A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 315,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Whats Scary? Like real life scary?  (Read 5030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LifeInNeon
Ich heie Superphantastisch!

"Shes never even seen her box!"

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2007 09:55:06 PM »

Huh one of my favorite things about fall is decorating my house for halloween. but i don't like doing fake graves stones or playing the monster mash or anything like that, i believe it is my duty to scare the trick-or-treaters as much as possible, make them think they are facing death just going up to the front door because only then do they deserve they're treats.
i like to set up a week or so early, that way no ones really sure if its just decorations or if my family worships the devil or something.
in years past Ive done dolls hanging from my tree with real newses around their necks, with strobe lights, fog, death metal blasting from inside the house. 1 kid even started crying "i don't wanna go up there mommy" so when he did i gave him extra candy for his bravery.

but now I'm stumped on whats within my realm of doing(meaning not to pricey) but still scary and creepy enough to freak out the teenagers who come around.
so i ask you, what would creep you out to the point of not wanting to go to the door, or thinking twice about letting your kids go to the door? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The scissors have learned to run on their own, I fear this might be fatal.
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007 09:59:08 PM »

giant spiders.

zombies.

dark, narrow tunnels or passageways.

walking through spiderwebs is especially gross/scary, cause you never know if a spider was right there on the part of the web you walked through, and is now on you. maybe taking some fake spiderwebs and pulling out very thin sections of strands would work, so you could make them feel like real spiderwebs? especially if you can spray on something that would make them sticky (hair products of some sort?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007 10:04:12 PM »

One fun thing to do is set up a dummy (dressed up like a zombie or something, with a big mask etc.) sitting in a chair on your front porch.  Leave it there for like a week before halloween so everyone in the neighborhood gets used to seeing it.
Then on halloween night, you sit there in the mask and costume instead of the dummy, and when people come up to the door you can jump up, yell, whatever).  I wouldn't do it to any really young kids, but it's fun to mess with the older ones/teenagers.

Also you can do a "body drop": rig up a mannequin in a tree where it's hidden, but so you can pull a rope and make it fall when someone walks by.

Make a really long "tunnel" out of hanging plastic or something to get to the door, like a maze, so you can't see what's around the corner.  You don't even have to have something scary in there, just the creepy tunnel and spooky music playing...

Dolls are a really good idea, a lot of people are pretty freaked out by creepy dolls and statues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
LifeInNeon
Ich heie Superphantastisch!

"Shes never even seen her box!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007 10:19:40 PM »

yeah Ive always wanted to sit on my porch on halloween and scare kids, cause i remember how much it used to scare me. but i have to take into consideration I'm normally doing something halloween night, so i cant count on me being able to be there.

i was thinking maybe realistic looking stuffed animals doused in fake blood and stuck on tall wooden posts? would that be creepy or just disgusting?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The scissors have learned to run on their own, I fear this might be fatal.
Candreya
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007 03:22:04 PM »

If you have the right type of pathway (a straight one from the street to your door), you can ask on freecycle, or look around (not sure where), but find some of those garden thingies that are an archway? get a couple enough for the length of your pathway, and get some trash bags, or black tarps, cover the entire pathway of arches,you may have to pin, sew, or tape the tarps onto the archways, and decorate that bastage till your hearts content! ALSO with those, I went to one as a kid and now I can't enter another one LOL, is to have people hiding on the outside, make it so when the kids can't see them before they enter, and have the people who are hiding scare the daylights by reaching threw the tarp and grabbing them! Also fun to hang plastic skellies in side, with black lights, they turn funky colors, giant spiders, ect. Have the archways lead to your porch, and possibly even see if a friend of yours can stand in as the "dumby" on your porch chair.  Hope this gives you a boost!!! I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pika Pocket
The pocket pirater!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007 08:27:39 PM »

To be honest, having a doll just right next to the door, no noose, or anything, just standing next to the door would be the only thing to really creep me out. The whole dolls hanging by nooses makes me happy. Dolls are creepy enough on their own. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh shiz! She's trying to knit!
anti-emily
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007 10:17:12 PM »

i think the bloody animals on a stick would be amazingly fabulous. especially if they were made to look real.

if they were tall enough, i would looove if when people walked under them they dripped "blood" on the passerby.

maybe you could do some sort of a "butcher shop gone bad" motif. that would be cool...when i was little, that would have scared the bejesus out of me, if it was done well. even as a child, my tolerance for obvious fakeness was very low.

dolls still creep me out. dolls and deformed ghost children....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy.com
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007 03:17:53 AM »

A lot of people get creeped out by scary clowns, so maybe a circus or freakshow theme? You could put up the bunting banners and make them look torn or shredded and paint some blood splashes onto them. Put clown masks around, peeping out your window(s), behind a tree, above the porch, in your bush/shrub plants. If you wanted to go all out you could make your own 'stall' and have a creepy game of some sort, maybe throw the hoop round the dismembered fake body part....
There are some great ideas in this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yomo
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007 04:27:43 PM »

For me it's anything demonic is really scary. It's not always what's right in front of your face that's scary, but what's implied or may lurking about. Over the years we have made quite a few great Halloween props that we use.  We've made some haunted trees. We paper mached pieces of fake skulls and bones onto a tree we made. Then painted it black and red. It looks like they are stuck in the tree. We made a faux fireplace out of skulls. We do set up a graveyeard, but it is more authentic than cheesy. With some of the tombstones moving. We have a ghost like creature on a zip line that flies down to the trick or treaters from the trees. This year we are going to have a woman that levitates. And some motorized rats that look they are feeding on a body. You can do a lot with small motors. This sight has some excellent ideas http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/textonly2.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007 12:34:18 AM »

And some motorized rats that look they are feeding on a body.

Now that is really scary!

Has anyone got pics of their scary decorations to share? People over here in the UK aren't really into halloween so it's really awesome to see people putting loads of thought and effort into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...