A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
291 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity (New Look) 6587  (Read 7553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
knotty_girl
« on: August 16, 2007 09:31:07 PM »

I made this a while back but I've only worn it once.  The pattern was very easy and I made it in 2 days (it was only the 2nd time I'd ever even followed a clothing pattern...yes, it was that easy).  I've since made another dress from this same pattern and have started on a third.  It's made out of some mildly itchy vintage fabric that belonged to my grandmother.  I like it but it needs something...fancier buttons maybe?   A belt? 

Front:

Back:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007 04:18:58 PM by knotty_girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007 09:36:27 PM »

IT's really cute like it is but I like the idea of a belt. Pockets could be cute too. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JBear
The Sewing Shinigami

Action packed, adventure-funess in every bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007 10:47:23 PM »

Cute dress! I agree, a belt would spice it up a bit. Or maybe a contrasting (darker or lighter) color sash?

What would be cute as well would be to wear a neckerchief or those silky neck scarves.  Wink But I just love the fabric you used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stay connected!

Blog | Etsy | Pinterest | Facebook | Twitter
luckyredcloud
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 02:06:30 AM »

its so adorable!  how about a cute trim along the hems of the skirt & sleeves?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pastiche
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007 09:28:11 AM »

i vote for a belt too!
that is really cute!
great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethy_boo
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007 09:29:37 AM »

yeah it does need some jazzing up but i have no new ideas! its a really nice dress! i agree with a belt or some trim around the sleeves!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007 09:30:29 AM by bethy_boo - Reason: i didn't see the title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.
  - Christopher Morley

wists
knotty_girl
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007 04:32:00 PM »

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with a dark brown sash for a belt.  And I went to Joanns today to look at new buttons, but didn't get any because I couldn't remember what size I needed. Tongue

Anyhoo, I think I'm either going to do dark brown wooden buttons or dark brown leather buttons.  I definitely want to keep the overall look vintagey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mimsy Borogrove
Sewing since forever

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007 10:31:52 AM »

Being "vintage" myself, it would probably keep that vintage look with a several different things adding interest--stuff that would have been on any store-bought dress from the period.

One, a belt, any solid color (not self-fabric), any width you like, from narrow up to about three inches. Nobody wore a sash in the era this dress is inspired by. Sashes looked homemade, and we all pretended our clothes were from stores. Silly us, huh?

Two, buttons to match. I can't tell the weight of the fabric, but a wooden or leather button may match but feel too "heavy" for it unless it's pretty thick. More true to the period might be a floral or pearlized plastic button picking up the fabric's or belt's color.

Three, trim. This era was a little trim-crazy. Middy braid (which isn't really braided in appearance) or something like it, a double band around the lower part of the sleeves and again at the hem, will cement it firmly in vintage times and go on in no time.

I think it looks pretty terrific as-is, of course, but it'll look like your grandma had this dress she only wore once, that happens to fit you perfectly, with just a few additions!

Mim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nice to be here!
knotty_girl
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007 10:28:33 PM »

Mimsy, I do believe I love you.  Your ideas are great!  Do you think brown ric-rac for trim would be overkill?  I have another dress I need help with...as soon as I get a pic I'll post it so you can give me some more good ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mimsy Borogrove
Sewing since forever

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007 05:54:39 AM »

I think ric-rac would be adorable, although it always makes me vaguely dizzy trying to stitch a ramrod-straight line through the curves.

I'm so flattered you like the ideas--glad to be of service, and happy to offer any ideas that I can on the new one when it's ready for posting. No rush, of course. I've had 7 yards of monk-costume cloth wadded in the living room for days now, that's how fast I work. (I know, it's going to go fast--if I could just get started!)

Mim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nice to be here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...