A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: simplicity 8851 skirt  (Read 8809 times)
Tags for this thread: simplicity_8851 , costume , french_maid , nurse , waitress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
rachelily
« on: May 20, 2007 05:37:18 PM »

i got this pattern a while back not for halloween but because i just wanted a simple a-line skirt with volume.  

the pattern used was the simplicity costume pattern, 8851.

http://images.patternreview.com/sewing/patterns/simplicity/8851/8851.jpg

the first time i made it, i didnt want the waist to be so high up and so i tried to alter it.  [it was really funny, actually, because my friend jay was over when i tried it on after i altered the waist and i put it over my head and around my waist and i couldve fit TWO of me in there it was so big!] so the next time i made it i decided, okay, the pattern makers know what theyre doing, ill just let the waist be a little high, and it turned out perfectly.  

the original pattern allows for a petticoat to be built straight in, which i did the first time around [the altered one].  the petticoat comes straight from the waistband and looks really cute underneath, and was really easy to make.  the second time, i left it out, and the pattern was easy enough to follow so that you could just skip the petticoat part should you not want it included.

i decided to use a black grid fabric.

i highly recommend this pattern.  

PROS: the pattern was easy to follow, adaptable in terms of yes/no petticoat, skirt could be made in a day, variety of fabrics can be used
CONS: if you dont want the skirt to be high up on the waist, i would not try to alter it unless you really know what youre doing [heh] and so id use another pattern

has anyone else made the skirt?  [or the top, for that matter?]  share photos or what you thought of it!

p.s. ignore the strange lighting of my photos.  there was a ton of backlight when i shot them and so you can barely see my arms and legs or the background.  im not floating, i promise Smiley
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 05:44:05 AM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lets make us all beautiful
CelticCoyote
Crafting Crazy Celt

Real men wear kilts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007 06:41:53 PM »

That is my wife's favorite pattern for the top.  I modify the top to make it longer (chemise like) and with long sleeves for winter.  It is very easy to use and takes minutes to cute and sew up.  I made the skirt part for a friend for Halloween last year and she loved it.  Your skirt looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CelticCoyote
OkieMist
A choice of words is a choice of worlds - Richard Lederer

Yay for today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007 06:58:50 PM »

I made this pattern in the french maid view for a play of Beauty and the Beast my HS did (about 5 years ago!) My biggest problem was attaching feather boa strips to the skirt part for when I was supposed to be an enchanted featherduster, ie I had no problems with the pattern itself. I made the skirt with the build-in petticoat and agree that it's both cute and very simple. (if you were wondering I attached the boas with snaps to the underside of the skirt so I could remove them at the end of the play when the enchanted objects were no longer enchanted!)

As for the top, which I also made, it was simple but I felt quite large. It looked fine for a costume but I'm not sure I would have ever worn it just around in real life. The sleeves are easy and the neck is very stretchy so if you want it around your shoulders instead of above it works that way too.
 my only pics of that one ->without feathers then with

(Also, if you make the frenchmaid costume be prepared for attention... I had no shortage of boys willing to tie my apron on for me backstage when I had to make quick changes between my two parts... lol)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019 01:53:05 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men. -george eliot
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007 07:33:16 PM »

Ooh I made this one a few weeks ago - sorry for the bad photo (made the sailor shirt too ;P). It was for a fetish dance party - i wanted to do a japanese-gothic-lolita-sailor-girl look...

The only thing i suggest to people is to line the skirt, the tulle cuts up your stockings. Bias binding on the raw edge of the tulle is a good idea too... I'm way off their size chart so i had to enlarge it myself, which was easy.

(Also, if you make the frenchmaid costume be prepared for attention... I had no shortage of boys willing to tie my apron on for me backstage when I had to make quick changes between my two parts... lol)

Hehehe! I agree with the attention thing!

LOVE this skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemadrid
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007 08:36:18 PM »

You did a really good job on that costume? I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelily
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007 08:09:35 AM »

That is my wife's favorite pattern for the top.  I modify the top to make it longer (chemise like) and with long sleeves for winter.  It is very easy to use and takes minutes to cute and sew up.  I made the skirt part for a friend for Halloween last year and she loved it.  Your skirt looks great.

thank you!  and your idea sounds wonderful!  i bet it looks great lengthened like that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelily
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007 08:11:57 AM »

I made this pattern in the french maid view for a play of Beauty and the Beast my HS did (about 5 years ago!) My biggest problem was attaching feather boa strips to the skirt part for when I was supposed to be an enchanted featherduster, ie I had no problems with the pattern itself. I made the skirt with the build-in petticoat and agree that it's both cute and very simple. (if you were wondering I attached the boas with snaps to the underside of the skirt so I could remove them at the end of the play when the enchanted objects were no longer enchanted!)

As for the top, which I also made, it was simple but I felt quite large. It looked fine for a costume but I'm not sure I would have ever worn it just around in real life. The sleeves are easy and the neck is very stretchy so if you want it around your shoulders instead of above it works that way too.
 my only pics of that one ->without feathers then with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/misbr/Various%20images/feaskirt.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/misbr/Various%20images/featherskirt.jpg

hehe thats cute about the boys Smiley i never thought of that, but i bet its true!

what a creative play!  i hope you had fun!  i agree, this would be a great pattern for that and your costume looks amazing!  cute idea for the boas, however difficult they were, they look wonderful (even if blurry).  its funny, i watched that movie last night. 

its a good point, though, that the costume top may not be wearable.  but the elastic is great for versatility.

thanks for sharing your wonderful costume!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 04:02:54 PM by superstitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelily
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007 08:14:46 AM »

Ooh I made this one a few weeks ago - sorry for the bad photo (made the sailor shirt too ;P). It was for a fetish dance party - i wanted to do a japanese-gothic-lolita-sailor-girl look...

http://bp0.blogger.com/_k59rcRoeMfM/RkuTrNYnZaI/AAAAAAAAAQA/-pACodHzNTw/s400/costume.JPG

The only thing i suggest to people is to line the skirt, the tulle cuts up your stockings. Bias binding on the raw edge of the tulle is a good idea too... I'm way off their size chart so i had to enlarge it myself, which was easy.

Hehehe! I agree with the attention thing!

LOVE this skirt!

wow, you look fantastic!!  i have always wanted a sexy little sailor dress ... you did it so well!  it looks professional.

i second you on the lining: i totally agree!  it was itchy to sit down on with the tulle, and it did ruin my tights as well.  it drove me nuts!  plus, i had this wierd netting pattern etched into my legs after sitting a while. 

great job though!  it looks fantastic!

please remember to remove [img] tags when quoting, thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 03:59:57 PM by superstitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelily
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007 08:15:44 AM »

You did a really good job on that costume? I really like it!

why thank you dear! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...