A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sugar as an ingredient - A discussion, not proof to remove preservative from your product.  (Read 7117 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pixel_dust
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004 09:03:04 PM »

I make my own jam and I never refrigerate it. I've NEVER had mold either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soapstar
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005 08:47:44 PM »

As far  as the jams go the pH would be less than 7.0 because fruits are acetic.
As for water in the oil scrubs......the oil would float on top of any water that you would
introduce into the jar and therefore the only bacteria that would be able to grow in that
medium would be anaerobic.  This would be extremely remote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005 12:27:38 PM »

What an absolutely fascinating discussion! certainly "food" for thought, so to speak.

Merely as a consumer not a maker or seller of anything, let me just say this thread reminded me why I tend not to buy homecrafted bath/ body products : I simply can't make myself feel safe & secure about some of the formulations and-or ingredients. 

However, that's *not* to say I *do* feel safe & secure about formulations and-or ingredients in oh maybe 99.9999 out of 100 of the commercially-made products out there.  As for products claiming "all-natural" or "all-organic" & such -- well, they're among the ones I often feel least safe n secure about.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005 01:25:03 PM »

That's a shame Ayn...you're missing out on some great products!

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE would assure you that handcrafted soap is safe. It's when you move into lotions, balms, butter, even bath salts that it starts getting REALLY tricky.

Because of that Florida requires you have a cosmetics lic. (manufacturing lic, which is really expensive) before you sell anything OTHER than soap. So if you come across anyone from FLA selling other products, ask if they have the lic. If they do, they are perfectly safe to use- their recipes are registered with the state, challenge tested and just as (if not moreso) good as the 'big guys'.

If they don't- skip it and buy from someone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005 08:35:54 AM »

Hi Lunafate! Oh dear, I'm wayyy too particular about formulations-ingreds in facial / body products to buy the vast majority of commercial brands, never mind buying from an individual I don't know ... definitely no personal offense meant, that's just kinda the way it is, you know?

Re soap, in particular :
I kinda have this lil problem ... I don't like it if it foams. Or perhaps more precisely, my skin doesn't like it. Well gee even out there in the gazillion&one-useless-items commercial market it's tough to find anything that's soap free / sulfates free.  

Re Fla.: Other states sure must be pretty different in regard to licensing / labelling / etc, because most often if I ask about ingredients in a soapcrafter's product I'll get a rather strange look & the answer "um ... soap??" ... lolol
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005 08:40:01 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2005 08:50:27 AM »

Re: soap/sls

There are a few products on the market that are probably what you're looking for, but they are glycerin based. I have a soap that contains no surfactants or propylene glyco, that is made from plant derived materials and that is ph balanced to 8.0 - 9.0l; this sounds more like something you would want.

As for the other soapers not knowing their ingredients- that's wild!

Each bar of soap I make has a blend of oils that I select based on the amount of fatty acids in them. Some of them are high in a fatty acid that gives lather (like coconut oil) and others are high in fatty acids that are skin softening and conditioning (like olive oil). I can tell you the percentage of them in each recipe, why I chose them, what my additives are, why I chose THEM, etc. I'm pretty sure that's the norm with anyone who makes  the traditional soaps.

As for the Melt and Pour, the ingredients are clearly listed on the label of every block of soap base- if not, they should be buying it somewhere else! I label ALL of my soaps with their ingredients- melt and pour included! Again, the soapmakers I know all do the same.

I can't imagine EVER telling someone I don't know what's in my soap! How in the world could I ask them to put it on their skin?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2005 09:15:48 AM »

Lunafate, you cpould probably teach the big manufacturers a thing or two. It's like pulling teeth sometimes to read the microsopic dang labels, forget trying to memorize what all the bizarre ingredients are or to get a straight answer to an inquiry..

May I ask you something about pH ... Is it even possible to make let's say a facial cleanser of some type that's actually quite acidic, i.e., a good bit lower than pH 7 ?

I ask because only in the past several years do I believe I've finally discovered why I've had so much trouble for so long with all different kinds of 'facial' products in particular :   Apparently my skin responds extremely well to acidic things but not at all well to alkaline things.

This includes various substances all the way from those low-pH high-percent-acid 'peel's (for example, AHAs like glycolic, lactic, etc) right down to plain ole vinegar, heehee (love to mix up my own facials or masques with certified-organic / unfiltered apple cider vinegar & even use it straight occasionally as a sort of toner).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retnuh
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2005 02:49:59 PM »

While reading this it occured to me that neither honey nor maple syrup needs to be refrigerated. They do not grow bacteria or mold, and they are almost 100% sugar.

Don't forget pickles, either!  Although the jars and lids all must be sanitary at the time of canning, the INSANE amount of sodium in pickles keeps them bacteria free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Insanity' meets 'relativity' in 'relatively insane' and 'insanely relative.'
amareluna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005 04:35:57 PM »

Good call on the pickle thing- I had forgotten about them!

Ayn-

You should try these out. They are both based with honey-

Honey is antimicrobial for many reasons, including its high sugar content, which limits the amount of water available to bacteria for growth; its relatively high acidity (low pH); and its low protein content, which deprives bacteria of nitrogen needed for growth. The presence in honey of hydrogen peroxide, and the antioxidants honey contains, also inhibit bacterial growth.

Soothing Skin Clarifier (great for minor acne flare-ups)

Mix 1/2 cup warm water with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a cotton ball, apply directly to blemish. Maintain pressure with cotton ball for several minutes, to soften blemish. Using a cotton swab, dab honey on blemish; leave on 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Firming Facial Mask

Whisk together 1 tablespoon honey, 1 egg white, 1 teaspoon glycerin (available at drug and beauty stores) and enough flour to form a paste. Smooth over face and throat. Leave on 10 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005 05:53:53 PM »

Thank you Lunafate! I'm lonnnnng past acne stage (& very luckily never had that or anything more than an occasional pimple back then), but I do like to use honey in home-made personal-use-only masques/ facials/ etc. ... BTW,  honey that's gotten thick & crystallized -- that stage where nooobody wants to bother eating it, you know -- makes a lovely facial scrub just as it is, but you do need to use it very gently (the crystals could possibly scratch). ... Unfortunately I never make anything at all (food or facial) that  requires raw egg whites unless I know for a fact that the eggs come from free range chickens & who/ where the owners are & so on, lol --  but those eggs can be pretty expensive for facial use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...