A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
241 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: picture frames = a big batch o' shininess  (Read 1418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sewidarity

Nobody knows the tribbles I've sewn...

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2007 06:03:49 PM »

This took care of most of my Christmas giftmaking needs in one evening, whoo hoo! (Obviously, I'm not real punctual with the posting...)

The glass-front CLIPS frames from Ikea are pretty cheap (3 bucks for 4 in the 5" x 7" size, which is what I used) and simple to dress up with decorative paper (on the underside of the glass) and/or opalescent glass mosaic tiles (on top).

Here are a couple close-ups - the paper isn't really cut in uneven lines, that's just my bad camera work.

Since the back (not pictured) is cardboard hooked on with little metal clips, you need to be careful not to glue glass tiles on the four little places where the clips hook. (It kinda sucks that the back is cardboard - I think larger sizes or non-Ikea brands might have something more solid).

I tried making one with translucent rice paper and it looked odd when the photo went in; opaque paper is probably best.

As I didn't want to work outdoors in the snow, I tried a glue called "incredibly crafty" that was non-toxic and safe to use without special ventilation. I was happy with the result - attached glass to glass firmly. Took a few days, maybe more, to dry completely clear, but made a firm bond within hours. Obviously, for gluing on paper you need to be careful  to use a real thin layer so it doesn't get all ripply.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009 02:39:01 PM by sewidarity - Reason: my old photo hosting site went away » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dammit, Jim, I'm a crafter, not a photographer!
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007 07:21:45 PM »

That is so awesome! I love personalizing frames. Thanks for another idea!

Way to go too for taking care of Christmas! Smart!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...