A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old CDs / AOL CDs / AOL CD Cases  (Read 201931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cinderblock
astral adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: July 14, 2007 04:02:11 PM »

i did this on my ceiling once with a caulk gun! put the shiny side out and the AOL/CD part in.... i thought mine looked pretty cool, but my mom wasn't too happy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
The 3rd Eye
"they sell us love as divinity, but it's only a social obsenity, underneath they're all lovable."
Beautimus21
« Reply #411 on: July 24, 2007 07:41:10 PM »

I tried this once with not a lot of luck, but now that I have Mod Podge, I'm definitely going to try again.

You take a CD and do a mini "scrapbook" page on the front side. Or just cut a piece of paper/photo the shape of the CD with a quote and glue it on the CD, covering the hole. On the shiney side, stick a piece of magnet on the back. They make beautiful fridge magnets. My last glue didn't hold but I'm definitely going to try again.

Here's a little idea (sort of) since I don't have a pic myself.
http://www.ktcraftsgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=131&pos=0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't have sewing skills-- I glue paper to paper!
cinderblock
astral adventurer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2007 12:53:37 PM »

melt them into pendants
put your oven on to 500 degrees and chop up the cd cases
only use half of the case or it will be really big
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST
The 3rd Eye
"they sell us love as divinity, but it's only a social obsenity, underneath they're all lovable."
countrycarol
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2007 05:48:21 PM »

The CD/mirror image ornament was a great idea!  I'll have to try it with a scout troop soon.  Another good idea I've seen 'old' CDs used for is to glue a tongue depressor to the back of them and use them in plays and programs at Christmas time.  I went to a performance of a living Christmas Tree a few years ago.  They had turned all the lights out except for the tree lights, and sang a song while twirling the CDs back and forth.  The twirling motion of the CDs with the colored lights shining on them was awesome. It made you feel like you were moving too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepyone
« Reply #414 on: October 02, 2007 06:26:48 PM »

to melt a cd or a dvd, try using a heat gun (careful though, that thing gets REALLY hot) and lay the cd on an upside-down tin can  - that way, the cd will droop down to form a bowl shape.
It really looks cool when you use a bluish dvd - the cd sort of went bubbly when i did that process.
It gives the finished product an organic look, kind of like a flower or so. the outside can be spray painted. Then, it could be used as a lampshade, with the shiny side inside - haven't tried that part out yet, though.

here's a whacky idea, that might be fun for a kid's room:
take two cd's, and glue or tape half of a ping-pong ball over each of the holes in the middle. Add a black dot and stick the two cd's to the wall a few inches apart - instant eyeballs for a staring contest!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaw827
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2007 04:51:51 PM »

thanks for posting this thread. i work at a college radio station and i am looking for good ways to use all of our old cds. i will definitely have to try some of these ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlz420
« Reply #416 on: October 21, 2007 02:51:23 PM »

CD's look really cool after you put them in the microwave for a few seconds ( about 5 or when they stop crackling). If you're planning on doing a lot I'd suggest buying a cheap or used microwave. They seem to reduce the microwaves power after so many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2007 06:48:57 PM »

Inspired by another thread somewhere, I have read a couple of these, I made a CD post holder out of CD cases, origmai paper and hot glue (and a bit of sellotape!)

(image removed from quote b/c I'm too new to post pics)

Heres one of the threads about this

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=12352.0

Wow; cool.  I wonder if these can be glued together in such a way that they still open.  Then little notes could be tucked inside, as well - cool quotes, to-do's, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

f150ruff
« Reply #418 on: November 16, 2007 05:37:32 AM »

Micheal's has a couple ideas this is a link for one!!
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e02476

Duncan's has a really cool shirt idea:
cross:
http://www.duncancrafts.com/projectDetails.aspx?id=ce51a10b-a640-4e2e-a7e8-c39247bd3569

Skull:
http://www.duncancrafts.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?id=370ffa2c-a7d1-4b16-a09f-046fed26ea71
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michelleames

August 6, 2005

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #419 on: January 11, 2008 11:44:19 AM »

You could fill a small bag with sand or rocks, then add a CD and tie or sew it closed.  This would make a decent door stopper with a nice flat bottom.

Traveling?  Hook bracelets through the center so that they don't tangle.

Use them as a flat base from which to build fabric Russian nesting-type dolls.

Cut them in half, then build a border around your room connecting the halves into an s-shaped, squiggly border.

Slice a drinking straw at the top, then insert the CD into it, so that it looks like a giant lolly-pop. Decorate and hang at Christmas time.

Glue them onto the bottom of children's cups so that they don't tip over easily.

Drill 4 holes down through four or five CDs, then hang on wire or chain so that they make little shelves to display small art projects.

Cut the CDs like a semi-circle of silveriness (make the cut before the clear part), then attach to projects like butterfly wings.

Use them like Hansel and Gretel "breadcrumbs" by showing the way to a surprise or a kid's party.  Even write "follow  me" on them.

Number them then affix them to the floor with sticky tack for a cakewalk.

Hide them in the backyard for a child's party, like easter eggs.  Write numbers on them that will correspond to prizes for the kids.

Affix them to the hem of a full skirt for a Judy Jetson-like futuristic costume.  Insert a pony tail through one like a hat to complete the look.

Decorate 25 of them, numbered, and use them like an advent calendar around the room.

Attach them together to make a Christmas tree garland - imagine how the lights will sparkle!

OK - enough brainstorming for now... back to work for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...