A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
133 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: roving vs. rolag?  (Read 17400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2007 01:17:40 PM »

Okay.  Another beginner question.
I started handcarding some freshly washed wool yesterday.  What I have (according to the  videos at www.joyofhandspinning.com) are rolags.  However, what is the difference between that and roving?  My rolags look like tubes of wool, where the fibers are horizontal to the length of the tube.  But when I look at pictures of roving, the fibers are vertical to the length of the wool, and the pieces are rather long.
Which do I want, and how do I get my wool to look like the roving I see in all the pictures? 

Also, I have cotswold wool- are those considered long fibers or short fibers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feralfeminine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 01:30:24 PM »

You're right about the differences - in rolags the fibers are sort of horizontal (although they get jumbled up more when you spin). Spinning from a rolag makes a "woolen" yarn - the fibers go in all directions, and the yarn is very soft and warm but not very strong. When spinning from roving (I'm assuming you're talking about combed top, rather than 'true' roving, which is more like a large fluffy batt),  you get a "worsted" yarn - the fibers are all pointed in the same direction, and the yarn is very strong.

I roll my rolags the opposite way you're supposed to, from short end to short end, into a very short and fat lump of fiber. Then I start pulling the fibers out of the lump and pre-draft them out into 'roving'. Here's a tutorial, although it's a different method than the one I use:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/KSblendingfibers.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raynbow
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007 02:52:24 PM »

The confusion between roving and top gets everyone at first.

You can pull your rolags out into something like roving by just carefully drafting them out.  But it will still having fibers going every which way.

Like has already been said, if the fibers are really going in the same direction, it's a top, not a roving, and it's been combed, not carded.

However, if you want your rolags a little bit more in one direction, you can roll them 'sideways' off your carder.  Instead of rolling the rolags up from the front to the back, roll them up from one side to the other, does that make sense?  You'll get a slightly different feel that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ignorantamoeba

Hazel and Agnes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007 09:40:27 PM »

You can pull your rolags out into something like roving by just carefully drafting them out.  But it will still having fibers going every which way.

Like has already been said, if the fibers are really going in the same direction, it's a top, not a roving, and it's been combed, not carded.

That's awesome, thanks!
But I'm still confused as to how to get those really loooong strips of wool.  Do you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raynbow
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007 04:37:29 AM »

Well, you can buy them Smiley

If you want to know how to get them from carding with hand cards, there really isn't an easy way.  You can gently draft out your rolags to make them longer, but since they are small they won't make a huge roving.

The only other way I know of to do it with handcards is the tutorial on knitty that's already been linked.

Other than that, you need at least a drum carder to make bigger batts to pull out.  But generally, most of my rovings are stuff thta's comercially processed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007 01:39:51 AM »

I roll my rolags the opposite way you're supposed to, from short end to short end, into a very short and fat lump of fiber. Then I start pulling the fibers out of the lump and pre-draft them out into 'roving'.
Me toooooo!!!! I just started carding, and I did this because I wanted a "roving" like you're talking about. If you're careful you can do it! You'll just end up with lots of little roving bundles. One for each batt you make with your handcards. But that's what you get with "regular" roving anyway. I mean, after you predraft. Well, if you're like most people anyway, and break off smaller sections at a time and predraft those. Anyhoo. yay! great minds, yo. great minds.  Cheesy

here's a pic tutorial:
http://sheepnoirfiber.vox.com/library/post/cigar-roving.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007 01:59:41 AM by patchworkarmy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...