A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
176 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery . . . I hope. (Sundresses)  (Read 6583 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

emling
« on: August 15, 2007 11:12:08 AM »

This thread motivated me to dust off my sewing machine, dig into my closet, and start cutting. Here are some dresses were inspired by vegbee, cheytown, kimberlina, and the rest of you crafting geniuses.  Comments and suggestions are extremely welcome, especially for a rank amateur such as myself--I can use all the help I can get!

Once an old linen shirt with stains in embarrassing places! Now! A soon-to-be-stained sundress, cleverly accessorized with oversized bicycle helmet.  The sleeves were too short to use cheytown's clever ruffle sleeve, so I added a couple of totally non-matching straps.  Sorry about only showing this from the back--my girl is camera-shy. I think it needs something else--maybe some bias trim around the bottom? Thoughts?

This once was a rather lovely embroidered Mexican shirt, but it never did fit me.  I reconned it into an off-the shoulder sundress with matching capri pants made out of the sleeves. The neckline isn't entirely appropriate for a soon-to-be 2-year-old, but my hands were sort of tied if I wanted to use all of that gorgeous embroidery.

And finally, what has become my new favorite design, a slightly longer version of kimberlina's smock/jumper/wrap dress.  I deliberately made the straps longer than necessary, then hid them between the two layers of fabric at the neck, under the rationale that as she grows, I can pick open that seam and lengthen the straps.  I love the fact that this design is four-ways reversible--you can wear it front to back, back to front, and inside out as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wowxoxo
:) Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Marilyn Monroe

sewing = love

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007 11:19:23 AM »

They are amazing! and very well made!
My favorite is the second one, its not inappropriate for her, it makes her look like a princess!!
GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/teddybearcrossing
chamaecyparis
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007 11:56:19 AM »

The one you made from the embroidered shirt is adorable!  And so is your kid. Nice work all around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
perpleflwrchild
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007 12:11:23 PM »

So cute!  If you're worried about the off- the- shoulder neckline on the embroidered one (which is gorgeous!), why not add some straps that go over her shoulders?  Sort of as if she was wearing a tank top underneath?  Or even a halter strap could be cute...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafox
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007 12:22:40 PM »

Oh these are all so great!!!
I have an embroidered shirt i never wear... hmmmm
Really, these look so great, good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007 01:06:08 PM »

So charming!

And the green off-the-shoulder neck is perfectly appropriate for an 18th- or 19th century 2year old... So she's either very retro or a little fashion-forward.

If you'd like to keep it completely 2007, you could put a drawstring through the neck...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007 03:20:24 PM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007 01:11:52 PM »

very nice recons! Yes, your wee one can accessorize!  I ditto the comments on the embroidered dress, the neckline looks good, like a on-purpose style thingee (damn, why did I go to college?  Because its not helping me talk good!) 

I'm really enjoying the wrap dresses I'm seeing, and clever the way you can have it grow with her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

measure-once-cut-twice
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007 02:05:29 PM »

The off the shoulder dress reminds me of the style little girls wore when I was in the Civil War Reenactment. Many of the styles for children in this era included off the shoulder tops.

I think the dress is very classy. It is totally vintage. The dress is nearly perfect for a reproduction (maybe a little fuller skirt, but other than that... wonderful). Even the baby boys wore this style in the 1860s! Can you believe they put their boys in dresses? and their babies in corsets?! Shocked Shocked

These aren't very good examples of the style. But I just couldn't find a good picture online. Hopefully it will give you an idea, though.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Children/1855_children.jpg

http://www.patternsoftime.com/prodimages/patterns/ageless/1130-sm.gif

http://www.patternsoftime.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AG1604
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie B.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007 02:18:10 PM »

I LOVe the 2nd pic - very nice! I would like to see the capri pants.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasar31629
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007 02:51:16 PM »

They're all great, but I am in <3love<3 with the 2nd dress!  I might add spaghetti straps so it stays on nice.

Like this dress: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2890408?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=dresses:women:dress&cm_ite=us_angels_off_shoulder_ballerina_dress_(little_girls):19912&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=6FB6356A-804A-DC11-8E88-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA 

You'd asked for thoughts on the 1st dress as well, and I think that the lighter-weight look would be lost with trim around the bottom.  A flower out of the patterned strap fabric might look nice on the front of the dress...

Anyhow- all 3 outfits look darling- great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...