A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anybody good with graphics programs?  (Read 922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: August 08, 2007 02:15:30 PM »

I suck at this and several programs I've tried have either crashed my computer or just not done what the directions have said they would. Sad

Is there anyone here who would be willing to take a black and white line drawing and convert it to gold lines on a red background?

I have a couple of programs that are supposed to be able to do this, and I've followed tutorials, but they either don't work or they crash my PC.

help?

Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Galapoochi
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007 07:51:33 PM »

I'm no expert but...what kind of black and white drawing are you trying to convert and what programs did you use? Give me a little more information and maybe I can help you out...

Gail
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007 07:57:26 PM »

it's a dover clipart drawing, and I have photoshop but I have no skills. Sad  I've read some things on the internet that talk about using layers, but I can't follow them at all because they all assume that you know what they are talking about already and I am not a graphics arts major.
I am clueless about how to work with layers and I  can't figure out how to get an actual metallic gold color in place.

I also have the print shop, but it sucks and again, I have no skills.  Cheesy  I tried using a rubber stamp of the image with gold on paper, but it won't scan because of the light reflecting off the gold as the scanner tries to copy.   I just get black and reflection.

In another thread some people suggested a couple of programs I downloaded but they didn't work on my PC and I was never able to get any help getting them to work, so...I'm stuck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Galapoochi
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007 07:10:42 AM »

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you - had to find my son an apartment before school starts. Before I walk you through a bunch of steps, what are you planning to do with the final graphic? Do you need a specific red or will any red do? And I gather you are looking for a metallic gold effect, not just a gold color?

Gail
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007 09:01:44 PM »

yup.  I just want bright red background with a metallic gold line drawing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Galapoochi
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007 09:03:45 PM »

There are many ways to make a picture look metallic and some of them are EASY and don't require photoshop skills but I need to know a couple of things.

1. What kind of image is it? (jpg, gif, tiff, bmp?Huh?)
2. Once it is converted to red and gold, how are you going to use it? (Printing on paper? Transfer to another medium?Huh?)

If you're going to be putting it onto paper, you might be able to just remove the background color, change the rest of the image to a gold color, print it onto red paper on a laser printer and sprinkle the paper with clear embossing powder as soon as it's printed. That would give you sparkly gold on a red background...

Gail

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007 10:48:58 PM »

I have it in jpeg and tiff, it's a dover image black and white.  I'm going to use it on photo paper to make a transfer in one instance and in another I was going to try it as a lazertran image.

I'm totally lost on that last paragraph you typed.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Galapoochi
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 08:21:00 AM »

I'm sorry - didn't mean to confuse you. I used to run an onlne newsletter for 11 schools and people were always trying to remove backgrounds from their images, recolor and the like. I found an online image editor for them www.gifworks.com, which allows you to make modifications to GIF files.

In order to use the image you have, open it in MSPaint and go to File, Save As. Save it as a GIF file. Then go to gifworks and follow their instructions to upload your file to their site.

On the gifworks EDIT menu, you will find two things that might help you out. One is ADD TRANSPARENCY - you can make the entire background transparent. Then you can use the REPLACE COLOR command to change the color of the image to a nice gold.

There are other editing options - you can reduce the number of colors in your original image, you can add all kinds of artistic effects, but for your purposes I would try keeping it simple. When you're done you can go to the FILE menu and hit FILE SAVE - follow the instructions.

The easiest way to use your new transparent background image is to print it out onto a red paper with an inkjet printer. IMMEDIATELY as it comes out of the printer, sprinkle the image with clear embossing powder and LET DRY. Blow off any excess powder and use a dry clean paintbrush to remove any stray bits. Then use a heat gun to bring up the shine and you will have shiny metallic gold lettering on red paper. (If you don't have red paper, then you need to print out a red background first. Let that dry thoroughly and then print your transparent nackground image onto the red paper and add the embossing powder as before. The powder should stick only to freshly inked design and not to the red background)

For lazertran I'm not as sure because I have only read about the techniques but have never used the stuff. I would suggest doing the process in two steps. WIPE YOUR LAZERTRAN PAPER WITH A STATIC FREE CLOTH AND THEN INSERT IT INTO YOUR INKJET PRINTER. Print out the transparent background image and sprinkle the image with embossing powder as before. If you don't wipe the paper first, the embossing powder will apparently stick to everything. Just as before, I think you will have to transfer the red background separately.

I think you could probably use gold embossing powder instead of the clear but it might make for a less refined image.

Hope this is a little clearer - send me a private message if you need more help.

Gail
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007 02:00:43 AM »

thanks!  I'm going to read this when I'm a little more awake, but I think you've explained it pretty well.  If I run into trouble I'll PM you.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...