A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 314,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
174 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone used these tools?  (Read 1755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Glee

gleefulthings.com

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2007 12:34:59 PM »

My hands get really sore from crocheting so I am considering buying some of these tools to hopefully help.

http://image.herrschners.com/itm_img/WW012900.jpg
I found these cushions that sound nice but has anyone used them? I'm wondering if they make holding the needle awkward.

And then there's these things to help with tension:
http://image.herrschners.com/zoom_img/WW010401z.jpg

http://image.herrschners.com/zoom_img/WW010376z.jpg

I would love to hear anyone's opinions on these! Do they work and help? or are they just a waste of money?

<<<edited to remove hotlinked images>>>
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007 03:13:06 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crochet Patterns: gleefulthings.com

My Etsy Store: glee.etsy.com

Flickr: flickr.com/photos/gleefulthings
maillerock

I am NOT afraid of spiders....s-c-r-e-e-e--e-m

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007 01:13:25 PM »

I use the little rubber tubes over my crochet hooks. I use the "grab" grip rather than the "hold-a-pencil" grip.  It definitely helped having a larger size handle but it was still not enough. I primarily use F & G hooks so I asked my husband if he could insert my hooks into some wooden file handles (sort of like the latch hook handles with a rounded, bulbous end). He did and I'm happy now, with much less pain in my hand.
I've been thinking that maybe a round dowel could be drilled to the size and proper depth for a crochet hook to be glued in. That way you could choose whatever diameter dowel would be comfortable for your personal grip/pain factor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glee

gleefulthings.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007 01:27:03 PM »

I think I've seen hooks like that before! Or maybe it was someone on here that posted them. I'm not sure..

In my case, I think I need the padding. I do the pencil grip thing and the finger that the hook usually rests on gets really sore. Sometimes I put bandaids on just so I'll have some padding there. And then my other hand just gets really sore from holding the yarn so tight to keep the tension Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007 01:34:10 PM »

Would those pencil grips that kids use on their pencils help? They come in foam and rubber. I don't know if they'd be too big for smaller hooks, but they might work on the larger sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Glee

gleefulthings.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007 03:31:13 PM »

I almost bought some of those once to try! They'd probably fit a K hook or so pretty good! I need something for my smaller hooks too though. These are basically the same thing I think, just longer and the hole is smaller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007 03:43:39 PM »

Oh the pain!  I thought that I was just a wimp, glad to know that I'm not alone here!  Thanks for putting this up because I am curious too.  I know this is kinda silly, but do think there would be a way to crochet something to go on the crochet hook?  Silly I know, but if it was soft and maybe 2 yarns together it might work.  Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katatsumuli
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007 03:52:28 PM »

I don't crochet (yet?), but one of my lab partners put Floam on her crochet hooks to make them thicker.  From what I saw of it, it worked really well, didn't come off, and was pretty soft. It's like building a custom pencil grip. Floam air dries.

It immediately makes me think of those late night TV commercials, but I think I've seen little tubs of Floam or similar products at craft stores / Toys R Us.

Here's a thing for making Floam yourself (I have not tried it): http://www.beyondsatire.us/?q=node/82

I guess the downside to this vs those soft cushions is Floam does not sound very easy to remove if you don't like it.

I hope that helps Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007 03:57:50 PM by katatsumuli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007 04:43:16 PM »

I think the grip would be good, but I think you don't really need the tension tool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
everkutz
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007 06:41:22 PM »

I made my own grips for my hooks with Crayola's Model Magic.  I took a bit of two different colors (pink and yellow) and then wrapped it around my hook and rolled it back and forth.  I then held the hook with my newly formed grip like I was crocheting to make it fit my hand.  Then leave it dry overnight and you have the best and lightest grip ever!!  I tried Sculpty clay--the kind you have to bake, but that makes a heavy grip. 

Someone suggested placing an alphabet bead that corresponded to the hook size on the very end/tip of the new grip, since you will be covering the size with the Model Magic.  I didn't have any alphabet beads at the time, so I just used a pen to put a "G" on the end.

I will be making Model Magic grips on ALL of my hooks!!  Ok, well, I will leave my Clover soft grips alone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007 08:06:45 PM »

If you use metal hook just wrap fimo clay around them & grip it like you normally hold your hook, bake.....voila custom hooks

I find the long wooden hooks are less of a strain on my hands because I can hold them farther down on the shaft so the rotating motion I make isn't as much. (not sure if this will work if you hold your hook like a pencil though).

I wrap my working yarn once around my pinky finger then the index. I dont have to keep them in a cramped or bent position that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Danish Heart Basket
O, Christmas Tree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...