A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
113 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Union Jack Mohawk Hat - mildly disastrous  (Read 12925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
HellOfMyOwn
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007 09:58:48 PM »

I have this book and have been studying the picture.. Unfortunatly it seems like the one in the book is only very lightly felted as you can still really see the stitch defination..

What yarn did you use??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Penguinhorde
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007 06:35:29 AM »

The book would be so much better if it included swatch measurements after felting. This is exactly why I'm reluctant to knit this hat, even though I needs it (but with a Saltire instead). My full rant is in the reviews section.

So much for 'Punk' knitting - exact yarn only - no substitutes if you want a good first time result.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

damn your eyes

I think, therefore I am dangerous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007 07:39:18 AM »

Is your only fit problem that it doesn't come down on your forehead far enough?  Because I have this book and noticed in some of the pictures the hat doesn't come very far down on some of the models' heads... especially the pink mohawk hat on page 10.

You raise a good point. Maybe the cut of this hat just doesn't work for me. Widening the overall hat by adding a strip down the center might make it deep enough that a shallow forehead is not such a big deal. There's still hope!

I wonder why the hat on the cover doesn't look felted at all? 
I have this book and have been studying the picture.. Unfortunatly it seems like the one in the book is only very lightly felted as you can still really see the stitch defination..

What yarn did you use??

Being a Canadian broad, my yarn options were limited. I substituted their Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky (85% wool, 15% mohair) for Lily Chin Tribeca (25% mohair, 43% wool, 17% viscose, 15% polyester). I guess I had thought that the presence of synthetic material would prevent it from felting as much as their version. Plus, it was on sale  Tongue

So much for 'Punk' knitting - exact yarn only - no substitutes if you want a good first time result.  Undecided

It did get me spitting and cursing, which is kinda punk rock!

Thanks everyone, for kind words. I'm actually not feeling so sorry for myself anymore. Shoulda felted the swatch, shoulda hand-felted, shoulda woulda coulda. It's still fun to look at, and it may yet be saved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I only post compliments that I really and truly mean.

Blog: http://nightofthelivingdeadgirl.blogspot.com
Shop: http://www.undeadclothing.ca
miserylovesme
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007 11:05:51 AM »

Whoa! I'm sorry that you didn't get the results you were looking for, but man you did an awesome job!  Smiley

Make sure you post your new one!! I need to try this someday. Maybe. Probably not.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annamhudson
Love, Laugh, Live, Craft!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007 01:32:36 PM »

That is too cute, Too bad it is too small. It doesn't seem that small. I guess we all have different sized heads. i totally love it though!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cereza Bomba
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007 02:07:54 PM »

'Tis all good still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cereza Bomba = CHERRY BOMB!
damn your eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007 02:12:12 PM »

To address the size issue more fully;

Here is me. Nice to meetcha. Petite girl, average-sized head, pretty thick hair.

Here is the hat jammed onto my head

Earflaps are misshapen... pointy, somehow. I guess I did that when I was desperately trying to stretch it around my mannequin head

If I could have stretched it just a few more inches deep, it'd have been ok. Alas, perfectionist that I am, I must redo. grrrr

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cereza Bomba
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007 02:15:13 PM »

It looks cooler in your mouth. Maybe you could turn it into a muffler.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cereza Bomba = CHERRY BOMB!
alexisnice
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007 04:03:24 PM »

I was REALLY annoyed with that books attitude towards things like swatching and felting. You can't just "carelessly toss" things in a washer and expect them to come out right...even if you used the same yarn, every washing machine is different. The type of cycle matters.  The temperature matters. You should always swatch...and that book (which sort of poo-poo's swatching as old lady fussiness and not "punk rawk" enough) is irresponsible to not push for it. I'm guessing you'll be one of a great many disappointed knitters who destroy their hats...the hats in the book are barely felted at all, just sort of fluffed up a little. For most people, a run through the washing machine will do a lot more.

Still, you know, it's a cute little...um....baby helmet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
damn your eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007 04:56:52 PM »

Thanks for the sympathies and compliments everyone! I've redone it, and it's perfect; https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=186354.0

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...