A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,820
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stamping help? Mail order/online source?  (Read 933 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: August 09, 2007 12:21:13 AM »

I have this great stamp I wanted to do in gold...then I found out I can't find a gold stamp pad anywhere on this island. Sad

So far I have googled w/o success.  I know I bought one a million years ago in Dallas.  I've been to our 1 craft store and I hit Walmart, and the one scrapbook store seems to have gone out of business.  Angry

I tried some gold embossing powder, but the details on the image were all lost.   I have some gold pigment powders but I haven't been able to get them to stick to the ink.   I tried to use the stamp with gold paint but it was too thick and again I lost the detail.

I tried to use some glue that was supposed to be good for embossing effects, but again, too thick and the detail was lost.

arghhhhhhhh!!   Does anyone know a mail order source for a gold stamp pad?  Or some technique I can use that I haven't thought of?

I was going to use photo shop to try to change the black lines to gold, but I'm not good enough with the program to pull it off. 
I'm completely frustrated and it would be so simple to fix if I could just get a stinking gold stamp pad. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
j-me
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007 09:53:28 PM »

Maybe try Joann.com? (if you don't have one nearby)

is this what you are looking for?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2825&PRODID=prd12034

Or Impress Rubber Stamps

http://www.impressrubberstamps.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Encore_Pad&Category_Code=I
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007 10:38:10 PM »

Yup, that will do it!

I also found some pigment powders and an adhesive stamp in my stuff that kind of works.  I'm trying to get an image on poly clay and so far none of the image transfer methods have worked.

I'm trying tee shirt transfer paper next but  I want to attempt a gold stamp on the clay also.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007 10:57:18 AM »

If I understand you, you want to make a gold line image on a piece of polymer clay?  Do you care if the image itself is flat on the clay or impressed into it?

You mentioned none of the "transfer" methods working... perhaps the t-shirt transfer will work, or there are other ways to do transfers that might.  If you want to try more transfer methods, let us know what you did already, and exactly what you have to transfer with.

Stamps which have very find lines and details aren't the best for certain ways to put images on polymer clay though, but you could still stamp on baked clay in the normal way using a gold pigment ink pad, or even use something like acrylic paints or gold alcohol links... or metallic powders in a clear acrylic carrier, etc.  Or you could press the stamp onto the clay after first pressing it onto some clear acrylic finish, then into the powder (tamping excess powder off well).

Other ways to get a gold image onto polymer clay would be to use the bare stamp to impress some polymer clay, then completely cover the clay with gold powder or perhaps something else gold.  Bake the clay, then sand off all the gold that's on the upper areas, leaving it only in the crevices of the image (the impressed stamp image). 

You can do the same thing after baking with gold acrylic paint, etc.... rub it all over the clay, then after a minute begin wiping it off of the upper areas (this is a type of "antiquing" method).
Or you can do something called "backfilling" which is similar, but instead of a liquid gold, you'd press gold clay into the impressed lines, bake, and sand off the top... but most gold clay alone isn't probably as bright as you'd like.

You might want to check out some of the pages at my site for more info on all those things as well... look in the alphabetical navigation bar for at least the pages called:

Stamping
Powders

HTH,

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007 11:17:10 AM »

Flat is fine.   I've tried using liquid poly clay to do the transfer, and I've tried the method where you burnish and bake, then peel off, which did nothing at all the first time, the second time part of it transfered and part of it didn't.  I've tried stamping directly onto the clay, tried stamping just the gold powder, tried clear embossing ink with embossing powder, but it distorted the image.  Tried black ink with gold powder over, but it didn't stick well.  Tried glue and powder.  Tried gold paint. 

As it turns out, my image stamp is very detailed and is just too small to show up well on the clay if I stamp it.  I am having some success with the tee shirt transfer paper, but I can't get my image in gold into my computer.  I stamped it on paper and tried to scan it but there is just enough reflection to distort the image and change the color when I scan it.  I am not well versed in photoshop so I have been unable to change my black lines to gold using the original image.

And I have been unable to get any of the free graphics programs to work...so I am either going to have to give up on gold, or see if I can stamp the gold image on the transfer paper maybe........that will be my next experiment before I give up completely.   I have some Perfect Pigments powder but I haven't been able to get the image cleanly, there is always a little powder muddying up the background once I'm done brushing away the excess.  I'm not sure if it will work on the transfer paper, but I'm gong to try.

The method where you print the transfer without reversing it, and then carefully cut the image out so you can use it face up is the one I'm thinking will work for me, then it won't matter that I stamped instead of running it through the printer.  (I hope)  Grin  So far I am able to get the other images I've printed to separate from the paper, so that's something.  I just want this one particular image in gold.  Angry

I just realized that this is sooooooooooooo simple.  All I need to do is get the gold stamp pad and bake my clay flat, then stamp it on in gold and glaze it after it's dry.   I don't have to mess with the transfer because I can use my clay as the background color.

why do I make things so difficult?  lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007 12:13:55 PM by bigeyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dessert Tray
October 9, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...