A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,957
Currently Running With Scissors:
261 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: why does it curl  (Read 2032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

hobbit54
« on: December 08, 2004 09:19:21 PM »

im trying to make a scarf using the basic stockinete stich but it keeps on curling up. is there anyway to fix this or to stop it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I got static in my head, the reflected sound of everything, Tried to go to where it led, but it didn't lead to anything" - eliott smith
tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004 11:46:49 PM »

i think you should use double stockinette stitch, when you do so, it will never curl up and it will looking good both sides.. you know, basic stockinette stitch's wrong side is full of little smileyish stitchs and i think it is not ok for a scarf... here is the tutorial for it:

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8542.0

http://www.beppycat.com/double%20layer
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004 11:57:12 PM by tinybits » THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004 06:45:47 AM »

stocking/stockinette fabric has a natural tendancy to curl because the knit-side of a stitch uses a bit more yarn than the purl side.  The purl side pulls in horizontally and the knit side pulls in vertically. 

If you are dead-set on a totally stocking stitch scarf, then tinybits is right, double knitting is a good idea. Using this method, you can make a double-thickness scarf with two different colours, too, or work colour patterns into it fairly easily, once you've mastered the technique.

Logically, a double-knit scarf will take twice as much yarn as a single-layer scarf of the same size. It also will take close to twice as long to knit, since you have to work each row twice.

If you don't mind incorporating other stitches, you can incorporate a garter stitch border (knit every row for the first inch, knit the first and last inch-or-so of stitches every row). You can also use a pattern like seed stitch or ribbing - one that has an equal number of knit and purl stitches on both sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Monsters!
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Picture Frame Tray
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Dino Cups

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...