A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,840
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Burda 7983 Pattern Review: Red & Black Polka Dot Dress  (Read 12763 times)
Tags for this thread: burda_7983  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sewinstuff
You can never have too much fabric :)

styles never go out they just take a break

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2007 05:45:25 PM »

Hi every one I haven't posted here much I think you are all so talented. I am shocked how young some of you seamsters are.   I made a dance dress for my daughter Pattern is Burda 7923

Review:
Pattern Description: This description is from the Burda website
Enchanting Empire-line dress for festive occasions. Strapless dress A with large decorative bow. The balloon skirt is stitched to the lining and gathered upwards. Dress B has broad gathered shoulder straps and a swirling skirt.

Fabric Used: Michael Miller red with large black polka dots 100% cotton and black tone on tone stretch net with all over medium polka dots 100%nylon.  Lined with 100% polyester.Ruffle is attached to the skirt lining and this dress is fully lined.

Recommended fabrics Taffeta, georgette, chiffon I really went off the trail on that one Shocked

Style changes and or alterations made: First I knew she wouldnt like the bubble hem we used the flowing skirt I added 4 1/2 of the net to the lining hem as a ruffle 9 double folded seam allowance. When I went fabric shopping it was such a score to find this net it is very soft and stretchy so it wasnt like the usual stiff tulle ruffle. It flowed nicely with this very full dress. I cut 10 off the skirt pattern pieces my daughter is about 56 to give you an idea how long this dress is if you were to make it a bubble hem using the pieces I think it might look to long. Other than that I didnt differ much from the pattern.

How were the instructions?: Burda always seems to lose something in the interpretation of its instructions I used them as guide lines and did it my way any hoot.

Did it look like the pattern picture?: The style did but with our choices of fabrics it gives this dress a completely different look not quite as dressy as the pattern envelope but this dance was semi formal so we were safe with the cotton and Michael Miller cottons are very high quality this is not the dollar stuff from Wal -mart very nice to work with.

Rating and recommendation: This dress was a pain to make lots of pieces as the front, back and straps are gathered as separate pieces so very time consuming but.. it is darling. I dont think I will make it again because it is a very definite style, maybe the strapless version shortened in a very casual fabric so my daughter can wear it over leggings or something for summer. I will recommend it if you dont wait until the last second like I did lots of gathering and lots of pieces but she loved it as did all her friends plus she is worth it. Wink

Final thoughts: The Top is very very fitted so this dress would not be great for a large busted gal. My DD said this dress was fun to wear because it is so swingy. She felt pretty and with a teen girl that makes this dress a true winner in my book. Grin If any one else has or will be making this please post pics I just love how different this dress  can look by fabirc selection.

In my photo I included a side view of the top so you can see how fitted it is.

I hope you like it and If I can help in any way feel free to ask.
Burda is not a great pattern for beginners but that are really up to date and fashion forward.
BettyJo (sewinstuff)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009 09:06:02 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007 08:22:38 AM »

That's a really pretty dress!  I like yours much better than the envelope picture.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
rachelily
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007 08:20:10 AM »

i agree, yours is ten times cuter than the one on the package!  you did a really great job, and it fits perfectly.  you look adorable!  i love how he matches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lets make us all beautiful
Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007 04:41:32 PM »

beautiful dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bettsi

Linnea, one of the dolls I've made.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007 03:11:52 PM »

Oh my goodness!  That dress looks so darling!  She looks very 1940's in it!  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal;
It is the courage to continue that counts.
-Winston Churchill
turquoisewaters
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007 08:31:44 PM »

That is the cutest dress I've ever seen! It looks absolutely adorable! Great job!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasar31629
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007 09:18:14 PM »

I know it's been awhile- but this is adorable  Smiley  I loved hearing your comments about your DD (she's worth it, etc).  I'm not quite ready for the Burda patterns yet (no instructions, right?) but that's ok, cuz I have too many other ones waiting to be done!  N-E-how- it looked flawless and professional and super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
estelle
Fiddle-dee-dee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007 08:55:17 PM »

You did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Sari
Bitter Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007 09:03:10 AM »

i absolutely LOVE how it turned out.
i wish i had the skills to make one just like it for myself.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaribouOnTheSea

I could make that.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007 02:54:54 AM »

I really like this, I might have to make it!  I love the style of Burda patterns.  And I do the same thing as you, those Burda directions are cah-razy so I just do it however I want  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I log my tales of sewing, crafting, thrifting, and traveling over at  www.rtthvintage.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...