A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,896
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm finally going to do something! kitchen suggestions wanted!  (Read 1182 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2007 07:02:52 AM »

I've been putting this off for a long time, but i'm finally going to do something about my kitchen.

Here's the thing... my flat will be completely overhauled in a few years (meaning floors, kitchen, windows, etc), but i need to plan well and save up the money first.

In the meantime, i want to make some changes, to improve the looks and quality of life in my kitchen (and rest of the house, really).

The first project i wanted to tackle was to cover the cabinets.
here is the deal:

the cabinets are probably the original 1960s cabinets, and they have already been repainted twice. They are a horrid (IMO) pea green color, and they are streaked and faded, and chipped off parts showing the underlying layer shows in certain areas.

A while back, i discovered that i could use them as dry erase boards, and that was quite convenient, except, when heavy duty cleaning them, i realized that more paint was coming off, making the situation worse.

I've come to the conclusion that i want to cover the cabinets in dry erase white board contact paper, so i can use it, and eventually always go crazy with dry erase art or fabric+ starch and what not.

I chose dry erase white board cover, because the appliances (fridge, hood vent and oven/range) are white, as is the sink and sink base cabinet (it doesn't match the other cabinets).
The tiles behind them are taupe (although now they are painted white, but the paint is easily removable, at least it was in the bathroom...)
They go from the floor to the bottom of the cabinets, and part of a corner, so i'm not sure i could cover them with steel or what not.

I will add pics as soon as i can to get a better idea.

ANYHOW, all of this leaves me with the following problems:

• How to make the uneven surface of each cabinet door smooth so i can apply the contact paper?
  • Can i spackle or somehow cover and reinforce where the holes of the handles are so i can apply new ones (i want to change them from handles to knobs)?
  • IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE THESE MAGNETIC AS WELL AS DRY ERASE BOARDS? (edited to add)
  • does this sound good or even plausible or am i heading towards a disaster?

thanks for any suggestions

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007 02:59:21 AM by Graceful » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007 02:56:49 AM »

HERE ARE SOME PICS ...  you can see the scratches and the home made handles well in the first one, as well as the white appliances in the 2nd and 3rd pics (hood vent and range/oven) the color didn't show up well though, sorry
(they also made me realize that i have to CLEAN... oops  Cry  Undecided  Shocked  Sad )

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 07:14:43 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007 06:03:10 AM »

I don't know the answers to your questions, but what about using blackboard paint on them instead? You could still write on them and the uneven surface might not be so noticeable.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007 08:03:34 AM »

i thought about that too... is there such a thing as white blackboard paint? or other colors besides the standard black and green?

i am hesitant to paint them black because the kitchen is already a bit dark, and i'm not painting the kitchen another green (sorry, i'm tired of it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007 08:58:30 AM »

Hi Graceful -

Are your cabinet doors made of wood?  If so, you could spackle them and lightly sand to make them smoother.  If I were you, though, I wouldn't worry too much about making them completely smooth since you plan a major overhaul in the future.

To make them magnetic, use a magnetic paint (it's very cool stuff!).  It's a little pricy, but worth it, I think.  Then you can either paint over that with any other color you want, or put the contact paper over top - that way, your doors would be both magnetic and dry erase.

As for moving your hardware, and filling and smoothing out the holes, try this trick (again, only works if you have wooden doors):  find a piece of wood that will snugly fit in the holes (maybe a wooden skewer or something else like that).  Liberally coat the inside of the hole with wood glue, shove the skewer in, and leave to dry.  When it's dry, you can snip the skewer off close to the cabinet, then sand the rest of it off.  You could also use several toothpicks in the hole.  (This trick also works really well for "over screwed" holes - if your screws don't fit anymore in their holes, fill them like this, then the screw has new wood to grab onto.)  Then all you have to do is find new hardware, and install that.

Hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...