A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,837
Currently Running With Scissors:
231 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirate Queen's Booty Bag  (Read 4492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
fangedplotbunny
« on: May 25, 2007 11:33:17 PM »

I've just started this great project after seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and wonder if anyone would like to join me.  Here's a link to the free pattern with picture:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/knitlikeapirate.html
(pattern is a pdf file)

I'm a little nervous since I've never done double knitting but have found a couple videos on line that show how it's done.  The bag is first double knit, then felted, and it's reversible.  A great project for the yarn pirates in your life Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007 01:21:55 AM »

I'll be up for a knitalong Cheesy  I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's on the cards for next weekend.

I know my sister would love this bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
eatyerhartout
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007 03:28:32 PM »

Ah! Awesome! I won't be able to join the knit-a-long as I have several other projects going at the moment, but this is being added to my "to knit" list. thanks for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007 07:41:04 AM »

OhMAN!  Or, more appropriatly, AARRRRRG!  I need to make this -- but I've never done double, and I don't actually know how to do color patterns......

Guess I'll watch and drool....
                                     and maybe finally bread down and spend the money on a color-change class....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
fangedplotbunny
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007 03:55:28 AM »

I learned to do color patterns just by watching a free video online.  It sounds a lot more scary than it is.  Give a look see to:  http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ (about halfway down the page)

I found how-to vids for the double knitting there, too.  I'm probably an advanced beginner knitter, but my best friend (who just learn to knit a month ago!) tried the color knitting and had no problems. 

And if you're looking for yarn for this, I'm using Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks.com at $2.49 a skein.  Shipping was only $2.50 as well.  God Bless Knit Picks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmc_aust

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007 10:15:23 PM »

Well, I'm up to the bottom of the little skulls.  I am doing this as a stash buster, so I'm using an acrylic (I know, it won't felt.  I'm doing a small guage instead).  I have a few mistakes in it where I haven't wrapped the yarn properly, but given it's my first attempt at double knitting too, I think it's good.  Plus it's taken me so long to do that I'm not about to rip it out to start again!

Here's a couple of photos of how it's progressing (please excuse crappy quality of photos):
Outside:

Inside:

I think I did something wrong at the picking up stiches around the base stage because I've been knitting with the inside facing me instead of the outside . . . but it's working, so I'm not too worried about it.  How's everyone else going?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
fangedplotbunny
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007 11:41:12 PM »

Oh, this looks great!  And this is your first double knit project?  Well done indeed! 

Knitting in the round--don't get me started.  I'm never completely sure I've got a project coming off the needles the right way,  so I'm glad you said something about the picking up stitches at the base stage.  I'll be extra careful.  But I can't see how anyone could tell you had trouble.  Looks all nice and tight and perfect from here.

I am still pacing the floor, waiting on my yarn to arrive in the mail, so I haven't even cast on yet.  Wish I'd thought of using this as a stashbuster project, though.  I'd think you could substitute any repeatable image/motif for the skulls, if a person wasn't very skully-oriented.  Hmmm.  The possibilities...

Can't wait to see how your skulls look in the variegated yarn.  Looking forward to your next picture and thanks for sharing your progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007 12:57:32 AM »

Oh man I would love to attampt this... but my knitting skill is basically knit, purl and decreases. Would this be a wise choice to jump into this project to learn? I am pretty comfortable with what I know and I keep looking fr something a little more challenging because a lot of people on this site say that you can only get better with challenge. I just don't know if this is it haha.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
punk is the new blog.
amuse me. amaze me.

Oh, I have quirks. Quirks up the wazoo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007 10:18:40 AM »

in the spirit of pirat-ti-tude, can it be an option to make this, as well?

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/skull_knitting_bag/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog:
http://thealexanderhamiltonproject.blogspot.com

^^Like snark? Pop culture? History?

well, we do.
cmc_aust

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007 09:56:23 PM »

Yupp, I reckon so long as it looks like a pirate, it probably is!  Grin

I ended up ripping out the bottom two rows of the skulls because something went wrong in there.  The second time I did it, I have marked each pattern repeat with a bit of scrap yarn.  This has helped a LOT to make sure that I have the correct number of stiches for each repeat and to make sure that it's all lining up correctly with the rows below.

Also, before I started the skulls the second time, I decided to reverse the way I was knitting in the round so that the black (outside) side of the bag was what I could see as it provides a better contrast for the pattern.  Does this make sense?  I'll post some more photos when I finish the little skulls, they're quite cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...