A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
275 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make mango butter?  (Read 13057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Anmol
« on: August 31, 2007 10:33:33 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm from India & I'm new to making beauty products. I read all these wonderful recipes like body butters & want to try them out, but can't as the ingredients are not available in India. Having stuff shipped from other parts of the world would be too expensive.

So I want to know if mango butter can be made at home.

Other things that aren't available here- Shea butter, grape seed oil, emu oil, cocoa butter, jojoba oil Sad

Any help will be appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi I'm new here
Bellepourlavie
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007 10:43:14 AM »

Mango butter is made from the seed of the mango. Try grinding the seed into a find powder. The add it to a solid oil like coconut oil. This is just an idea. It may not work but its worth a try. You can always just add the powder to your products as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eternal Beauty...Naturally
MamaVSoap
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007 04:22:48 AM »

You can make something similar but you'd need mango seed oil (which I've never seen).

There's no online sources for delivery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anmol
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007 05:05:41 AM »

^ there are, but the delivery costs more that the item itself. So I can't buy.

But I like the idea about gringing the seed. After I add it to the oil I'll strain it.

Another way I just thought of is to cut the seed into pieces & soak it or boil it in some oil. I think I'll try both methods & see how things go.

But cutting or grinding the seed will be difficult- it's really hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi I'm new here
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007 01:13:41 PM »

I think making your own vegetable butters would be very labor intensive. Just pressing oil from seeds is a pretty intense process. Another alternative to ordering expensive butters from other countries is making new recipes using the oils that are available to you locally.

From what I understand there are many wonderful ingredients produced in India. Virgin Coconut Oil, Sesame Oil, Amla, and Brahmi Oil are only a fraction of what you may be able to find in your own country.

I would check and see what solid vegetable oils and butters are available in your local shops and markets. Once you find that out you could ask your folks on Craftster for help making recipes from them. You may turn out with some wonderful formulas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
Anmol
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007 04:36:38 AM »

^ Thanks for that piece of advice. Actually I have believed that myself- that it is good to try and use stuff that is locally produced, because it will not only be cheap but also of good quality.

But I absolutely ADORE mangoes. I love the smell  the taste  the colour. So I thought- mango butter? yummy Grin

Anyway, I will try to make this in mango season- May. But I won't be holding my breath. I realise that it will be really hard to make mango butter.

I do love stuff that we get in India, but I would love to try out stuff that you get in other countries also. May be some day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi I'm new here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...