A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kids favors, heart-shaped crayons  (Read 101011 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , favors , tutorial , project_of_the_week , back_to_school  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sweets4ever
The Final Craftster Admin
Thank you for everything.

Join us on LettuceCraft.com!

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2009 07:27:05 AM »

This is perfect. I have a ton of crayons in my purse from restaurants. As you may or may not know. the crayons they give to kids to color with are only used once and then the have to throw them away for health reasons. Now I agree with the concept of not spreading germs. but the thought of all those crayons being wasted makes me sad. Now I know what to do with extra crayons.  Also if anyone wants to try this project maybe they could get discarded crayons from restaurants. I'm sure the melting would kill any germs.

Wow!  I didn't know that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our future home is Lettuce Craft!
Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Launching soon: http://lettucecraft.com/
Crafts Chats Swaps
sweets4ever

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2009 07:27:32 AM »

Hey! I didn't see that anyone else asked this. If they did, I'm sorry.
How can you tell when the crayons are done? Is it just when there's a consistant puddle with no gaps in it?
Thank you!

Yepper!  A nice, smooth puddle and they're done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Crafts Chats Swaps
tigrisgalaxy

"It's on the internet...no stopping it now."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2009 07:29:33 AM »

That is so so so awesome!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear You,
      If I stepped into your shoes for 1 day, would the grass really be greener on the other side? What would I see through your eyes for 1 day? Send entry to: dearyou4[email protected]. Sign with first name, city and state/country.
Me
Volcanogrrl
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2009 09:29:57 PM »

Oh these are so awesome.  I made my first batch tonight and they turned out SO cute!  We had a "wedding work party" and the helpers all wanted to eat the heart-crayons.  Smiley  GREAT tutorial, thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2009 12:16:44 AM »

Oh these are so awesome.  I made my first batch tonight and they turned out SO cute!  We had a "wedding work party" and the helpers all wanted to eat the heart-crayons.  Smiley  GREAT tutorial, thank you!!

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Crafts Chats Swaps
ariane.phillips
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2009 09:51:38 AM »

Thanks for posting this fun and easy tutorial!  Can't wait to try it tonight!  Of course you could always put in a wick and make a mini candle too - I remember melting crayons to make candles when I was a kid.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2009 09:57:03 AM »

Thanks for posting this fun and easy tutorial!  Can't wait to try it tonight!  Of course you could always put in a wick and make a mini candle too - I remember melting crayons to make candles when I was a kid.

WOW!!  Those would be pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just... Let.Us.Craft.

Crafts Chats Swaps
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2009 02:52:56 PM »

How could I have missed this the first time around?  These are awesome and I wish I had known about this when my neices and nephews were younger.

Here are some thoughts I had on them.  First, in case no one else mentioned this, several companies also make silicone molds in funky shapes for candymaking and ice cubes - like the funky leaf molds I used for melt and pour soaps before Christmas.  Ikea comes to mind - and they are cheap there.  Fred, the company that makes the ice shots mold is another.  They would work perfectly for this because the silicone will tolerate oven heat even if it is an ice cute mold.  Also, there are silicone cupcake liners too that are neat - I have flower shaped ones I bought from a specialty food place in the fall.  The nice thing is that they are all reusable and won't absorb or retain odours/flavours.

Secondly, these are so pretty, that I think they would make awesome ornaments too - poke a hole through the top, tie some ribbon to it, and stick it on a tree.  That is what I think I may do for Christmas when we do our potluck with co-workers and their families this winter.  Couple this with that program for turning pictures into colouring pages, and the younger kids could have a fun activity to occupy their time while the adults chat and mingle.  I think they would have a hoot colouring pics of their moms or dads.  I will absolutely have to store this one on my Christmas list.

Thirdly, anyone know about those layered friendship candles - as you melt them, there are charms/treasures inside that are revealed.  If you make thick enough crayons, or find thin enough charms, the same concept could be done with this I think - maybe nothing too detailed or the wax may stick in the crevices - but maybe small trinkets like pendents or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
smrfchic
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2009 06:05:23 PM »

The kids wanted to give something to the two toddlers next door, and I didn't want to go anywhere because it was raining. I saw this tutorial on Craftster and realized I had the same foil molds in the cabinet, and there are always broken crayons lurking around!
I taped the little tags on to the backs of each plastic-wrapped heart (ziploc baggies with the zipper part cut off). Their mom LOVED them (the little ones were sleeping off a nasty cold).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009 06:09:25 PM by smrfchic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2009 10:19:49 AM »

Ok, so I just discovered this thread this morning and I read all 18 pages in one sitting. Do you guys realize that you've covered a timespan of a year and a half, you been through several wedding and birthday parties, and yet not one of you has posted an action pictures of something that's been drawn with the awesome crayons!   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...