A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: baked oatmeal  (Read 3546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

may1em
« on: June 10, 2007 06:21:10 AM »

A while back, on the "cheap food for college students" thread, someone posted a recipe for baked oatmeal. I made it, and it was good. But then I started to think about the fact that the recipe had an entire cup of sugar and half a cup of oil in it. Since I'd been dividing it into 4 servings, that meant I was eating a quarter cup of sugar and 2 T oil each time. Ick.

So I made a couple modifications:
Lighter Baked Oatmeal:
3 cups oats
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 t cinnamon (this is also a new addition)

Mix and add
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup raisins

Pour into 9x9 pan
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Then, the other day, I had bananas that were too soft to eat. So,
Banana Nut baked oatmeal
3 cups oats
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
Mix and add
2 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup walnuts

Pour into 9x9 pan
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

This is not very sweet, but sugar can be added. This is even healthier than my first version because you get half a serving of fruit per serving. No added fat (except the walnuts), and no added sugar!

Now I can feel good about eating baked oatmeal. This is great since it will really keep you going until lunch. I eat the first quarter the day I make it, then put the rest in the fridge and heat for a couple minutes in the microwave.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007 05:02:08 AM by may1em » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss World
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007 01:20:36 AM »

yummy! I love oatmeal ^_^ thanks for sharing! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007 01:18:56 PM »

I'm not much of an oatmeal fan (in fact, I can barely say "oatmeal" without immediately adding "ew") but the banana-nut version sounds really good.  I'd like to leave out the eggs or figure out a substitute because I almost never have eggs around -- any thoughts/ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
may1em
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 04:00:53 PM »

I'm not much of an oatmeal fan (in fact, I can barely say "oatmeal" without immediately adding "ew") but the banana-nut version sounds really good.  I'd like to leave out the eggs or figure out a substitute because I almost never have eggs around -- any thoughts/ideas?

I think vegans use flaxseed ground up and mixed with water, but I'm not sure about proportions, method, etc.

These taste kind of like Quaker breakfast squares. I like to heat them up and add maple syrup on top, but jelly is also a good topping. Let me know how the egg-substitute thing works out. Then I'd have a breakfast option I could serve vegans (if I ever had to feed vegans, but whatever.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007 04:21:42 PM »

I think vegans use flaxseed ground up and mixed with water, but I'm not sure about proportions, method, etc.

These taste kind of like Quaker breakfast squares. I like to heat them up and add maple syrup on top, but jelly is also a good topping. Let me know how the egg-substitute thing works out. Then I'd have a breakfast option I could serve vegans (if I ever had to feed vegans, but whatever.)

Will do!  I've done a bunch of different egg substitutions in the past (including flaxseed  Wink) and actually, now that I think about it, one of them somehow involves mashed bananas.  I'll look it up and probably try it this weekend.  Thanks again for posting!  (It's a longtime quest of mine to learn to like oatmeal...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007 04:34:17 PM »

Does it become portable? I mean, I LOVE oatmeal for breakfast, but I usually have to eat breakfast on the go (usually while i drive to work or school) and oatmeal just doesn't work in the car! Would this be something I could eat in the car? (even if it isn't, i'm still gonna try it for a desert or something)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
wind
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007 03:25:27 AM »

That's sound easy. I still have some oat at home and am finding a way to use it up!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna try to cook a lovely but simple meal for your loved ones?
Then visit: http://windyscorner.info
Enjoy! Smiley
may1em
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007 04:12:24 PM »

Does it become portable? I mean, I LOVE oatmeal for breakfast, but I usually have to eat breakfast on the go (usually while i drive to work or school) and oatmeal just doesn't work in the car! Would this be something I could eat in the car? (even if it isn't, i'm still gonna try it for a desert or something)

It's a little crumbly. I'd say make it and see. I've stuck a square of it in a plastic box and warmed it up at the office.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecoffindontwantme
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007 05:22:11 PM »

That sounds amazing.
I'm definitely making some soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007 05:23:43 PM by thecoffindontwantme » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007 11:10:05 PM »

I made a batch. Dee-lish!! My boyfriend even liked it, and he is such a picky eater! It was a little crumbly, but i could def. eat it if the boy was driving (probably too messy to try to eat if I was driving. I didn't risk it.) I will def. make this again. (with more raisins next time, per the boy's request.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...