A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reversible baby bonnet tutorial  (Read 23065 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 29, 2007 09:05:31 AM »

hopefully this ends up making sense!

the bonnet i made first when i took the pics has a separate brim for  contrast when the brim isn't folded back. the sugar skull bonnet is simpler and the brim is part of the body of the bonnet, and only has contrasting fabric on the outside if you fold back the brim.

the instruction will be for the bonnet with the separate brim, because that's what i have pics for, and my camera went missing in the move to our new house!

i'll include measurements, cause some people like them, but if you measure the size you need on your baby it'll be easier. (assuming a baby is on hand, or it may be more difficult...)

you need 2 different fabrics for contrast/because it's reversible, and interfacing for a little stiffness. i used fusible, but you could use sew in, it wouldn't matter.

to make the rectangle for the body of the bonnet i held up a piece of fabric from under one ear, over her forehead, and under the other ear, where the front of the bonnet goes. i later decided for the sugar skulls bonnet that it should go from jawline to jawline. whichever you prefer!
 that plus seam allowance is the width from ear to ear, of the bonnet body. for the length i approximated how far back it needed to go by holding it up to amma's head again.

the rectangle measures about 13" wide and 6 " long.  (my daughter is 7 months old.)

cut one from both fabrics, and 1 from interfacing.

for the brim make it the same width as the body, and 1 and 1/2" deep. i cut it as a long skinny rectangle, folded it in half, and rounded the edges by cutting both together so they'd be symmetrical.

cut one from both fabrics, and 1 from interfacing.

the finished ties are 2" wide. one is reversible, and the other bonnet has one solid piece for both sides. cut 2 that are 2" wide and add seam allowance, or cut 2 that are 4" wide plus seam allowance, depending on if you want reversible ties. (not that you really reverse them, but you can tie the bow so the outer fabric contrasts with or matches the outside of the bonnet.) they have no interfacing.  

make the ties first, because they need to be finished to sew the bonnet together.

sew the tie sides together, with fabric right sides together. sew one edge shut, turn it right side out, and don't worry about closing the open end. it'll be sewn into the bonnet seam when you attach it.

the tie that holds the back is 1 and 1/4" wide. for contrasting sides, cut it 1 and 1/4 plus seam allowance from each fabric. cut it 2 and 1/2 inches wide plus seam allowance if only using one fabric. also no interfacing.
 sew the tie side seams, right sides of fabric together. sew one end shut. the open end allows you to turn it right side out. do this, then topstitch it closed after folding the raw edge in. (iron the fold down before sewing if it floats your boat.) if you want them to match perfectly, topstitch the other end that's already closed.

now you have this- (the rectangles are stacked and you can't tell, but there's 2 contrasting fabrics, and one interfacing)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/1267625260_ae2788d5be.jpg

for the sewing part, i took no pictures... and you may find a better way to construct it, i don't make reversible stuff very often. or never used to...

iron your interfacing onto your rectangle and brim piece. sew the rectangle for the body to the contrasting brim piece, right sides together. do this once with your inner and once with your outer layer.

place these 2 pieces you sewed together (the body of your bonnet) right sides together. place the 2 ties for under the chin inside the bonnet with the edge barely sticking into your seam allowance right next to the brim. if you didn't make a separate brim, place the ties behind the fold line for your brim (like on the sugar skull bonnet). pin if you need to.

now you'll sew the body together. in the back where the tie gathers the back, you won't sew all the way back. start stitching 1 and 1/2" away from the back edge of the fabric, to leave room where the ties will run through the fabric.

sew from 1 and 1/2" away from the back edge all the way around the bonnet, to one and 1/2" from the back edge on the other side.

(if sewing instructions are clear as mud, let me know and i'll take pictures...)

now take the 1 and 1/2" raw edges of the back side seams and hem them, serge it, stitch it down in some way so it's not a raw edge. separately. (don't sew them together like the seam, or where will your ties go?)as i make more i'll probably figure out the best way to do this...

turn your bonnet right side out.

iron down the back seam allowance and  stitch the 2 sides together to close up the bonnet,  so the raw edge is inside the bonnet. it'll look like top stitching, except there's no inner seam. the ironing may be easier before sewing the 2 sides of the bonnet together.

now your bonnet should be all sewed together, with a hole on each side of the back to thread the ties through. thread your ties through. attach a safety pin to push it through if needed, i got my finger in the hole...

then scrunch the tie toward the back top-stitched seam so you don't sew through it, and sew a parallel line across the bonnet to create  a channel for the tie, about an inch away from the back seam. (you could create the channel for the tie first and then thread it through, if you are afraid you'll sew through the tie) i found it faster to do it without making the channel 1st...i'm the type that won't stop to pin something unless it's slippery as ice...

gather the back with the tie and now you have a bonnet! iron the brim back if you want to, i did with the sugar skull bonnet because i like her face exposed more, and i know when she wore the brim forward i couldn't see her face a lot of the time....

there are probably better ways to construct it, i haven't done much reversible sewing... and suggestions are welcome! i also have a baby in my lap who doesn't want me to type this, so sorry if it's not clear enough. and most of my pics seemed irrelevant, should have taken them of the sewing. i think my camera died that day...

this is the bonnet from these instructions-
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/1266777525_f35940ea5b_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1002/1266775679_a16ba2cf55.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1212/1267279201_d493112458.jpg

this bonnet has the simpler brim thats built into the body, and the single fabric ties, so less sewing.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1051/1252492138_9c5c6f03d7.jpg

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 01:47:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

livvyloo
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007 10:20:13 AM »

Yay! This is way cute. Of course I am a visual person so I probably looked like Miss South Carolina while reading your tute Cheesy. Your daughter is so stinking cute too! She looks great in these bonnets.

Oh, and can I ask what your tattoo is? It is hard to make out in the pics.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007 10:21:13 AM by livvyloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007 10:39:18 AM »

Yay! This is way cute. Of course I am a visual person so I probably looked like Miss South Carolina while reading your tute Cheesy. Your daughter is so stinking cute too! She looks great in these bonnets.

Oh, and can I ask what your tattoo is? It is hard to make out in the pics.

i figured some kind of explanation may help, since i don't know when i'll find my camera and finish taking pics to make a decent tute...
 the tat on my forehead is the kanji for joy, it's my middle name. the ones on my hands and fingers are stick and pokes i did, some various dots and shapes, and my knuckles say "not 4 hire"... don't know which you're saying you can't make out, could be either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myprecious4

Love to sew for my baby girl!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007 10:44:35 AM »

That's great!  I love baby girls in bonnets.  I'll have to try soon.  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherriez
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007 02:55:24 PM »

happy dance.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherriez
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007 04:44:45 PM »

I actually like the second one better (sugar skulls).  Could you give directions for that one?  To me it seems like you'd just measure out to how much 'brim' you want, and sew together the two rectangles like in the tute you posted.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007 06:24:39 AM »

yep, the rectangle's just a little longer with a rounded edge on one side, and then constructed the same way. it helps if you know if you're going to fold the brim back or not, because if you are, you need to put the straps far enough back to leave a fold line for the brim, too far forward and you can't fold it back. but if you're not going to fold the brim back, it looks better to me if the straps are attached further forward in the brim a little.
 we finally got the internet on at our new house, but i have a bunch of work to do... then i should be able to do a proper tute next time  i make a bonnet, with pics, cause i found my camera!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherriez
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007 09:17:59 AM »

so glad you got ur internet.  Smiley

Thanks for the placement of the straps tip.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ammasmama

LuCkY Me, LuCkY MuD

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007 06:36:53 PM »

i'm still figuring out exactly what will fit amelia as i make them, so far i've made three, and they're getting a little longer and wider every time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kakariki
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007 05:13:17 PM »

They are so cute!  I've been looking for another bonnet for my wee one cause she's only got one and it's pretty old and stained.  Now to find some cool fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://radicalcrossstitch.com
Seriously Seditious Stitching
http://radicalrags.etsy.com
Check out the world's most radical craft podcast
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/craftcartel
Fabric of Resistance radical craft wiki
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/wiki
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy
What The World Needs Now...

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...