A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
125 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 94
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shop the Swap Round 5 - Discussion  (Read 85568 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
javede
« Reply #740 on: August 26, 2007 08:25:40 AM »

Great ideas!
I've been thinking about offering embroidered towels, but couldn't find suitable towels yet. Somehow I only find already embellished towels around here...(but I've got some linnen napkins to embroider!)
Anyway, I finished all swap and other projects today and will be able to start something for the next round tomorrow.
Unfortunately no time for much crafting this evening since I've got to finish a documentation for a project I did this semester. Deadline is the end of august and of course it isn't finished yet  Roll Eyes It doesn't help either that my project partner doesn't respond to my mails at the moment and isn't on msn messenger...arghh  Angry
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007 08:26:45 AM by javede » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my knitting blog:
http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/

personal swap friendly
ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #741 on: August 26, 2007 09:04:06 AM »

I need to think of things to make with my remnant pieces - but most of them are things like wool suitings in browns or neutrals.  Does anyone with dolls need business suits  Cheesy

Oh, and that 5 yards of bright red wool that didn't full correctly  Roll Eyes Unfortunately it is an orange-toned red, not the classic holiday red (the orange tone was perfect for my intended use, but the fulling went so awry that now I can't use it...)

The other day I was trying to think how to make reusable fabric envelopes for shipping out of cotton fabric scraps. The only sticking point is the closure - something that couldn't just be opened and the contents removed. It *could* be sewn shut, similar to a big rice bag, and the stitches ripped out upon arrival, but I didn't think that was ideal...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 28  instagram!
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2007 09:05:27 AM »

Would the U.S. Postmaster General approve?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2007 09:15:08 AM »

I received a sewn parcel from India once, it was wonderful to receive in the mail. It was bound and stitched white cotton. Smiley I might have a photo of it around here somewhere, it was just so impressive that it made it through the postal system unharmed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2007 09:31:36 AM »

Miss V, that sounds like a good idea!

Javede, I hope you hear from your partner soon; that has to be frustrating.

I think that you might be able to find the smaller, solid-color towels where the bath supplies are sold, rather than in the kitchen section of a store, maybe? They make hand towels for the washroom that are about the same size as tea towels for the kitchen; that is what I was thinking of.  Smiley

So, I was hunting around for play food ideas on the internet. I was hoping I'd run across some patterns for plastic canvas foods, for the amigurumi-crochet-challenged *ahem*ME*ahem* to try, and also post links to. No luck so far, but I did find a couple of great pictures of older books on the subject, that might get the creativity flowing. Some of this stuff is really cute. I like the cookies and cakes. Thought I'd share these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYTIME-BAKERY-Plastic-Canvas-Book_W0QQitemZ300144515654QQcategoryZ146383QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
http://craftbooksnmore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1080143
THis is kind of an older, kitschy craft. Did it ever catch on outside of the U.S.? I always wanted to make some play food this way, but never got around to it when patterns were more easily available. I'd like to find out what this craft is called in other languages, in case I can find online patterns elsewhere in the world.

It would be kinda neat to see this craft revived in a hip, indie way, maybe, if it can be done. Cheesy It's an easy, take-along craft, and play foods made this way would stand up well to lots of play, and hold their shape well. And the flatter foods would be very easy to mail anywhere, for not much cost.

I still see plastic canvas items at craft shows from time to time, but usually they are "granny" type stuff, if you know what I mean. It would be fun to make make some ironic plastic canvas, maybe?  Grin

I found this amigurumi bomb pop (PDF) while searching this morning. If you crochet, you may have have seen this by now, but it case you haven't, here goes:
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/diylife/files/diylife_amigurumi_bomb_pop.pdf

And I also stumbled into playing with food! This is sooooooo not edible, sooooooo not mailable(!), but soooo cool, and if I buy too many tomatoes at the farmer's market this week, I might sacrifice one to this project. I have boys; they will dig this! The video at the bottom is pretty neat!
http://www.diylife.com/2007/08/14/attack-of-the-glowing-tomatoes/

HeeHee!

Phizzychick, the sewn parcel sounds really cool. I don't think I could send one from America, though. I think it is against our postal regulations. I'll ask at the post office next time I'm there.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aeronberry

mmm...fishy kisses....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2007 09:32:12 AM »

I received a sewn parcel from India once, it was wonderful to receive in the mail. It was bound and stitched white cotton. Smiley I might have a photo of it around here somewhere, it was just so impressive that it made it through the postal system unharmed!

I've also gotten a parcel like that from India - it was beautiful.  I should've taken a picture, but I was so excited to see what was inside, so I didn't get a chance  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edafedd - amigurumi patterns!
norea - jewelry, handbags, etc!
shop the swap!
Phizzychick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: August 26, 2007 09:38:12 AM »

Here it is, I knew I had a picture somewhere, it was too amazing not to!

Close up of the end and the 'sealed' corners...

Incredible huh?

The fabric contents were wrapped in newspaper (put to good use in artwork!) and then wrapped in the fabric and sewn and 'sealed' shut.

This is probably too creative for most postal systems but I'd love to see some creative packaging ideas for the swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

« Reply #747 on: August 26, 2007 09:48:35 AM »

I've found the usps package regulations, and it says that cloth bags are acceptable for easy or average load up to 10 lb, as long as the seams are as strong as the cloth. I was thinking of putting interfacing or  padding for strength/cushioning...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 28  instagram!
LaughingLark
« Reply #748 on: August 26, 2007 09:53:50 AM »

Wow! That envelope is cool!

Ptarmic wumpus, are you still on the lookout for ideas for fulled sweaters? I ran across this a few minutes ago. She kind of eyeballed her own pattern, and explains how she did it in her Flikr, but I also wonder if a pattern for kids/toddler shoes would work for this. I would worry about someone slipping in these, though,  so maybe some puff paint (at last a use for it!) squiggles or dots on the soles, for traction?

Felted wool slippers:
http://www.thriftcraft.com/archives/24

On preview:
Thanks for checking about the postal regs! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javede
« Reply #749 on: August 26, 2007 10:13:33 AM »

Ok, I just decided I won't wait on my partner anymore and just finished the docu as much as I could. I will leave the rest to him   Cool

Hmm, those slippers are a great idea! I recently got a bunch of wool looking/feeling fabric from my grandaunt that I wanted to try to full. I will have to do test swatches first since I'm not a 100% sure it's all wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my knitting blog:
http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/

personal swap friendly
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 94 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...