A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
306 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Stone Wall  (Read 4973 times)
Tags for this thread: faux_rock  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2004 07:45:59 PM »

I did this project awhile back, I don't even live in the same state as this apartment anymore! The apartment was kinda underground, when you looked out the front windows, you were looking at the grass outside. It felt like a dungeon. So I decided to paint it as such. There was a half wall-bump out thing going on that just begged to be stone. I painted the walls in the room a medium grey and dry-brushed a lighter grey over it. It looked great. Sorry the pics are so terrible but all I had at the time was a crappy webcam to take pics with.

detail of the faux stone effect
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 09:11:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid Kills. But not enough to really help.
GirlScoutRiot

Please don't eat the government cheese...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004 03:43:37 PM »

Holy crap, awesome idea! I'm doing my dining room in an outdoor style (it's called "camper", it's been my brainchild for three years now, and I finally own a house to put it in! yay!) and I was wondering if you have any tips on how you painted it like that. I may fabricate some rocks out of foam and/or fiberglass, but faux painting will definitely work for now! Any painting tips? Tx.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise that forever we will never get better at growing up and learning to lie...
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005 07:01:53 PM »

That is so amazingly realistic!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
redqueen

Gabba Gabba Hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005 08:31:03 PM »

Holy crap, awesome idea! I'm doing my dining room in an outdoor style (it's called "camper", it's been my brainchild for three years now, and I finally own a house to put it in! yay!) and I was wondering if you have any tips on how you painted it like that. I may fabricate some rocks out of foam and/or fiberglass, but faux painting will definitely work for now! Any painting tips? Tx.

I'm not sure how I missed your reply to this, I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I think the key to painting a realistic rock is to use warm and cool colors in the rock. If you inspect real rock up close, you see both. I also paint "dirty", as in I don't rinse my sponges when moving from one color to the next. I only rinse them when the color is too mixed and you are getting "mud" so to speak. For this wall I used 5 colors, 3 cool greys (bluish) and 2 warm greys (brownish). Imagine your light source, lighter colors on top and the part that you want to appear like the stick out, darker on the bottom and parts you want to recede. After I was done painting the blocks and removed the tape, I dropped shadows under the blocks with a wash brush. The veins and some highlights were then put in with a script liner and watery light grey paint. Stand back often while working too. The overall effect gets lost up close so back up and check your work. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me. Your "camper" idea sounds like fun.

That is so amazingly realistic! Grin
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid Kills. But not enough to really help.
kategirl
queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005 08:43:59 PM »

wow, that's very realistic!   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squeaky-queen
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005 08:28:40 AM »

That is a fantastic faux stone job.  Goes really well with the theme!  Great idea.

You should dress stage sets for a living - you're great at that kind of thing, obviously!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thrifty_mermaid
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005 02:31:07 PM »

I LOVE IT!!! a totally unique decorating theme, esp for a bathroom, but it is totally awesome! i really like all of the accesories that you put in there too!! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so clear, like the diamond in your ring cut to mirror your intentions, oversized and overwhelmed, the shine of which has caught my eye...
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005 05:15:41 PM »

That's freakin awesome....I love dungeon-y things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...