A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Cloth Pads Tutorial  (Read 346764 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

suchagoodexcuse
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2005 01:11:56 PM »

How many of these do you use for a cycle?  I'm looking into alt. menstrual products and am just wondering how many I would need to make approximately.

Thanks,

-Kaley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kaley

love me on the sly.
Lindsayanne
« Reply #211 on: March 25, 2005 10:59:54 PM »

How many of these do you use for a cycle? 

I think it depends on your flow- and if you make pads that have liners that fit inside them or liners that go on top of the pad. Right now my pads are all the kind that have inserts inside so every time a liner needs changed the whole thing gets changed. Next batch I make will be like luna pads- where the liner sits on top and is help in place by the little straps like this: (I wonder if you could make the straps with terrycloth?)

On a heavy flow day I can go through three in a day. I only have three, so obviously this is preventing a problem and I've been getting a lot of laundry done the past few days! Smiley

Seems like I only get motivated to make them when I am actually on my period  Grin I just bought some from a girl on eBay (3 for $10!) that I'll probably get next week. All mine are mis-matched weird colors so it will be nice to have some cute ones.

I really like the feeling of worn terry-cloth (old towels) as the top layer. It doesn't do a great job of "wicking it in" but it's soft and really, really absorbant (something the fleece I've used really isn't) I tried making a pad with sweatshirt fleece (fleecy side up) and it didn't work very well- just for reference. Smiley

Oh, and I live alone but I don't bother soaking. I just rinse them well in cold water, wring out, and hang them on the side of my dirty laundry basket. The fleece doesn't really hold water, so if your pads are mostly fleece, rinsing and wringing them out will get them dry enough to just toss in your dirty laundry pile.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011 11:52:03 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please do not hotlink images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MirthFairy
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2005 07:11:30 PM »

This thread inspired me to make my own cloth pads! I used a mix of a couple of designs including the pad on top thing that Luna Pads does, which I love. After a few tests, I decided that for sleeping, I NEED to make longer ones... too bad a cut a whole bunch of the shorter ones...

Anyways, for the closure I used double sided snaps http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82287&PRODID=47585. I like the decorative pearl part Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2005 08:20:12 PM »

I just made a big batch of these over the weekend.

I ran out of snaps so I did try velcro on the flaps- and it isn't bothering me one bit. I used really really narrow strips of hook and loop though- like maybe 1/3 inch.

Also, I found the best way to get a well fitting cloth pad is to make the pattern using your favorite disposable pad as a pattern, and adding wings if needed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2005 09:15:54 PM »

Lindsayanne i love its colors! it is so cheerful!

did you make towelling part changeable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsayanne
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2005 09:31:14 PM »

I know! I was tired of wearing sad old-man-pajama-looking cloth pads! They just seem like they should be... happy!

I didn't make them interchangable with linings. I figured I'd just make a bunch of varying thicknessness and then I'd have enough to change the whole pad every time I needed to change.

BUT the backs of them are fleece, which doesn't fray, so if I decided before making them if  want to use liners all I have to do is cut a slit in the back of them.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2005 11:41:01 AM »

How difficult would it be to make period panties with a removeable pad inset layer? I think I will use a pair of my own panties as a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2005 11:00:37 AM »

Hmmmm, I wouldnt think that it would be too bad as long as you cut that top layer of crotch out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2005 11:25:15 AM »

I'm thinking of making panties, like normal, and then putting snaps around to accomodate a cloth pad. Then you could just unsnap the pad, snap a new one on, and wash out the old one. I'm probably over-complicating, but I have a problem with making ALL my panties period panties, if you know what I mean, and this may help me get it under control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
oohhowpretty

You gotta love Regina

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2005 11:23:44 AM »

.. Unlike plastic it's better for Miss Kitty.

haha you joker

anyhow are they good if your like really heavy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'maybe you should cut your own hair coz that would be so funny'
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...