A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
230 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: handmade gifts for teenage and middle school boys  (Read 2807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

kblackwellpix
« on: July 31, 2007 09:11:08 PM »

ok. so i am a sewer. my hub will be deployed for christmas and i am making all of my families christmas gifs this year (to cut down on money and keeping myself sane)  i got the girls covered (who can resist a new bag) but i am totally stumped on what i could possible make for teenage boys... 
i thought about a carrier for a handheld game system for one of them but i dont know them well enough to know what they like...
if anyone can possibly help me to enter the mind of a teenage boy and what he might like (other than a girlfriend) any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks to anyone who can help me out in anyway.

Katie
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007 09:11:32 PM by kblackwellpix » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007 09:35:07 PM »

if you can crochet in the SnB crochet book there is a beanie that all the guys i know love.......or if you dont crochet maybe you can sew them a cool wallet or somethin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007 12:39:03 AM »

Keychain?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007 04:58:43 PM »

Bumping because I'm in the same boat, sort of.

I put up a sign in the neighborhood at the beginning of summer looking for help to put new grass in my yard. I wound up hiring this great kid from down the street for one project after another all summer. He's 15, a straight A student at the magnet high school near us, going to be a sophomore, reads, plays video games, writes & performs silly videos with a group of his friends.

We spent a lot of time talking about college, music (I may be old but I really like to keep up with music trends), my life as an artist, working for other people, and books. His parents named him Dylan after Bob Dylan (which he actually appreciates). I met his parents at a party last year and like them quite a bit too.

I was thinking of a "thanks for all your help this summer gift", maybe a journal? Yes, I did pay him cash for his hours, but not a ton.

I dodn't want to look like Mrs. Robinson...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kblackwellpix
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007 06:02:24 PM »

thanks ladies for the input.. i kinda like the idea of an altered book but i dont know.. i think it may be yet a little too girl.  i was thinking about a handheld game system carrier or an ipod carrier if they dont already have them or who knows.
we will see
katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007 07:15:58 PM »

thanks ladies for the input.. i kinda like the idea of an altered book but i dont know.. i think it may be yet a little too girl.  i was thinking about a handheld game system carrier or an ipod carrier if they dont already have them or who knows.
we will see
katie
As for not knowing what they like, I guarantee every teenage guy ever will like old-skool Nintendo. And most older guys too. Mario, for instance, is fail-proof. You could probably get away with Pokemon too - either they're nerdy enough to still like it (seriously, 19yo boyfriend newly obsessed with Pokemon Pearl, it's not an insult), or they're hip enough to say it's some kind of referential uber-cool statement (see also: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Find fabrics to make DS/Gameboy/iPod/whatever carriers with, or check out the myriad other Nintendo crafts here (perler beads, stencil tshirts, I'm sure there's plenty!)

You could also make them little stuffie girlfriends, but that teeters precariously on "creepy" and "awkward"  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007 06:43:47 AM »

Last Christmas my grandson and I made marshmallow shooters for all the guys in the family (young and old).  We included a ziplock bag with mini marshmallows with each one.  They were a huge hit.  (We did learn that marshmallows in ziplocks don't stay soft forever and hard ones don't work.)  The ones we packed up a week before opening were fine - but a few weeks later, not so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
jessvict
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007 07:05:57 AM »

you could make leather (or vinyl ) braclets, or hemp necklaces I have teenagers and they love them Heres an example i made for a swap, they are girly but can be made to suit anyone:

dont mind the necklace i dont have a pic of just the bracelets
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezra
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007 07:43:18 AM »

I love the big circle-y charm on the necklace. Mind me asking where you found it?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessvict
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007 08:09:36 AM »

We have a closeout store in my area called gabrielle brothers and they were having a sidewalk sale with tons of crates FULL of broken or mismatched jewelry. Anything you could fit in one of their bags for 5$. Needless to say i went berserk, and it was in what i got.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: The Un-Meatball
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...