A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,849
Currently Running With Scissors:
310 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding regrets...  (Read 3965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ohsaysaysay
« on: July 04, 2007 05:51:30 PM »

hello,

I am busy planning all sorts of crafty things to do for my wedding next June.  I was just wondering what kinds of things people regret not spending time to do or spending too much time to do, and what they don't regret spending time to do? Some things to me seem..well..unnecessary...like decorations...and I'm just not sure if some things are worth spending months slaving over..

Do you have any regrets at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007 09:54:20 PM »

My wedding will be in September, and I've already found that some of the garlands I bought last fall are not really apealing to me anymore... And my concept of what the decoration will be has changed drastically.  Luckily, I got the garlands on massive clearance. :-)

Some things I'd initially planned on eventually ended up seeming like unnecessary expenses, so we've opted out: skirting for the tables that costs either 20.00 per skirt or 90 total for plastic skirting we buy (that gets used once, destroyed and thrown away).  I also regret not waiting for prom clearance to buy my dress.  Depending on what you want, you might be able to find a GREAT deal at a dept. store instead of the bridal shops.

I guess I won't know until after the event, but I've made a TON of wedding things myself and the savings has been significant.  I do have some insecurities about what I've made that even though my fiance and I like them, maybe everyone else will think it's weird.  Sometimes people get freaked out when you go outside the norm - florist-made arrangements, the usual explosion of white silk roses adorning every surface that can be hot-glued.  I don't think I'll regret it though -- it's been so much fun!  As long as you're having fun and not pushing yourself too hard, I think it's worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007 02:03:36 AM »

I agree with buying things too early.  I keep changing my mind.  I would leave yourself open, pick things you like but be ok with changing it.  Don't start buying materials until you really have to.  Also, before buying paper for invitations (if you're making your own), plan very carefully how you're going to put them together, how you'll print, etc.  Mine ended up costing twice what I wanted because I could not print on small cards and had to order lots of extra supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
thekster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007 03:21:15 AM »

I agree with the invitations thing. I'm not married yet, but I already sorta regret buying the paper way beforehand. Luckily, I haven't opened them yet and can probably manage to find the receipt somewhere to return them, but definately plan out exactly how you want your invites before you buy any supplies. Should be a given, but when you've got a dummy like me... well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007 09:58:00 AM »

I don't have any regrets about crafty things. I found that I just approached everything with an attitude of "is it worth it?" and if I said no, then that was it. Things like do I really care about tying ribbons on bubbles? Nope, didn't do it.

My only real regret is not setting boundaries with relatives at the very beginning of the process. There was a lot of stress that could have been avoided had lines been drawn really early on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
summerlyn

Miracles happen, just ask the angels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007 02:08:31 AM »

i would have to say my regret would be doing too much myself, i did everything, decorated the hall, set up, made all the entrees, the cake, everything except the main meal, i did. and i really didnt enjoy my day because of it, i was so busy fussing about everything that i just didnt get time to enjoy the day.
I would have to agree with the bon as well draw your lines with your relatives early so you dont have a sh*t storm later on (like i did).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007 02:25:36 AM »

I completely agree with summerlyn.  I wish I hadn't gone all crafty-goddess crazy and done everything myself.  At the very least, I should have spread the insanity around to friends and family and delegated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
hisbrat
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007 06:18:59 AM »

I'm the opposite. I got married two years ago, and the one thing I wanted most was to have these beautiful bead bouquets instead of flowers... http://www.geocities.com/chris_breecher/beadbouquets.html

I got overwhelmed though, and ended up renting flowers from the wedding chapel... how classy and romantic huh? I wish I would have been a bit craftier or better at delegating, so I could have had my perfect "non-flowers".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007 08:39:53 AM »

Oh! Find someone that on the day of the event you can trust to handle anything that comes up. One of my favorite people in the world agreed to help by being my wedding general. I showed up at the wedding site at 9.30 to set up one table for reference. Other people put the centerpieces together based on my example, I explained things like "food goes here" "cake goes here" "people go here". We had paper lanterns to hang on the tents, and I told her to hang them at her discretion. Then, by 10:30 I was able to walk off the wedding site, leave and go get my hair done and not have any fear that things were going wrong behind me. She handled things like our debit cards being declined for our car service [bank issue, not us being out of money!] and a champagne flute getting broken by the wind. She also helped steer people into being where they needed to be and keep things moving so things ran smoothly for me. Don't ask someone to do this who will need to be a lot of other places [like your maid of honor, or your mom] but find a good friend who likes to be organized and who has no fear of telling people what they need to do to make your day run smoothly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007 10:03:11 AM »

My only regret was that I chose fabric and patterns for the bridesmaids rather than ready made dresses - two found a good seamstress, the other two didn't.

That and, at the reception we had a tray of food put aside for the wedding party when we came down - the caterers dropped off the food and a friend put it out - my wonderful friend didn't know this and put out the tray - we had a Wed evening service so we had hors dourves - so she put out the tray and we ended up without food!

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tutu for You
Stay Spooky
Meal Prep Monday: Smoked Salmon Fettuccine

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...