A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,252
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best way to remember?  (Read 2427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

purple_hippo
« on: December 11, 2004 05:13:46 AM »

My grandmother passed away a couple of months ago and, as my grandfather had already passed away and my mum is an only child, we have inherited a vast amount of old photos, documents etc and I'm the only one who seems really interested in them at the moment.
I'd love to put together some sort of album/scrapbook/tribute for my mum/the family but I'm not sure what to do and how to go about it.
Here's what I have to work with:
* photos - heaps!
* memories - mine and a 20-odd page letter my mum's uncle wrote and sent from overseas
* documents and paperwork - including passports, my grandfather's army paperwork and more
* old cards, letters etc
* lots of family recipes (and btw many need translating - anyone here speak fluent dutch?)
any help is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
monstergirl
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004 02:31:51 PM »

What a great way to pay tribute to your family. What I'd suggest:

1. Divide your stuff into piles (recipes, letters, etc), and try to group your photos roughly by year (1900s, 10s, 20s, etc). Get help with grouping the photos, and I reccomend keeping a little notebook handy to jot down any info family members give you (Oh, that was our first car...etc). These groupings can become 'chapters' of your scrapbook, *OR* you can use the chronology to group similar items together (granddad in the service with his letters home together, family pics with recipes, etc).

2. Check out "Simple Scrapbooks" (they're on the web, i think it's http://www.simplescrapbookmag.com but I'm not sure; google it and you'll get the link); they have a "formula" for planning a scrapbook with a theme, and you can get ideas for cover page, inserts, etc.

3. Search the web and/or check out Memory Makers/Creating Keepsakes/Simple Scrapbooks for "Heritage" page ideas. That's how I'd scrap all the memoribilia, and this will give you ideas for page design, colors, embellishments, etc.

If you don't already scrapbook, make sure you:
**Do not crop these photos unless absolutely necessary. You probably can't get reprints, and you may inadvertently cut someone/thing important out of the frame. For heritage photos, its all important.

And, make sure you invest in some simple, archival materials (black ink pen, adhesive squares/photo corners, acid/lingin free papers and cardstock). With that you can put together the bare-bones of the scrapbook. You may also want to purchase some archival spray, that will keep the papers from crumbling away from age (but check manu. directions and test a little corner first...!) An initial outlay of about $15 can get you started with a very simple book.

Hope this info helps you; I'm not sure how much scrapping experience you have; I've made several scrapbooks for friends, for myself, etc etc. I'd keep it simple at first, get to know the options out there and not go wild with embellishments, and develop a plan for what you want the book to look like.

Good luck, and please post your progress!
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004 03:53:38 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any ideas are welcome.
I had thought of doing something vaguely chronological (pre-war/post-war/coming to Australia etc) but then there were things like recipes which fit nowhere. And then it was the case of do I scrapbook or make a "book" (with photo pages in it), that I can print, bind etc (ie using copies of the photos). Maybe a scrapbook too? It's going to be a huge project! *Sighs* I'll keep you posted though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
monstergirl
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004 06:55:45 PM »

Yeah, no matter where you start it always looks insurmountable. Just take it step by step, and the ideas will come to you as you work on it.

If you're thinking of making multiple books (ie, copies for your family...is that what you're thinking of when you say binding, etc?) you can always color photocopy the pages and have them bound together, or use a digital photo program (scan in pages or just the pictures and memorabilia, put the book together then print out); there are online services that will make bound books out of your digital media, for a price.

Again, good luck!
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilonavg
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005 12:48:19 PM »

Fluent Dutch over here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In olden times when wishing still helped one...
purple_hippo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005 12:21:43 AM »

thanks, if it's okay, I might PM you when I finally get some of the stuff scanned in.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilonavg
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 02:57:30 AM »

thanks, if it's okay, I might PM you when I finally get some of the stuff scanned in.  Smiley

Yes, of course. Looking forward to help you out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In olden times when wishing still helped one...
RERose
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005 06:55:35 AM »

when my aunt was moving we found huge boxes of all my grandmothers old slides, photos and 8mm films.  i made digital scrap books (pretty much scrap book pages turned into dvd menus, and where  some pictures would be, plays movies) for my family for one christmas, but my families HUGE (my moms got 16 siblings) so it actually has become a series done by decade burned unto dvds, with supliments as more things are found in more attics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005 12:37:14 PM »

wow, i dont know if I'd have the technology for that! sounds awesome though. I could do a master copy with the originals and a scanned cd to mail to family overseas....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...