A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
108 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ugly sew along!  (Read 10908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
green_olives
« on: July 02, 2007 11:18:07 AM »

I got an idea this weekend when i was visiting my grandmother. She knew i like to sew so she dug up a bunch of old fabrics from when she used to sew, and man there was some ugly stuff! particularly this horrible horrible floral print! http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/deasublime/S6300004.jpg

well anyway i was going to just get rid of it since it was not my style at all but i got an idea. my challenge is to find something ugly that you would normally pass bye and try to make something gorgeous out of it! i think i'm going to try a summer dress for my daughter and i can't guarantee good results but it's worth a try! anyone up for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyDestny
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007 02:31:46 PM »

That's a fun idea!! I think I have some ugly sitting around too! I will have to think about it. When I looked at your fabric, it did scream 70's summer dress to me. The longer the better!! It would make a killer bag too. I sell bags and people LOVE the retro fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
seampoints
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007 05:24:41 PM »

This is a really great idea and best of luck with it. I know what its like to inherit really hideous fabrics (florals especially) I will be watching this thread and can't wait to see your results. I would love to join in, but just have too much going on at the moment with craft projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007 05:30:12 PM »

I think it would be great as a thick vertical stripe on an a-line skirt in a coordinating fabric, with some kind of feminine trim at the hem. Kinda like these from madewithlovebyhannah.com: http://www.madewithlovebyhannah.com/motox.html

That is, provided it's not thin polyester, in which case it wouldn't drape right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007 12:03:40 AM »

hey! I just might be. I have a print that I'm not particularly fond of. And it's in poly, which I'm also not particularly fond of. ANd it's all swishy-slippery, which is not as much fun to sew. But I've been meaning to make something of it, and it just might be time to turn it into a blouse.

Give me a few days to play with some pattern ideas and I'll post pics of its heinous-ness if I think I'm up for it! (*gag*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
knotty_girl
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007 09:04:49 PM »

HAHA, what a great idea.  I have some nasty burlapish fabric laying around here somewhere with, like, mallard ducks and stuff on it. Tongue

Btw, I think your tacky floral fabric is awesome.  It definitely needs to be made into something you'll use at the beach.  Beach mat, beach tote, bathing suit cover up......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knotty_girl
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007 09:10:25 PM »

Gah!  I just had a great idea!  I'm going to go for the ultimate ugly:  I'm going to combine the ugly fabric with an ugly dress pattern I got at a thrift store. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007 03:11:33 PM »

Gah!  I just had a great idea!  I'm going to go for the ultimate ugly:  I'm going to combine the ugly fabric with an ugly dress pattern I got at a thrift store. 

go, knotty_girl, go go go! Is double-ugly like a double negative? So bad it's good? I wonder if you will end up with cutting-edge fashion?

and I'm IN. I made a pattern last night and I have started cutting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
knotty_girl
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007 04:39:13 PM »

Hehe, Fleur, I certainly hope it comes out good. Tongue

I found some ugly burlap flower stuff (looks like sofa coverings from the 70s).  Since I only had a small amount of it I decided to do a bolero type jacket with it and.....it actually looks kinda cool so far.

I only have to hem the bottom of it and the sleeves (hand stitching a blind hem and it's taking for.ev.er.).  AS soon as I'm done I will post up pictures and stuff.

This is fun.  I'm so glad you came up with this idea, green-olives.  Now I'm inspired to try out more patterns with ugly fabric I have laying around. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green_olives
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007 03:37:52 PM »

well after thinking, and thinking, and thinking i finally came up with my game plan. i'm going to attempt to make a dress for my daughter without a pattern! now i just have to get her to sit still long enough to take measurements!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...