A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Everything Harry Potter Swap (SIGN UPS CLOSED; MAIL BY 24th August)  (Read 104197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PaperBag
« Reply #760 on: August 27, 2007 01:38:44 AM »

Yay!!!! Spread the LOVE! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #761 on: August 27, 2007 05:53:12 AM »

Eee so excited.

Also something else to declare! After 10 years of nagging at my sister to read the books, she actually is now! I hadn't spoken to her for months and months after giving her copies of the first 4 books and just saying 'read these, Roo, you need it in your life' and shes nearly finished 4! Shes never read books in her life!

Yay for Harry converting goodness! Cheesy

Same with my hubby! He's never been much of a reader (and always teased me for reading Harry Potter), but he's now through the first 4, and is anxious to start 5, but we don't have it  Undecided (although I've read them, we're missing 5 & 6 for some reason, but now we're going to go out and buy them)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #762 on: August 27, 2007 05:59:22 AM »

haha one of my friends actually tried reading harry to me once. i responded by saying "shut up, that's so boring!"

Cheesy haha and now i love it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007 06:00:17 AM by mixymo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
PaperBag
« Reply #763 on: August 27, 2007 06:05:43 AM »

haha one of my friends actually tried reading harry to me once. i responded by saying "shut up, that's so boring!"

Cheesy haha and now i love it!

hahaha my story is somewhat similar..

Friend #1: I'm reading Harry Potter! You should too! It's actually really good! I've read the first 4 books already in just 2 weeks!
ME: You're such a dork. I tried reading it before and it was totally dorky and boring. You'll never get me to read that!
Friend #2: Let's go see a movie!
ME: Okay! What do you want to go see?
Friend #2: How about Harry Potter? The 4th movie is out. I want to see it again. I promise that you'll love it!
ME: Right, or we could just go stick pencils in our eyes.

She ended up dragging me to see it (totally against my will, I assure you) but I came out on cloud 9, totally in love with this new world and all the great characters. I read all the books so fast and watched all the movies. And, as they say, the rest is history Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirensrising
« Reply #764 on: August 27, 2007 09:19:46 AM »

I started reading it on the recommendation of my friend (I think I was able to read the first two or three books straight away so it must have been around the time they were already released). All I remember is him telling me about the letters coming to find Harry even on the little light-house island peninsula or whatever (from Philosopher's Stone), and in my head imagining, instead of letters-as-in-post, a GIANT floating alphabet letter sort of nudging a stormy lighthouse.

...Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
idrinktea
« Reply #765 on: August 27, 2007 09:25:33 AM »

I actually started off with Chamber of Secrets after a classmate brought it in. I think we were doing oral book reviews to the whole class or something (we were in class 7) but for some reason I always think of it as show and tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #766 on: August 27, 2007 09:34:49 AM »

Oh, has anyone dealt with the banning of Harry Potter? The first time I tried reading the books was when I was a teacher at a child care center. It was when the 5th book came out. Anyways, one of the kids there was reading the book when she'd get there after school. Several parents complained that the center was promoting witchcraft and the devil's work (or something along those lines) so HP was immediately banned from the center. I couldn't even read it during nap time.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irasema

I'm creative - you can't expect me to be neat too!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #767 on: August 27, 2007 09:58:49 AM »

i dont remember when i started reading it... i know it was before the first movie came out. maybe i had just finished LOTR and wanted more majical stuff. i actually "borrowed" a friends copy of the first one and then went from there.
My little sister loves the movies but she kept asking me a couple of the details and i told her to read the books. Finally after 5 movies dad had to go buy her the set bc i could not part with mine! it took her a month to read all 7!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST | BLOG | pintrest
dont mind me.... i'm rather random
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2007 12:00:22 PM »

I love all the when I started reading HP stories.  My girlfriend told me about them in 1999 or 2000.  She loaned me the first one and I was hooked.  I absolutely loved the first movie and my bf has been buying me the movies since!  I cannot believe that my friend told me about them, because I am the one who is usually passing out books for them to read! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebakersgirl
« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2007 06:39:48 PM »

My mom bought the first book but decided it wasn't for her. I begged her to give it to me (I was in...first? second grade?). I read part and then lost it. My third grade teacher was OBSESSED with HP, so basically everyone in the class ended up reading them. The first three were out then; I remember my mom brought my PoA during lunch one day. I got the fourth for christmas right after it came out (we reserved it at two libraries and my mom bought it--we had three copies that Christmas. My sister ended up reading all of them, so I guess she can thank me for her own Harry Potter-ness). I got the fifth the day it came out, but lost interest between the fifth and sixth ones. I bought the sixth the day it came out, only because it was there, and immediately got hooked again. I REALLY got into after that, went to the release parties for the fifth movie and the seventh book, and that's how I got where I am today!

((wow, super long post. sorry!))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh sweet Jesus! A boob! She's making a BOOB!" -InkFaery
The Hunger Games Swap: crafting!
http://emilymayhem.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...