A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Gauge Problems  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mnemosyne_LA
« on: June 29, 2007 11:06:21 AM »

I'm having a bit of a weird problem with figuring out gauge when I'm using circulars or DPNs:  my row gauge is off.  My stitch gauge (ie horizontal) seems to be fine, but my rows are way out of whack.

I discovered this last night when I completed my first Monkey sock and discovered that the toe decrease part that was supposed to be 1-1/2 inches long is more like 3 inches and now the sock is too long for my foot.   Cry  It fits fine to my foot otherwise, though.

Any suggestions on how to figure this out next time without having to make a whole sock first?  Though now I know the Monkey's twin will account for that extra length.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007 12:03:06 PM »

are you knitting, then turning and purling?

if so what you should do is knit every row. but not garter stitch!

a circular swatch is like an i-cord. you knit across, then push your knitting to the other point on your DPN or circs and then start knitting again but you don't pull the working yarn tight.

does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
sthomson
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007 12:31:34 PM »

Ugh, I have the same problem, mnemosyne. I'm about halfway through a tank top, and I noticed that it's horribly elongated - the waist shaping should have been completely in 2 inches, but it took me 4!

Sorry I can't help, but I can commiserate! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007 01:42:47 PM »

a circular swatch is like an i-cord. you knit across, then push your knitting to the other point on your DPN or circs and then start knitting again but you don't pull the working yarn tight.

does that make sense?

I tried that.  Didn't work.   Sad  I tried not to pull the yarn, but it was so awkward to do and still keep my normal tension that I gave up.  I was ending up with similar gauge to knitting straight because my stitches were more like my "straight knitting" tension than my "circular knitting" tension.

If I'm working with DPNs, it's probably just as easy to make a circular swatch (though it'll be a pain to get four measurable inches in both directions) but I don't know what to do with circulars.  Magic loop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sthomson
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007 01:52:26 PM »

I tried not to pull the yarn, but it was so awkward to do and still keep my normal tension that I gave up.

Do you knit continental or english? I hold the working yarn in my right hand, so what I do when I knit a faux-circular gauge swatch is to make sure I knit an inch or so extra length, then when I push the stitches over and move the yarn across to start knitting again, I wrap the working yarn around one of my left fingers. That keeps the tension tight on the center stitches. Of course, the stitches on the edges are pulled all out of shape, but that's why I knit extras.

Still, I hasn't really helped me much, with my row gauge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007 08:34:45 PM »

Don't forget, a sweater or even a scarf is going to have some weight to it, so once you get more than the length of your swatch, it's going to pull and make the row gauge larger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007 10:04:52 PM »

Do you knit continental or english? I hold the working yarn in my right hand, so what I do when I knit a faux-circular gauge swatch is to make sure I knit an inch or so extra length, then when I push the stitches over and move the yarn across to start knitting again, I wrap the working yarn around one of my left fingers.

I do knit english, so that's a good idea.  I may try that the next time I make socks.  I got obsessed with Monkey, so I suspect I may be a sock knitter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...