A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,837
Currently Running With Scissors:
245 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make your own drum carder?? Anyone?  (Read 11149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
crazybest
« on: July 02, 2007 04:10:27 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own drum carder, either manual or electric?  It seems if you have some kind of mechanical abilities you may be able to make one, just need to purchase some wood and the toothed fabric.

Let me know if you have and how it worked out.

Thanks
Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barca1au
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 06:40:28 PM »

hi crazybest, have you checked this site out? http://www.spinningforth.com/articles/tools/carder.html
Otherwise a board carder would be quite simple to make - a flat board covered with carder cloth, and either a dog slicker, or if you are really into DIY, you could make a hand made carder. They are similar in shape to a table tennis bat, just not as round or large.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space!

visit me at Caroline's Books'nCrafty Bits
http://kero1au.tripod.com
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007 11:16:47 AM »

I know there's a thread here about this, but I can't find it right now. The issue with making your own drum carder is that carding cloth is frequently difficult to find and extremely expensive. I do know someone who had her husband make her a roving carder and she said that in the long run it didn't cost any less than buying one because the carding cloth was so expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
barca1au
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007 05:13:08 PM »

The article I gave the link to has a link to a carder cloth supplier in the States. I don't know how much your cloth costs, but certainly making your own hand carders isn't worth it, or re-clothing them.
However it is worth making a table carder and definitely worth making a drum carder on Australian prices. Both items process fibre much quicker than hand carders. I have even seen a photo of a table carder that had what looked like a rolling pin with carder cloth over it that you could roll up and down the carder cloth base, that looked pretty cool, and much easier to use!
Cheers, Caroline
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space!

visit me at Caroline's Books'nCrafty Bits
http://kero1au.tripod.com
Aslan B
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014 07:51:12 PM »

The article I gave the link to has a link to a carder cloth supplier in the States. I don't know how much your cloth costs, but certainly making your own hand carders isn't worth it, or re-clothing them.
However it is worth making a table carder and definitely worth making a drum carder on Australian prices. Both items process fibre much quicker than hand carders. I have even seen a photo of a table carder that had what looked like a rolling pin with carder cloth over it that you could roll up and down the carder cloth base, that looked pretty cool, and much easier to use!
Cheers, Caroline
Found another source for carder cloth for drums on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturalfiberyarns?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Looks to be several sizes and densities. You can use it either to make hard carders or roll them around something to make a drum. I think, at $48 for a 9 3/8" by 12" piece of 54 TPI, not bad! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...