A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
131 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's a fair price to offer for knitting classes?  (Read 8447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Jelliebean
« on: October 05, 2009 09:54:09 PM »

I think this happens to everyone who does any kind of craft, but at least once a day, someone at work, or on the train home, or at the dog park or the coffee place will say to me, "Ooh, I wish I could knit!" and I thought today, I could start teaching a very small, very low key, knitting class!
   My only problem is how much to charge. I think I would be buying the supplies, to keep things uniform as far as gauge and stuff, but I work at a crafts store so I get a good discount. I was thinking of teaching 8 classes of about two hours each. Do you think 30$ or so per person, per 'course' is too much? How much would you be willing to pay? I feel like I'm experienced enough with most knitting techniques to be able to cover them. (the popular stuff anyways.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
Jelliebean
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009 09:58:52 PM »

Oh, I'm hitting buttons all over the place without being finished typing.  Roll Eyes Anyways, I think I could do beginning- with teaching how to cast on, knit, and cast off, then purling, and maybe make a scarf for the first project, and then do decreasing, ribbing, and maybe doing a very simple shrug for a second project, and then knitting in the round and making mittens or a hat for a third project, and then doing short rows and shaping to make socks, and so on. (Obviously, I think I'd be splitting this up into several stacks of classes. Or something. I've obviously gotten way ahead of myself here.)
   Anyways, if you've done it before and have advice, or are thinking about it and have ideas, or if you've got wisdom to share and you're going to advise I NOT do it, please let me know! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
mom2blu
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009 06:19:06 PM »

As someone who has taught a variety of craft classes let me advise- DON'T provide the supplies yourself! Really. Provide a detailed class supply list and go from there. Do have items on hand though, available for them to buy from you, in case they buy the wrong thing or forget something.  Don't make the list TO detailed though, when I worked at AC Moore I had to help a customer shop for a beginner knitting class at the senior center, they had her buying stuff she'd never use, stuff I had never even heard of, and telling her very specific brands of what to buy and a list of "unacceptable" yarns and supplies and brands! If you say for example:
1 pair of needles size 8- any length but not circular or double pointed
1 skein of worsted weight yarn- for example Red Heart, Caron Pound of Love (etc etc)
Optional items you will need eventually:
tape measure or ruler
stitch markers
yarn needle

You would have most people show up with stuff that would work just fine. You could also have the first class (if you do a series, more on that in a minute) at the store, and walk the aisles with them explaining what they will need, what that yarn or gadget is for, etc. I usually do this after my craft store classes and the students love it.

what craft store do you work at? At AC Moore, Michaels, etc you may be able to get a teaching job through them, using their classroom.

Our local store does one class, $15. You can come and learn to knit, then come back again and learn a different stitch, or cables, or whatever. Always $15 and no seperate technique or project classes. Just once a month or so you show up and she teaches you the next thing, or refreshes what you learned last time if you need it. I'd advise something more like that. For example, third Saturday of the month from 2-4 you are at x location. People tend to not sign up for series classes, because they feel like if they can't come to one of the dates they might as well not come at all.

I teach various paper crafts, jewelry making, and some other general crafts, and project specific classes have never had a good following.

I recently taught knitting classes as a service at a church auction. One mother and daughter have done it so far and it was about an hour or two. I intend to show cast on, knit, and purl. I showed them long tail cast on, regular cast-on, knitting, purling, yo, k2tog, p2tog, and casting off, all in that period. The daughter wasn't catching on and would have taken more time, but the mother just kept going and asking for the next stitch. Then the mother was going to just show the daughter.

As someone who has been teaching classes in various places, with various crafts, for years, honestly, don't expect a lot. Everyone is quick to say "oh I wish I could ..." and very few are willing to pay to learn it. I go months on end with no student sign-ups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009 01:10:59 PM »

You could work it as a house call kind of thing instead. A class at a local shop might be $15, but a private class in someone's home can be run a bit more and you can charge hourly. If the above advice is true you might as well make more money off the few customers who are actually serious. Carry a biz card around with you and hand them out to those folks who hit you up with wistful knitting longings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

badpuppy

It's a fine line between 'hobby' & 'mental illness

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009 09:50:19 AM »

I'm a bellydancer as well as a crafter, and I offer periodic costuming classes.  I charge between $12 and $20 per hour of class, depending.  The base rate for my dance classes is $12/hour, which is where that number comes from.  People are already used to paying that to me.  I increase the price based on how much prep work I have to do and whether or not to provide materials.

I agree with mom2blu that providing materials is generally much more hassle than it's worth.  And in general, people are perfectly willing to supply their own stuff.  The only time I provide materials is when I teach a short (2 hour) "intro to sewing by hand" workshop.  Since it was super basic and didn't require much in the way of creativity (we were just going through some basic stitches) there was no need for personalized supplies.  I actually made up little kits for everyone who registered which included a small pin cushion with a few pins and needles, a 2-page handout illustrating the stitches, a tape measure, some scrap fabric to practice on during the class) and a kit with instructions for making a headband (really just two strips of fabric and a piece of elastic!).  I charged $20/hour for this, since there was so much prep time involved.

The other class I've done repeatedly is an 8-hour workshop series (over several weeks) on making a costume bra.  For this I charge $12/hour.  The only thing I provide for this is a handout (which is actually quite lengthy), but as I use the same handout every time there was only the prep work for the first time I taught it.  Also, this class has a higher capacity (I'll take up to 20 people, as opposed to other ones where I might take 5 or 10).

Anyway, I feel like I just blathered on a lot about myself, but hopefully it's helpful to hear about what other people do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A-ok with personal swaps.

Attempting my first quilt.  English paper piecing.  Sewing together 900 hexagons.
KaoticKrafter
Creating handmade treasures from recycled materials.

Procraftination- the best way to avoid chores!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011 07:41:10 PM »

This information was very helpful, thank you ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haflick
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017 02:53:25 PM »

Very helpful!  I've taught in a Adult Continuing Education situation (my former school district), but never through a forum like AC Moore or Hobby Lobby.  I also teach a few different forms of embroidery.  Would the pricing be equally appropriate for those classes?  I've been offered a classroom at a local craft store and it's been years since I last taught.

Thanks in advance for any further insight.

haflick
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...