching for the same problem) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBIS0AhhQY

its meant for socks but i'm sure can be used for other items that need live stitches held back for the other side.

Lets hope this works for me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
derfburg
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007 06:23:07 PM »

You can also just cast on in any manner with waste yarn, knit a couple of rows and then just start knitting with the working yarn.  I do my provisional cast on this way.  It is the only way I can ever get it to come out right.

Then I pick up the first row of stitches in the working yarn with a long circular and cut/unravel the waste yarn. 

It is kind of the long way around but I always know that it will turn out right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...