A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My third attempt.  (Read 1080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BelovedGoddess
« on: July 02, 2007 06:02:26 AM »

I bought a spindle at a Medieval Faire a few weeks back, spun my first ball that day.  Didn't look pretty so I put it aside.  Decided to get it out and try again the other day.  I had bought some coloured rovings from a local craft shop, supposed to be for felting.  Again my attempts didn't look pretty but I decided to ply them together and knitted a swatch.  At the least it knitted up pretty.
Tried again with a different colour, again the ball didn't look pretty LOL, but I was getting quicker.  I decided to look up instructions on the net and found some great ones with the help of posts on this forum.  After that my spinning started looking prettier  Grin.  Thanks to you all.

I wondered what to make and decided on fingerless gloves, something quick to knit up so I am doing them flat.  I used the 2 colours in stripes, but didn't have enough so decided I needed a third colour.  Went out and bought some fuschia pink roving.  I started spinning and noticed that thanks to the great instructions I found that it was much more evenly spun, hmm but I wanted it lumpy  to match what I did before Roll Eyes.  I had to put lumps in.  It's still prettier than the other 2 balls, even after being plied with one of the earlier attemps.  Trouble now is that after knitting a couple of rows I decided it was too bright to go with the other 2 colours.  NOW I have to go back and buy more colours, one to  match the original colours and more to match the new colour.

Without further ado, here is my 3rd attempt at plying. 

URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2266167650047181552PdDkco][/URL]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhandbags
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007 06:25:44 AM »

I love those colors, even if they don't match what you wanted them to.  I'd like to see what you do with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
Star217
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007 06:56:48 AM »

I think it's great, it looks like one of those peppermint sucking candies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007 08:21:15 PM »

Oh, it looks like something sweet (candy, ice cream, I can't decide).  Might I say, you are so lucky to live close to someplace that sells roving.  I must buy all my stuff online.  I envy you!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007 03:23:29 AM »

Thanks for the compliments, not sure yet what I'll make with it. 

Actually I don't only live close to the place but I work there too  Smiley.  The only problem is that the packets are so small, they are meant for felting.  The packet I got was 10g.

I did buy some natural roving off ebay today, 1 kilogram, can't wait for that to arrive.

Plus I found a place that gives spinning lessons, sells wheels, fleece, roving and accessories, they even hire wheels, that is probably half hour drive from here.  Things are looking up. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...