A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,357
Currently Running With Scissors:
103 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Atheism?  (Read 6559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gavagai
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007 09:38:17 PM »

The Christian/LoveJesus swap is starting in a week or two. Kind of fun if we would start at the same time.  Cheesy I am not sure I have a swap spot free though.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cait
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007 10:30:38 PM »

I like Richard Dawkins too, but I agree with gavagai- I'm not really sure who his target audience is. Those who are going to read his works or watch his films already agree with him, and those who don't most likely will not give him any attention, especially when he tends to speak down to them. Have any of you read 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris? I really liked that book, it makes a lot of good points.
I'm so excited about this swap! It seems atheists can become very independant, so it's nice to know we're not alone. I can't organize swaps, but I will definitely be an active participant when it gets going. I will have the most time to craft in the next month or two rather than later, so if someone is willing to start it up that would be great. Would you guys be interested in possibly swapping a book too? I'm not sure if that's allowed, it's not really a craft, but the swap would also include plenty of crafts. It would also be, not really expensive, but an added cost, so maybe just swapping book lists would be a better idea. I have so many ideas of things to make and quotes and things to use, I'm excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007 04:21:31 PM »

The difficulty with an "atheism" swap is related to the point mentioned by those who argue that atheism is NOT a religion/belief, but a lack of same -- you wouldn't do a "no Santa Claus" swap because it wouldn't make any sense. (Or it would rapidly devolve into anti-Christmas territory.)

Now, if you want to do a secularism swap or a philosophers swap or Founding Fathers swap, something like that, I could understand it. Or even evolutionary (or any other) science or "arcane" religions. (As Dawkins says, all believers understand what it is to be atheist when it comes to, say Christians non-belief in Zeus.) To a large degree, atheism is defined by what it is NOT, which is why it has such a negative rap.

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pics and projects: http://www.shefightslikeagirl.com/
Contact me any time!
gavagai
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007 09:23:23 PM »

I don't agree. Atheism makes a lot of sense. It is a way of looking at the world, and there are lots of other concepts that could be defined by what they are not that you could still do a swap about. You could do a "not an American swap", where you can only send stuff that is not part of the modern American culture, or an "I don't believe in gender segregation swap", where you send stuff that is themed on tearing down the border between male and female (and other genders if you feel that there are any).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007 04:29:18 AM »

I don't agree. Atheism makes a lot of sense. It is a way of looking at the world, and there are lots of other concepts that could be defined by what they are not that you could still do a swap about. You could do a "not an American swap", where you can only send stuff that is not part of the modern American culture, or an "I don't believe in gender segregation swap", where you send stuff that is themed on tearing down the border between male and female (and other genders if you feel that there are any).

like green things! Grin (sorry couldn't resist.. I'm just amused by the gender neutral baby stuff)
you could send stuff with quotes arguing against some of the biblical statements just as a christian swap might send stuff with quotes arguing FOR it.
You could send "the globe of earth" stuff, as a comment on the church stating very firmly that such a statement is heresy (for very many years, in the past). I mean the church put Galileo through some hardships for his science.
You could make a "galileo: the martyr of science" stuff Cheesy

Just because atheism is on the other side of religions, that doesn't mean you can't make stuff FOR the atheistic arguments rather than AGAINST religion.

And then you could take some humour into account, for example I adore this "letter to [christian person]" that has been circling the web for years, claiming to be directed at different people...
This would make a good t-shirt:
"I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?"
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

Now maybe more sensitive people would consider that as bashing, but in my experience those who are comfortable with their own faith aren't edgy about it, and I've known some "aiming to be a minister" kind of religious people.
Just as most atheists I know aren't threatened by this:
http://www.new-life.net/images/atheism.gif
It's just a sense of humour. And if you can't have a laugh at life, you're bound to die young Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007 01:07:02 PM »

Please use this thread to discuss a swap - not debate an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
gavagai
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007 01:22:36 PM »

In this case though, I felt like Dorion was arguing against the swap, and since this is a discussion about the swap idea, I felt that I was allowed to answer her.

"The difficulty with an "atheism" swap is related to the point mentioned by those who argue that atheism is NOT a religion/belief, but a lack of same -- you wouldn't do a "no Santa Claus" swap because it wouldn't make any sense."

This is clearly an argument about the swap, and I wanted to answer to say that the swap was possible, relating it to other possible swaps.

When it comes to the links to different sites with quotes and images, aren't we allowed to give eachother hints on what themes we can craft on? quotes to include in the crafts et.c.?

I have read the last few posts again, and I'm sorry, but all I see is a discussion about whether the swap is a good idea to follow through and tips on what inspiration we could use to craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007 01:42:49 PM »

yes, we ARE clearly arguing for and against the swap, not for and against the concept Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
Suriah
"I would love to talk dirty to you in bed...

....with perfect grammar, of course"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007 01:56:35 PM »

I don't think it matters what people want to call atheism: religion, lack of religion, philosophy....life choice?? LOL It doesn't really matter, it is still a great swap topic and if we have enough people we can do the swap, right?  And if the swap gets going and people have questions about whats okay/whats not they can ask their partner or ask it on the swap board?  I think it is an awsome idea Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Suri~

"When vegetarians grow up, they become vegans"

"Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I've lost my electron." "The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive..."
mezofoprezo

paint MY name on the bathroom stalls.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007 02:39:24 PM »

Agh! I am tremendously excited by the response... I have to say that I have no idea what would make Atheism not a proper swap topic since it is the absence of religion... hm. I have to go read the swap guidelines to see if I could qualify as an organizer, but I have to say I am pysched. (I actually was inpired by the Jesus Love swap, haha).

Ok! I will be back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not as easy as it was
or as difficult as it could be
for the Samurai in autumn

My blog!
http://mezofoprezo.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...