A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
272 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Functional Jacket Questions  (Read 953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Seika
« on: July 07, 2007 11:54:30 AM »

I really love the motojackets that popped up awhile ago around here, but I can never bring myself to make something unless know it's going to be functional.  So, I wanted to know...

...if I was going to use said jacket in the winter, what kind of fabrics would I use?  Linings?  Any other ideas/ suggestions?

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me!

Thanks,
                              Manda  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007 01:18:23 PM »

I guess it depends on how cold it gets where you are.

Multiple layers of thinner fabrics are always warmer than one thick layer.
Wool fabric is really warm, but can get nasty if it gets wet, not too good for snow.

I would suggest making a few inside layers, then an outside one of something water-resistant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Seika
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007 05:40:37 PM »

Thanks!  It gets fairly cold (I think it dropped to -35 one morning this year, which I had the pleasure of being outside in) and snowy.  Do you think It would work if some of the inside layers were wool, and the shell was water resistant?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007 07:17:10 PM »

Sounds like a great idea to me!  Wink
Though you might want to make the lining layer (the one that touches your skin) out of something soft, wool might be sort of scratchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Seika
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007 07:35:50 PM »

I was thinking something along the lines of the cute snuggle fleece or flannels that my fabric store always has specials on
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 11:31:23 AM »

Hey!  I was totally trying to figure this one out a year or two ago.  I had spoken with my professor (fashion major, here) and she gave me some pointers.

-There is this fabric that is really good for lining.  It's smooth one one side, like linings are, but the other side is flannel backed.  Apparently, using this stuff instead of normal lining fabric is a lot of help already!  JoAnns sells something that I believe would work really well; I believe that it is in the section where the kids' fabrics are. 

-She also suggested using several layers of flannel as the interlinings.  Remember all that science stuff; air pockets in your coat= heat retention.  Another option could be quilt batting...  Perhaps you could do a mix of those two?  Like, if you used flannel in the sleeves so it would be less bulky there...

-If you aren't down with the whole idea of elastic or drawstrings everywhere that you can see, you could have it so that there is elastic or drawstrings just in the lining.  You might want these in areas like the waist or armholes in order to prevent a chilly breeze from letting itself in.

-Another random thought would be that it could be nice to face the garment with fake fur.  It would help insulate in areas that would be prone to breezes, and depending on how you would wear it, having the lapels flapped open with the fur sticking out could be really fun!  But...  it maybe a bit pain the butt to clean, and with the snow and all....

-As for the outer layer, you wanted something that was water resistant.  I have a wool coat, and I live where there is a lot of rain and snow.  It isn't a problem at all.  The thing with wool is that the fibers are most weak when they are wet, more so than most any other fibers.  With that in mind, if you want your jacket to be more fitted, places like your elbows may wear down fast.  If you want to use wool (That would probably take away the need to all the interlinings) you might want to consider replacing certain areas of the coat, like adding elbow patches. 

Nylon is usually waterproof.  There is that fabric that you can buy at JoAnns that is really good; it is use to make gym bags.  That could be really fun and look cool, as well.  It is also abrasion resistant.

Or perhaps a canvas type material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seika
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 01:01:56 PM »

o.o you are amazing. thank you sooo much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...