A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 320,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is the standard price of beads?  (Read 1069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

roniti

I'm a craftster disguised as a soldier!

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007 05:14:41 PM »

Yesterday I discovered a craft store not too far from where I live in Israel.  I went inside and started looking around but the prices seemed exaggeratedly high.  They were charging about 6 shekels PER bead, which is about $1.45.  This is the price PER little bead!!!  Call me crazy but I felt it was waaay overpriced.

So I wanted to ask Craftsters: what is the standard price of beads where you're from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eek! I joined the army!  Now I don't have much time for crafting Sad
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 04:46:27 AM »

it depends on what type of bead. you can get a small packet of seed beads here(uk) for about 1 ($2).  boxes of seed beeds are about 2. other types of beads..well it really varies. plain plastic beads are 1 up, and fancier bears, like glass lampwork, ceramic etc, 3 and up for a pack, which might not include very much.

I tend to buy online, mainly from hong kong via ebay, because you can get tonnes of beads, for a way smaller price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Circlesofstone
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 05:54:11 AM »

It depends on the type of bead, but you will find that most retail establishments that have alot of overhead will have to charge more. I know of a local bead store here (south Texas) that sells beads for around $1.00 apiece. I don't buy from this type of store, I would never be able to make a profit if I did.
Buying through catalogs and online you can get a whole strand of beads for just a few (US) dollars. Of course if you want a precious metal or Swarovski crystals they will run you much more. Even then you usually have to buy in bulk to get a decent price.

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 12:04:07 AM »

It definitely depends on the beads.  You can get crappy glass beads for pennies, or  relatively large handmade lampworked beads for $10 USD and up.  Materials can make a big difference, too.  Usually I only buy random little cute beads from actual bead stores and buy regular ones from Fire Mountain Gems.  I bought these incredibly detailed hand-painted porcelain beads for a buck apiece and a sterling silver beat with koi on it for $2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
kittymao
jill-of-all-trades

i try it all... from sculpting to cow brains...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 02:34:11 PM »

i agree. It sounds pretty cheaty.
You could order online, arrange for swaps, or
*my secret here*
go to flea markets and swap meets and buy costume jewelery!

i once got a 20" strand of closionne beads for $5 becuase it was an ugly necklace- you know as soon as I got home I tore it apart and crafted till the sun rose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-be patient... i sew by hand.-
~~nail enamel advocate~~
wanna read my blog?
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007 11:53:59 AM »

Lately all I have been looking for at garage sales is old tear-apartable costume jewelry.  Great source for cheap, unique beads. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
arwena
Art could be ever so funny if it wasn't such a deadly serious business.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007 06:25:38 PM »

When I worked for a bead store (in Montana, where there is no sales tax of course...) MOST single beads were somewhere in the .25 to .50 range, but sterling, ceramic, lampworked and others can be upwards of $5 to $20 each.  A trick I use when searching for bead stores online is to compare what they charge for one type of bead (I use 4 mm swarovski bicones, which shouldn't be over a walk-in bead store's price of .25 (which is high)).  If they are reasonable then I assume the other prices are too.  Kgottfried has the best prices on crystals I have found too, if you are interested.  Don't forget to factor in shipping also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my blog at www.prettylittlethings.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...