A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tools Library in Toronto/Area  (Read 5192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004 08:50:53 AM »

You know...I would probably make the drive for something like this Grin

I live about 40 min N of Barrie.  This is such a great idea.  

My talents mainly lie towards food (so boring, I know).  I also X-stitch, when the kidlets allow and want to learn to sew (haven't tried since the Two Broken Sewing Machines Incident many years ago, and am also wanting to learn to knit and crochet
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who Gives A Shirt?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004 01:50:46 PM »

It just occurred to me where I pulled my inspiration for my last post... Webgrrls!

For those of you not in the know, Webgrrls was once a worldwide, women-only organisation that provided resources, advice and support to high-tech workers.  Unfortunately, it "sold out" in a big way a few years ago, and a quick check of their website failed to turn up any surviving Toronto chapters, but it's still an inspiring movement.

In fact, I seem to be having a raft of inspirations today!  Here are some more thoughts for a potential Toronto "craftsters" guild or group:  

- I've been impressed with our American cousins' stories of "Renegade Craft Fairs".  Might be fun to organise on a quarterly or bi-yearly.

- One of the coolest groups I've encountered in the past few years was a co-op of music lovers in Grand Rapids, MI. who organised a membership program.  With the annual membership fees, they got admission to at least 6 concerts a year.  The membership fees were used to lure to GR acts that would normally only play bigger cities like Chicago or Toronto.  They also had arrangements with local businesses who provided them with concert space; I saw was a family-friendly three-band show in a *donut shop* of all places, and it was an incredible communal experience.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
http://www.whogivesashirt.ca
==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004 02:10:57 PM »

<several breathless minutes later>

OK, I'm fresh off the phone with Toronto Parks & Rec.  There's a Community Centre (McGregor Park) right next to me which IMO would be a great meeting place - lots of space, next to the RT, etc.  Their room rentals are a little steep, but the girl let slip that a senior's group has a lower/waived fee to use the rooms.  I was put through to an official who recommended I apply for an "affiliation" program which would allow us a cheaper rent rate too.

I'm thinking a low-priced membership would cover meeting space, if necessary, and would allow us to do the Grand Rapids thing and bring in some fun speakers/take some fun classes/buy some equipment (if it gets to the point where a retail-type space is do-able!)

But as usual I'm getting ahead of myself here!  

I'm working on a quick survey to gauge interest in this whole idea.  If there are enough crafters willing to take part, I'm more than happy to organise an initial get-together.  If you'd like to take part, please visit http://www.whogivesashirt.ca/survey.html anytime after tonight (gimme a chance to put the page up!) and email me with some guidance!

Squee!
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
==================
aspiring
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004 08:15:32 AM »

Great idea!  I've been dreaming of that myself, since I read about the Church of Craft in NYC having that kind of thing.  I think they charge a
monthly fee for a membership.  Anyhow, there is a chapter of the Church of Craft in Toronto, have you been involved at all?  They usually meet around Parkdale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who Gives A Shirt?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004 08:38:27 AM »

Thanks to all those who have responded to my survey so far - very helpful suggestions and info!

I've got most of my ideas in place, and have scouted around for some easily-accessed, cheap meeting space.  I should be able to arrange an initial get-together for May, sort of a stitch n bitch meets organisational committee Cheesy ... Maybe Sunday the 2nd?  Feel free to email me if you'd like to attend (note: I've already got the survey participants on my list)

Hi Aspiring: The Church of Craft was brought to my attention, but apparently their meetings are irregular.  To boot, I'm trying to organise this with an eventual tools library/crafting-retail space in mind, and to my knowledge they don't offer these services.  

Having said that, of course, my aim is to make any membership fee for this particular group so low that it won't preclude members from attending other groups, too - I'm not a big fan of paying huge membership sums!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
==================
clumsy
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005 11:35:51 AM »

just wondering if anything ended up happening with this? i just moved to toronto and am in dire need of finding somewhere were i can use a sewing machine. i was hoping toronto had something like http://www.stitchlounge.com/ i haven't been able to find anything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005 01:32:30 PM »

I'm also very interrested in what the staus of this project is.  I live near "Who Gives a Shirt' and I work for Toronto Parks and Rec and I could probley get a space for next to nothing ( if not for nothing).  I would love to meet other crafty-people in the GTA, but I don't have to time to organize a club or meetings myself but would be more then willing to push the paperwork thorough to get a space in a community centre
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmmaK
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005 05:38:31 AM »

Hey y'all

The church of craft (COC) is still meeting.  I haven't been to one but i know of those who have and there is a great group of church ladies to hook up with.  They often meet in a public space.  if you go here http://www.churchofcraft.org/doors/toronto/index.html and sign up on the mailing list you'll get the juicy details.  they just met yesterday so you'll have to wait a bit.

I've met some awesome women thru the toronto craft communities.  Some of which I would feel totally comfortable with asking them for the use of their tools.

I suggest that anyone looking to start up a library of tool should hook up with the COC.  They are already connected.  Why reinvent the wheel?

Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005 12:42:50 PM »

I can't believe I'm doing this but.....I felt really snubbed at the one Church of craft event I went to (harbourfront, last year) That's why I haven't returned. 

I was kind of expecting people that were excited about crafts and glad to meet someone who felt the same way...instead they kind of looked right through me

Anyways...maybe they were having a bad day...but if people wanted to get together on a small basis I'd be up for it

-Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
November 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...