A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yellow squash is in season...now what....  (Read 2409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Daymoth
« on: June 17, 2007 11:42:46 PM »

i love, love yellow squash but love has only taken me so far! i just recieved a (excuse the term) buttload! of it! and so now i'm on the hunt for some good recipes. maybe a squash casserole or some recipes i can use later after freezing a bunch of it? any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007 12:07:07 AM »

My mom makes this really good and healthy pasta by shredding up a bunch of squash and throws in tomatoes, some chicken, practically any veggie, and it makes a really yummy pasta sauce!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007 12:12:28 PM »

Here is a thread about zucchini and I think that you can use yellow squash and zucchini interchangeably.  Summer squashes have a pretty high water content so I'm not sure that they'd freeze well, but if I come across anything I'll let you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Daymoth
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 11:12:48 AM »

they do freeze alright if you like to eat them boiled -good with a little butter Wink but i'm still stuck as to what else to do with them. i will use some of the grilling techniques on the zuch thread and i really like the pasta idea but i'm still hoping to find a good casserole recipe or something similar. thanks for the great ideas so far! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JBoudreau
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007 08:18:45 PM »

Well, it's not a casserole, but I like to saute it in olive oil with onion, garlic and corn. Sometimes I add a bit of shredded cheddar when it's done. Tasty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daymoth
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007 10:02:16 PM »

yum that does sound good. simple yet i never thought of it. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Logodae
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007 11:19:41 PM »

Zucchini bread! It's actually a quickbread, so it's more like muffins than anything. And it tastes nothing at all like zucchini, but it's good. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007 11:20:21 PM by Logodae » THIS ROCKS   Logged
playinghooky
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007 03:26:20 PM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer squash too.  My fave way to cook it is to slice it thinly, brush olive oil and sprinkle salt on the slices and then grill it on the bbq or broil it in the oven.  As a family of four, we can eat at total of 8 or 9 decent sized squash that way, since they lose so much water.  We've been broiling them every few days since they started coming in and they are amazing by themselves as a side dish, or in fritattas, quiche, layered in lasagne, or in sandwiches.  Steaming or sauteing doesn't come close in flavor.  Something I did last summer was to grate a whole bunch of squash, and then I used them in zucchini bread or potato pancakes for a few months.  When you defrost them, you have to wring out the moisture in a tea towel, but if you use two parts potato and one part squash, and get a good potato pancake recipe from the web, you're set.  YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For the love of all things scrumptious or crafty
http://figswithbri.com/
megmoira
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007 09:13:59 PM »

If you've gotten squashes that are big enough, you can stuff them. slice lengthwise, scrape a boat shape out with a spoon, and put your favorite stuffing in 'em, then bake.
One of my favorite foods (Maybe its a Rhode Island thing) is Stuffed Quohogs [big ol' clams]. Its a spicy clam and linguisa stuffing, and i think it'd be divine in a squash instead of a clamshell. mmm, now i'm hungry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Assisted by my kitty, Isabella the Destroyer.~*~
LindsayLuu
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 01:00:28 PM »

Have you ever seen the mock apple pie recipe that uses zucchini?  I bet you could use squash for that. 

I like mine two ways: steamed and added to baked ziti (you could probably freeze that) or breaded (panko or ital. bread crumbs) and pan/deep fried.

(if you've never deep friend squash or zucchini before, you have to try it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat
They Only Love You For Your Brain
Meatless Monday: Creamy Spinach and Potato Baked Eggs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...