A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Best Fog Chiller - A Tutorial  (Read 104780 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , halloween_decoration , halloween  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TrentSketch
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007 08:15:50 AM »

Your right, Amy, styrofoam coolers are the norm.  I can just never find one.  When sealed properly, the tub stays very cold for  along time.  It's more the quantity of fog entering the tub that melts the ice rather than temperature changes caused by the construction materials. 

And you can get much larger storage tubs than you can styrofoam coolers.  The biggest added bonus is how the storage tub could still be used to store all your reusable Halloween supplies safely away until the following year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LifeInNeon
Ich heie Superphantastisch!

"Shes never even seen her box!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007 11:05:25 PM »

I wish I could help you out with that LifeInNeon, but I'm really not sure how you could get around that.  I'm sure there's some way to hack the hardware to run off of a timer, but that's well beyond my skills.

its ok, it just so happens that the day after i asked the question my friend and i wanderd into Spirit(its a halloween store) just because we were suprised it was open, and as we were about to leave i found one! a timer that plugs right in where you normally plug in the button press one! it was meant to be...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The scissors have learned to run on their own, I fear this might be fatal.
osbock
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008 01:32:47 PM »

excellent! I've tried to throw together fog chillers usually at the last moment from materials on hand. I think I need to go get these materials and do it up right
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008 09:58:13 PM »

My boyfriend and I made one of these with even a smaller container and it worked pretty good.  They really do work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
smnelson10
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010 04:21:11 PM »

Have you ever thought about dumping the ice in the tub, and putting a bag of salt in it? To make it even colder than just the ice itself?  Or do you usually just put entire bags of ice (including the bag) inside the tub?  Just an idea/thought.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010 10:11:19 AM »

I think the problem with the ice+salt idea, is the ice melts the salt, and you want the fog to travel through the spaces between the solid ice.  You'd have to replace the ice more often, and if too much melts, it might get too close to the hole towards the bottom when the fog machine is hooked up. 
Also, I think it would cool the fog more if the ice was not in bags, since it would have to travel more through the spaces between ice, than around the bags - more surface area would be touched on the fog's way out.  But it's probably a good idea to test it out using bags of ice in the cooler, so you can put the ice back in the freezer to reuse before the big night. 

If I'm wrong or not thinking something out completely, please someone correct me.  This is just my logic, and considering it's Sunday morning, & I've only JUST got my coffee, it may not be that reliable.  Wink

I totally intend on trying this, although probably with a styrofoam cooler, just because it'll be easier to cut through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
stewartb
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014 04:17:37 PM »

Cool!  Where the PVC touches the fogger, though, I imagine that gets pretty hot.  Have you had any problems with the PVC melting or deforming? 

I am totally doing this, this Hallowe'en.  Just wondering about the best way to attach the PVC.  I'm thinking duct tape, mostly because I want to be able to break it down for easy storage.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...