A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Review of Knitting Lingerie Style by Joan McGowan-Michael  (Read 4730 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2007 06:48:20 PM »

Has anyone picked up Knitting Lingerie Style by Joan McGowan-Michael?  It's such a beatiful book!  I wrote a review of the book on my blog for those who are interested.    
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 11:56:47 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MintTea
<3

I am a Sexy Doughnut. Yes I am.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007 03:22:31 AM »

I got this book from Amazon last week  Cheesy

It is one of the very few knitting books I have that make me want to knit all the patterns in it.

I was kind of disappointed at first when I noticed it had more 'clothing' patterns than lingerie, but that changed once I had a good look through the whole book.

I havent made anything from it yet (lack of time + money...some of the yarn required for certain projects is slightly painful to the hip-pocket) but I do recommend this book highly as being one of the more unique, sexy and technically interesting knitting books out there.

Kala, Id love it if you could post your review here Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadkitty
"Not I," said the cat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007 08:32:11 PM »

I picked this book up a couple of weeks ago. It's fantastic! I really love it. You should definitely post a review.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One must either be a work of art, or wear one." Oscar Wilde
http://www.myspace.com/shadkitty

http://shadkitty.blogspot.com/
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007 12:30:27 PM »

I just looked at this today- I would knit almost all of the patterns in it and thats a big deal....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007 12:46:07 PM »

Review from my blog (minus links and pictures):

Since I buy so many knitting/crochet/sewing/quiting/crafting books, I'm going to start doing reviews here on the blog. I always like to read what other crafters think of a book before I buy it so I might as well join in.

On a recent trip to Borders, I picked up Knitting Lingerie Syle by Joan McGowan-Michael. Joan is well known as the woman behind White Lies Designs, her collection of romantic knitting patterns.

The book is broken up into sections that cover several types of lingerie: bras, slips, corsets, camisoles, stockings, and lounge/night wear. The book is full of beautiful photography from Thayer Allison Gowdy. From a vegan perspective, it's wonderful to see many patterns made from non-animal yarns. Cascade Fixation is used in several patterns. The knits come in a welcome range of sizes from the small busted (yay!) to the more endowed woman.

The standout patterns for me are the Basic Bra, Gracefully Gathered Halter Top and Boy Short, the Waist Cincher Top, and the Gartini. Overall, I love the idea of knitting something really special for yourself that very few people will probably see. I know many knitters (myself included) give away their finished objects to friends and family, but handknit lingerie is something just for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007 07:36:09 AM »

i got the book a couple weeks ago. i really like it. i haven't knitted anything from it yet, but i definitely will. i like how the designs are more romantic sexy...a contrast to Naughty Needles which is more my style. It's good to mix it up. My favorite pattern is the leggings at the end. I can't wait to lounge around in those next winter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cosmic_Girl
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007 10:59:42 PM »

My friend just gave me this book as a graduation present. And I'm amazed by how many of the patterns I actually want to try making. I especially want to do the Gathered Halter top and Boyshorts soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steezah
gimme a beat and a bassline

get rich or die knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007 06:53:59 AM »

a co-worker just brought this in today and  Shocked Shocked

some very very nice things, some not so much but I can see other people I know wearing them.

I took pictures of my favourites and will post them on my blog(later today) for those interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropdeadred77
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007 03:35:34 PM »

I browsed this in a store yesterday - practically everything is beautiful, it really put me into high gear to get beyond knowing how to cast on and knit straight lines lol... I ordered the Klutz knitting pack, as their crochet one was awesome (yeah I know they're for kids, but they work!), and this lingerie book will definitely be my next knit purchase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Citrus_Crafter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007 07:57:48 AM »

I didn't even realize she had a book out until I called a friend back home in the States this week and she mentioned it (one of the hazards of living in rural Japan, I fall behind on my knitting gossip). I've purchased a few White Lies Designs patterns off the web site and love them, so I'm really excited to get my hands on this book. It's particularly encouraging that I've been reading such good things about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...