A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 321,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
225 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Socks!?  (Read 1682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

reithegenki
« on: May 05, 2007 07:35:33 PM »

Okay - I did the bad thing that I always do... I bought needles and yarn before finding a pattern.  I know, it's stupid, it's wrong... but, I always go to the yarn store on a whim when I am driving home from somewhere and don't have time to go home and find a pattern to use.

I know this is a problem, that's not what I am asking about. Smiley

I bought - A set of US3 dpns and two balls of Panda Cotton sock yarn in color 2305 (faded jeans)

The yarn store lady said that those would be great for making socks, but then I get home to find a pattern and... all the patterns require size US1-2dpns and yarns I have never heard of.
I desperatly want to knit socks, but this $25 splurge was the last of my spending money this month. 

So - my question is:  can anybody provide me with a pattern to knit womens medium socks with these?  (I wear US size 7.5 shoes)
I don't own any other size dpns and this is the only sock yarn I have. 

Please help, I am tired of knitting squares!

Much love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007 07:41:56 PM »

The first thing you need to do - don't scream - is knit a little square ... meaning you need to know what gauge you're getting with those needles and yarn (the ball band will tell you a gauge, but there's no guarantee that you will match it, so you've got to swatch). Once you know that we can help you find an appropriate pattern so that you can wear the socks once you're done knitting them. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
Now go knit your swatch and report your results back here & good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007 07:43:30 PM »

amen,I second that.....its not uncommon to get excited & do this..........

you can do it, I believe in you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
thriftstoredesk

See? I couldn't have done that if I was dead.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007 07:44:12 PM »

http://www.panix.com/~ilaine/nsocks.html

That's a pattern generator.  It uses gauge to determine how many stitches to use, so you'll just need to make a swatch and go from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
reithegenki
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007 07:45:25 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'll knit my swatch and report back.  I have to go to work in less than an hour so I'll probably post back tomorrow.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisendral
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007 08:49:46 PM »

Rather than knitting a square gauge swatch, knit one in the round. I've found that my gauge is different in the round than it is flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007 07:44:04 AM »

Good point, Lisendral. So reithegenki, instead of the square (which you're sick of knitting anyway) knit a tube!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpuppy
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007 08:08:21 AM »

Once you get your gauge, you might want to try the <a href="http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html">universal toe up sock formula</a> from Knitty.com. I really like doing toe up socks because I like short row toes and heels, and the very best thing about the pattern is how easy it is -- the pattern walks you through all the measurements, you fill in the blanks and VOILA! You have a sock pattern made specifically for your foot.

Gosh, I need to get my current sock project out now. You gave me the sock bug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reithegenki
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007 12:02:53 PM »

Thanks again!  I already knit my square swatch, but I will knit another in the round.  It will get me used to working with the dpns, I'm sure.

Thanks, kpuppy, for the pattern!  That's perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007 12:12:50 PM »

IF you get a chance, there's a great book called the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns that has calculations for generic patters in different sizes and gauges.  It may be a little too late for that now, but I love having it around-- it's great for hats, sweaters, mittens, gloves, socks, vests. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...