A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
258 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this Black Magick dress by Lover? EDIT: I made it!!! yay!!! =)  (Read 5720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
xxboheme

love is the melody

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2007 04:35:11 AM »

Hi craftsters!
I have my school formal coming up around August and would love to save a little and make my own dress. This is the one that I'd really love to (come as close to) or model it on. It's by Sydney based label Lover from the collection Black Magick. I've given up hope on buying it myself since the collection is about 6 years old and the dress retailed originally at $400 AUD something  Grin

I'm sure it's just the gathering and sleeves part messing me up, anybody got ideas? ;-)

EDIT:
Thanks sooo much to Melli's really awesome tutorial! I made a few changes to the back bodice part but all in all its quite close to what I'd originally hoped for! This is just a mock up at the moment, it's made out of this cobalt bluey fabric with sheer polka dots, I'll make the good version when I find the lace that I like.

Amy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 03:19:35 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dizzydragonfly
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007 12:31:18 PM »

Well, you could modify this Vogue pattern (V2940)...

http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V2940.jpg

Perhaps find a pattern for a top that has similar lines to merge in or something that is similar. And the beauty of this dress is the fabric...got to have great fabric!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007 06:53:32 AM by jesssf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
wonderwitch
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007 09:27:48 PM »

wow, ^ thats a great match for the bottom part of the dress, & i don't think you even need to buy a pattern for the top part of the dress, it looks really easy, use the back pattern piece from the pattern and use 2 panels of fabric for the front, and add the proper collar & flutter sleeves.

like jesssf said, the beauty of the dress is in the floaty fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007 08:41:04 PM »

I would make the dress in the pattern, but adjust the front to be lower cut in the front (down to the waist) and then add a ruffle over the shoulders (it would be a long spiraled piece of fabric that tapers off at the ends) that started at the front waist, then went straight up over the shoulder and back down to the waist at the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiss_liss
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007 09:48:57 PM »

Hey if you're interested I made something pretty similar a while back and wrote up a tute...
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=116569.msg1113605#msg1113605
Good luck with your dress!
Melli
THIS ROCKS   Logged

,,`.Melli .`,,
xxboheme

love is the melody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 12:34:47 AM »

Hey if you're interested I made something pretty similar a while back and wrote up a tute...
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=116569.msg1113605#msg1113605
Good luck with your dress!
Melli

thanks melli! that tute was really helpful!
i did a rough copy of the dress in this leftover floral silk - i think i must've measured the bodice bit wrong because it was really low!
check out pics at my blog
http://pretty-french-words.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiss_liss
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007 05:42:34 PM »

Hey that looks pretty cute!  The thing about the poofyness too could be because I used such a thin sheer fabric.  If you're using a thicker type of fabric you might not need so much fabric in the skirt to gather? Hopefully if you play around with it you'll find something that works! Feel free to PM me if you have anything you want to ask about it..

Melli
THIS ROCKS   Logged

,,`.Melli .`,,
knickerlady
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007 11:48:10 PM »

Ooooh... very nice!
I just have to say, you have great taste, I adored that whole collection from Lover - It was huge over here in Aus... there was this white 60's look crochet dress that was just wonderful, I wish I did crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jean Harlow always carries sugar in her bag. She says you never can tell when you are liable to meet a horse." Movie Merry Go Round - 1936
Wink hehe!
You can see my little pieces of sugar at www.kissmequick.net.au
Now on Etsy www.kissmequick.etsy.com
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007 08:26:54 AM »

Cheesy Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
Slim_secret
peek-a-choo

Make ART not WAR.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007 11:35:05 AM »

came out gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiles are my weakness,
coincidence that its your annoyance.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...