A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Survival kit for my little bro who is about to start uni??  (Read 1396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Bou
« on: July 29, 2007 01:06:46 PM »

I really want to make a survival kit for my brother who is about to start university, i have absolutely no idea what to put in it though - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,  a mixtue of crafts and bought things would be great.

he is going to be studying countryside management, if that makes any difference?

thank you x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iameannis

Mais, je m'appelle pas Ferdinand!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007 08:26:39 PM »

This is a really good idea. Hmm? I don't have any great suggestions for things to put in it (homemade snacks or any sort of junk food are always appreciated). But, I would definitely suggest sending it a week AFTER he starts school. I know that I totally appreciated the little care package my parents sent me a week after I started school.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bou
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007 06:23:34 AM »

I would definitely suggest sending it a week AFTER he starts school. I know that I totally appreciated the little care package my parents sent me a week after I started school.

Thanks for the tip, i bet he'd appreciate it much more when he's feeling a little homesick, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weemac
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007 03:01:13 PM »

cheap foodstuffs like those cup a soup things and pasta and noodles-your basic student adapted diet

cooling or ice pack-for the hangovers

coffee and chocolate-late night studying aids

game or something for student need an excuse not to study

pencils and notebooks- as silly and childish as possible, you can get away with liking anything from barbie to tellytubbies and "i'm a student" has got you covered

hope it helps

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dizzylizzy

dreamers have become an endangered species

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007 03:07:22 PM »

When my brother started college, I knew he was going to be living in the dorms so I made him a little "sick kit".

I put a thermometer, some nyquil/dayquil-or pretty much any heavy duty cold/flu medicine I could find, coughdrops, shower soothers, aspirins, and vitamins in it to help when he inevitably got sick. He used everything all up within the first two months.  Shocked

I would also suggest some things to promote better hygiene, that way at least there is a better chance of warding off germs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LSTinVA
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 03:25:30 PM »

Some other ideas:

A small sewing kit

Basic toolbox with items like hammer, screwdriver, mini screwdirver set, nails, postergum, duct tape, etc.

Band Aids, antiseptic, lotion (so many guys never have any but need it!!), foot powder, etc.

Tweezers and nail clippers, extra razors

A nice basic bowl/plate/mug/glass set and silverware -- two sets

Stamps, letter paper, envelopes

Film (if he has a film camera, or otherwise rechargable batteries and extra memory sticks for digital cameras)

Flashlight -- especially the ones that don't need batteries

Boxed tissues, paper towels, paper plates

A nice towel set, robe, shoes for the shower

Laundry detergent, a nice laundry bag or basket

Nice clothes hangers

Have fun!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007 03:26:23 PM by LSTinVA » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007 10:13:04 PM »

hey what about you can make him a laundry bag or something like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sinAcosB
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007 07:36:45 AM »

A friend of mine was having a birthday yesterday and is leaving for school in a few weeks.  I knew she needed a bed-side sort of end table thing for her dorm room so I went out and got one for fairly cheap at an outlet store.  I painted it in the colors of her room and in a design I knew she would like and filled the drawers and shelves with things she would need for school...mostly school supplies and such.  Now she has a bunch of things that will come in handy at school and a unique piece of furniture that she can use in her room or later when she eventually moves out of her parents' house for good.

What I made was pretty girly, but I'm sure you could make something similar to suit your brother in more manly colors or designs.  Maybe inside you could put boxes of his favorite homemade snacks?...since most guys like food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007 04:38:29 PM »

Food is always good. The distinct advantage of being his sister is it is very endearing to other girls to know he is close with someone in his family : ) .

I really like the mini- medicine cabinet idea, my little brother & I went to the same university & I got more than one late night call to please-get-me-something-I-feel-horrid. He just never thought to pick up Pepto-Bismol or asprin when he was at the store because he felt fine right then, right?

Oh yeah, cash is always good, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TravelBel
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007 11:51:37 AM »

Quarters for the vending machines and/or laundry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...