A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
229 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: would you guys want to know...  (Read 10184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007 07:00:18 AM »

Re:  Paris Hilton

Sometimes it makes sense to use bad grammar for design purposes.  Apostrophes and additional letters would not have been nearly as visually striking.

An E?  Come on, give us the E!  She's got enough visually striking going on.  Fork over the freakin' E. Cheesy

Or maybe she couldn't afford the E. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007 07:11:36 AM »

oh my word......has she not had education??? Oh wait...thats for another thread.

It does drive me crazy to see someone have their signs worded wrong. Like our Hardees here..........they misspell all the time, and I cant help but wonder what 16 year old (LOL) has been confused over what 'their' and 'they're' means........... Roll Eyes

Im not a bad person, sometimes I just spell that way....lol.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007 07:19:25 AM »

Quote from: thriftjunkie
so...would anyone NOT want to know if their craftster name was spelled wrong?

This was an interesting thread to read.

I would never PM someone to tell them their screen name was spelled wrong because maybe that's how they wanted it spelled and, who cares really, it's a screen name!

I am a real stickler for spelling and it drives me nuts when I see posts full of mistakes but I don't do anything about them because, in the whole scheme of life, it doesn't really matter.  I will only comment if someone asks if they have spelled something wrong and then I send them a PM rather than post it on the board.

I always read over my posts to make sure I don't miss something and if I do miss something, I correct it as soon as I notice.  Grin  Previewing posts is also a very good idea.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------
Needing an on-line break ... I'll be back later in 2018.
------------
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007 07:28:34 AM »

I tend to obsess over certain things in certain instances (phrases said wrong, certain words and grammatical things) but not all the time. I don't usually stick with grammar and punctuation (I almost never use my apostrophe) but I tend to spell well... except when i type quickly. I was unsure of how to spell "restaurant" until I was 17, and only because I was in an AP english class and EVERYONE got it wrong, so the teacher drilled it into us. "Sound it out, you're not in 3rd grade! RES- TAY - U - RAAAAAAAANT!" He was nuts, in a good (bad) way.

There are certain screen names that are misspelled, or Ive seen people misspell something on a craft (ouch!) before and not realize it. Nothing sucks more than doing an intarsia scarf and realizing you've left out the E...

The mods always point out every instance of "mix tape" or "mix CD" to me. It's mixed, people. A mix of music that has been mixed but not mastered and therefore, mixed CD or tape.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Homerof2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007 07:38:00 AM »

Quote from: vanillaxlight
or Ive seen people misspell something on a craft (ouch!) before and not realize it.

Yeah, that's a bad thing!  I recently was looking at a picture of a craft with a saying and there was a spelling error.  I wasn't sure who I felt the worst for, the person who made it or the person who received it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------------
Needing an on-line break ... I'll be back later in 2018.
------------
IamSusie
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007 07:42:25 AM »

When I'm replying to posts here on Craftster, if I misspell something, it gets a red underline so that I know to correct it.  I suppose that's some sort of setting on my browser or my computer.

Usually it's just a typo and I do miss them sometimes. "Craftster" always has that red underline as do everyone's usernames... Now I also note that username is also a misspelling...I guess it's supposed to be user name.

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton dropped out of high school. 

so...would anyone NOT want to know if their craftster name was spelled wrong?
I don't want to know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007 07:46:58 AM »

Quote from: vanillaxlight
or Ive seen people misspell something on a craft (ouch!) before and not realize it.

Yeah, that's a bad thing!  I recently was looking at a picture of a craft with a saying and there was a spelling error.  I wasn't sure who I felt the worst for, the person who made it or the person who received it.

I can NEVER spell when I'm crafting something...I have to have it written down, in front of me, otherwise I'll be thinking so much about the painting or the woodburning itself that I'll forget to pay attention to the word!  I've misspelled my name before, haha, or put the wrong year! Making a 6 into a 7 is tricky. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 2010 <3
I love my son!
<3 Ethan Orion - December 2015 <3
L-train
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007 08:08:16 AM »

I am a real stickler for spelling and it drives me nuts when I see posts full of mistakes but I don't do anything about them because, in the whole scheme of life, it doesn't really matter.  I will only comment if someone asks if they have spelled something wrong and then I send them a PM rather than post it on the board.

What if someone's screen name is also their email address? And when they're looking for a job they send out hundreds of CV's/resumes (and for the grammar junkies, that apostrophe is supposed to be there. I was stunned when I found out!) with their incorrectly spelled email address on them. And they don't get a single interview. Now does spelling matter?

I don't think anyone should become the self-appointed craftster spelling moderator, but I don't think we should be afraid of helping each other either. If someone posts a craft and how they made it, and I happen to know a less labourious method, I'll probably let them know. It doesn't mean my method is better, or that they have to use my method, but at least it makes them aware of it so they have the option.

Because craftster is such a positive, supportive community I think it's okay to correct each other gently. There are a lot of online forums where you'd get booed off the stage for misspelling things. Also in the real world, particularly the workplace, you will be judged by the way you come across in writing.  Personally, I'd prefer to learn these things in a safe place like craftster rather than out in the cold, cruel world.

I'll get off my soapbox now  Grin And sorry, Homerof2, if you felt like I was having a go at you--I wasn't, it's just that yours was the nearest "spelling doesn't matter" remark I could find. Ultimately it's a personal preference, so there's no right answer as to whether or not you should correct someone's spelling, but I don't think it can hurt if it's done gently and sparingly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007 08:33:34 AM »

What if someone's screen name is also their email address? And when they're looking for a job they send out hundreds of CV's/resumes (and for the grammar junkies, that apostrophe is supposed to be there. I was stunned when I found out!) with their incorrectly spelled email address on them. And they don't get a single interview. Now does spelling matter?

or when i had to cut down my field of applicants to rent the spare room in my apartment, the ones with tons of spelling/grammar mistakes were the first to go.

for the record, i rarely correct my friends on spelling/grammar mistakes, unless they ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007 09:10:19 AM »

our family has a history of being dyslexic, or colorblind. I have color related issues whereas my daughter has problems with dyslexia.

it hurts her feelings when someone corrects her, because shes trying her best, but still messes up letters.

I think that for the sake of someone that is viewing your post and is overlooking your lack of caps you could overlook others that aren't spelling the best or using the best grammar.

jmho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Designated Cutting Boards
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...